Urgent help required

Paul64

Hi everyone,

I know this is not a Land Rover, but I couldn't think of a better place to get urgent help for Andy and Louise who are travelling down to Africa in a 4x4. They are down in Turkey somewhere and have got a nasty noise coming from their front end and would be grateful for any opinions.

http://www.surfingafrica.net/2011/02/01/help/

Thanks in advance, Paul

Sounds like something stuck and rubbing against the wheel, or maybe against the venting in the brake disc?

Really can't think of a mechanical failure that would produce that sort of noise.... possibly a CV I suppose, but still a strange one.

Sounds like something stuck and rubbing against the wheel, or maybe against the venting in the brake disc?

Really can't think of a mechanical failure that would produce that sort of noise.... possibly a CV I suppose, but still a strange one.

Yes, I thought it was something binding. I suggested break disc, but thinking about it you usually get a higher pitched noise than that in the video. What about a collapsed bearing?

If it was engine speed related it sounds like a very poorly PAS pump or something of that sort, wheel-speed wise there's only so much there (wheel, disc, hub, bearings, cv) and I would think visual inspection / a bit of investigation (eg check the wheel bearings, spin the wheel) would turn it up pretty quickly.

If it was engine speed related it sounds like a very poorly PAS pump or something of that sort, wheel-speed wise there's only so much there (wheel, disc, hub, bearings, cv) and I would think visual inspection / a bit of investigation (eg check the wheel bearings, spin the wheel) would turn it up pretty quickly.

Thanks John. I have put a link to this thread directly on their blog request for help, so any suggestions should be picked up by Andy and Louise pretty quickly.

Cheers, Paul

It does beg the question, if it turns out to be any of the reasonably obvious faults listed so far, how is it that they can manage to post a video on youtube asking for help from the middle of nowhere, but not locate & fix it of their own accord :ph34r:

I can't look at the vid from work but if they are on gravel roads in Africa a stone stuck in the caliper or disc guard would be most likely. We get it all the time here - sounds like a wheel bearing totally collapsed - often disappears quite quickly. Reversing up fast and slamming the brakes on hard sometimes shifts it, if not take a wheel off or wait for the stone to wear out :)

Difficult to diagnose without more info.

Get them to video the car from stationary, accelerate to a speed and decelerate back to zero with a gear change in the middle. Try revving the engine with the vehicle stationary also. This will show whether the noise is engine or wheel speed related - or unrelated to either.

It sounds like it could be air in the PAS system. If it were a wheel bearing, I would expect the frequency to wobble as it drives.

Something trapped in the brake pad as Steve suggested could do it, but I would expect a more metallic sound as the brake disk will tend to 'ring'.

If it's not the PAS, I would be inclined to take that wheel off, take the caliper off and inspect it carefully.

Si

Thanks guys for all your input and help. I have just had a look on the Surfing Africa site to see that the noise has gone without any intervention, so not sure what the problem was. I am more than a little disappointed that they couldn't be bothered to thank you all for your quick responses and valuable input, but maybe I'm expecting too much :(

http://www.surfingafrica.net/2011/02/01/help/