Working Under Vehicles With A Suspenion Lift

stuck

Hi all,

Was changing the suspension on my 110 today,

Lying under the truck looking at the big trolley jack and three bricks supporting the chassis under the tow bar :unsure: I was expecting a visit from the Darwin award committie... :ph34r:

So come on chaps, how do you do similar jobs safely?

I have some HGV axle stands but they aren't tall enough and are as dodgy as the above method when balanced upon a pile of bricks.

Good question, I still haven't really found a great way of getting around it.

When I do suspension work....

• Jack up the axle
  • Remove the wheels
  • Support the chassis rails with normal axle stands near the trailing arm mounts (around 3T ones, nothing massive) with a further 2 near the fuel tank rails for safetys sake
  • Then drop the axle down so it's lower than it normally would be, I do this in stages to make sure the load on the stands is even
  • Then from there I do whatever work on the springs

Bigger axle stands?

Make your own? Well engineered stands - with a wide base - would be better.

The thing about bricks is that they can fail catastrophically.

Which means they crack, and the crack "flows" down all the bricks, and you can guess the rest.

Even Wooden blocks are safer!

Careful out there - there are more fun ways to die.

Hi i had similar worry one day laying under disco so placed axle stand under there as well.

STILL not happy so made up a threaded bar 1" thick adjustable via a nut. Angle iron welded to the end which fits up under the bar that holds the cup on hydraulic jack. Other end has a tube that 1" threaded bar slides into. I welded angle iron to one end this fits over the front axle of jack.

So in use I jack disco as normal to height need then slip this into position and adjust nut on thread bar until it snugs down.

To test ive droped jack down and left support in place without any problem.

sorry no pictures as yet.

You should be alright with wooden blocks under the stands. I'm sure that will be frowned on by other members but wood always gives fair warning, hence all the mines down here being held up with pitch pine stays, bricks on the other hand... eeep!

When I have needed to extend the reach of an axle stand in the past (to change a rear axle) I used large wooden blocks underneath them, large enough that the stand was fully supported so no stability was lost in that respect.

I have a larger set of stands now, much better all-round and I feel safer with those in place. Still don't like being under vehicles that are on stands though, will always have the wheels on if possible. And a wheel under the axle/chassis if not, to catch it if it falls.

for 27 plus vat (or atleast something close to that) you can buy a pair of 6ton axle stands from..... PADDOCKS!

As stated in the first post I have a pair of HGV axle stands way over 6 Te, height is the issue not weight.

You should be alright with wooden blocks under the stands. I'm sure that will be frowned on by other members but wood always gives fair warning, hence all the mines down here being held up with pitch pine stays, bricks on the other hand... eeep!

I find wood to work very well, and when stacking blocks they stick together unlike bricks.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Fozsug where are they from? (Can't make out the lable).

Are they tall enough to fit challenge suspension?

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Mick , got them from my local commercial vehicle factors, they are 10 tonne, 700mm lowest 1300mm highest, so plenty big enough. Not sure of the make cost 60 quid.

Cheers

Tony

im waiting to be crushed as i can never be bothered to find 2 axle stands. bottle jack one side under chassis, axle stand other. trolly jack under diff so i can raise/lower axle as i need...

however i do wobble to it buggery before crawling under it lol

if the wheels are still on you will be fine :unsure: will clear you , unlsee you are a large chap :P

I wish I had that much space.

You would have a lot more if you had a tidy up! :ph34r:

ha ha , its really not that bad now , that pic was a while back , bought a rook load of racking last summer and put things away , defently lucky with the room , thats just one bay of a 3 bay cattle shed , but now we dont farm any more have plenty of space for carp (um i mean usefull things ) :)

Why cut up the sleepers?? In fact, why use sleepers - they are heavy and awkward. In the past I have used 2 lengths of 4"x4" on top of each other on top of the axle stands.

Jack up the truck, slide the wood under the chassis from side to side, then put the axle stands under that... It means the stands are still based on the floor and the 'jaw' digs into the wood at the top...

To be honest, if you are working on springs, you are better off jacking up one corner at a time, taking the wheel off and then dropping the axle as low as it will go.