what series is better

tonylr4x4

hi all,

thinking of getting a cheap series, dont mind doing abit of work to it, its all part of the enjoyment of it :)

anyway, i would be using it for camping trips and shows etc aswell as a day to day car :unsure: , and would like a fair bit of room in the back.

what would be better a 88" or a 109" 2 door model (large tub) :unsure:

hi all,

thinking of getting a cheap series, dont mind doing abit of work to it, its all part of the enjoyment of it :)

anyway, i would be using it for camping trips and shows etc aswell as a day to day car :unsure: , and would like a fair bit of room in the back.

what would be better a 88" or a 109" 2 door model (large tub) :unsure:

I think you already answered your own question, didn't you?

Or does it?

How much kit can you get into a SWB? you'll be amazed!

SWB as a daily drive is much better thasn the 109. But that's my opinion.

If you are using it for camping trips, are you planning on staying inside the landy, or roof tent, or your own tent / caravan?

I have owned several swbs, both SII's SIIA's and series 3's.

SII &SIIa have the benefit of historic tax status, very basic mechanics where as the series 3 has a heater, windscreen wipers and more modern equipment, and you can get some tax free (Pre 31/12/72) models.

Performance wise, not much in it really, slow, thirsty and heavy! (But call a surgeon to remove the grin from your face!)

Also, Station wagon? Soft top, truck cab or van sides?

Options options options!

At the end of the day you have to live with your purchase! So what ever you get, you can have alot of fun suiting it to your requirements!

Have you tried driving a 109 with van sides?

You need to have your mirrors set exactly as you have a huge blind area! (One of the reasons why i sold my ex electricity board 109)

Sure you have a larger load area, but severly impeeded side vision.

I seen a few conversions to put side windows into a 109, which does help with the blind spots.

I also vote 109 - and van sides are no worse than driving anything else that's a van or even many modern cars with rubbish visibility. Reversing cameras are cheap as chips on eBay too.

You can nearly get loads more in a 109 than an 88, even a CSW with 5 seats has a bigger load area than the 88. The wheelbase really doesn't make as much difference off road as people believe - for every tight tight bit a SWB does better at there's a bit where some extra length helps get across.

cheers for that, i think ill be looking for a 109 hardtop, with van sides. :D

I have a 109 with van sides, i have no probs with vision blind spots, as long as you are aware of them just take them into account and you will be fine.

You can comfortably sleep in the back of a 109, but you can't in an 88. 109s are also more stable at higher speeds and towing, ride better on tarmac and are capable of carrying a load with more than two occupants...

My family now also owns a Lightweight, which is just another type of 88 with slightly bigger load area, and with the kids in the back there's no room for anything else. The 109 is better for everything except one or two person town driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Late series 3 109 I never cease to be amazed what won't fit in my 88 but I do enjoy the later tweaks and mods like 5 bearing engines and improved break performance

Oh, yes, brakes on the late series 3 are superb, as good (or better) as those on my Eurobox. No wonder they are rated for a 4 tonne trailer!

G.

Oh, yes, brakes on the late series 3 are superb, as good (or better) as those on my Eurobox. No wonder they are rated for a 4 tonne trailer!

G.

Guess you never experienced REAL brakes ;)

rears, 335x18 ventilated

IMG_7985.jpg

fronts, 311x32 ventilated, 4piston calipers and extra large pads

IMG_8020.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!! :P

Guess you never experienced REAL brakes ;)

rears, 335x18 ventilated

IMG_7985.jpg

fronts, 311x32 ventilated, 4piston calipers and extra large pads

IMG_8020.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!! :P

Well, they do look great!

Mine are entirely adequate. They've stoped the land rover, trailer with a range rover on board, with sufficient severity to cause the seat backs to flip forward.

Good enough for my driving. And easy to insure!

G.

Well, they do look great!

Mine are entirely adequate. They've stoped the land rover, trailer with a range rover on board, with sufficient severity to cause the seat backs to flip forward.

Good enough for my driving. And easy to insure!

G.

Sounds like yours worked better than mine ever did (when I still had drums). I started with non assisted drums and they were terrifying. I'm very tall too so my legs are in a Z-shape that seriously reduces the amount of push you can give the pedal.

The brakes I've got now are fantastic for me, not much pressure is needed to flip the seats forward and let the windows slide open by themselves :D .

Next thing to do is clutch-assist.... same problem with the seating position (legs in Z-shape) and a very heavy clutch (Toy clutch, LR master).

Sounds like yours worked better than mine ever did (when I still had drums). I started with non assisted drums and they were terrifying. I'm very tall too so my legs are in a Z-shape that seriously reduces the amount of push you can give the pedal.

The brakes I've got now are fantastic for me, not much pressure is needed to flip the seats forward and let the windows slide open by themselves :D .

Next thing to do is clutch-assist.... same problem with the seating position (legs in Z-shape) and a very heavy clutch (Toy clutch, LR master).

Try a td5 defender clutch pedal. It has an over centre spring, which once goes 1/2 way, it does most of the shoving!

Anyway, be grateful that tall people are now accommodated, and welcomed, in society nowadays. Personally I've never had a problem with them, but it is great to see that society is opening up and accepting those with physical differences.

Well done for being so open! (kidding)

G.