Ideal travel toolkit

I have a small 1/4" drive socket set, a screw-driver with a selection of bits, Stanley knife, junior hacksaw, some wire and crimps/crimpers, pliers, small needle files, selection of assorted nuts/bolts/screws, bunch of hose clips, load of cable ties, and whatever else finds its way into my small toolbox in the car!

Anything that can't be fixed/bodged with that lot...I call the AA out. That's why I pay for it after all!

I always car the fuel tank repair putty. You know the stuff that is two bita of putty that you mix together and put on your tank repair holes

But this stuf has many more uses

I have used it to repair fuel tanks but also rads, holes

In the dif and axle casing and other holes in stuff for the size well worth keeping in the car

Green flag better.....you must enjoy looking at scenery my only two experiences both bad very long wait then trailer driver came out and took me to a garage where we abandoned the car cos it was closed.

In the absence of an AA card why not just have a sankey with in built drawers then you should just about cover any of those little niggles that occasionally beset Defenders, like prop shaft shear, gearbox not selecting, lights failing, wipers not, rear spring snapping, brakes binding etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My kit consists of the following, in no particular order (ahem)...

Small ammo tin (made for .22 calibre rounds) containing:

basic socket set in a ziploc bag (less like to spill and can be close quickly in a hurry, unlike blow-moulded plastic cases..)

spanners inc one adjusty-wrench

Molegrip

Screw driver with interchangeable bits

Screwdriver set

grips/cutters (or leatherman if you prefer)

cable ties

duct tape

WD-40 small can

easy start (careful this stuff is addictive, only for dire emergencies)

tank repair putty as above

High-Viz vest

Few bits-o-rag

Bag of Swarfega handwipes from the poundshop

First aid kit

Spare bulb kit

Stuff that won't fit in ammo tin:

Wheel brace with 27mm socket!

Work gloves

Tow rope of some kind (make sure the ends will fit a Landie and a Eurobox!)

HD jump leads*, preferably connected to a hardwired Anderson jump-socket system.

Torch with spare battery

Warning Triangle

Can of spare fuel with filling spout securely fastened.

Jack

*This is the only item that can't be described as 'cheap and cheerful', as a modern battery even from a small car will jump-start most things, but not if the cable is too thin. Plan on at least 25mm2 cable, 35mm2 is better. And be careful, I spotted a set of leads in B&Q marked 'equivalent to 25mm2' when in fact all they were was 16mm2!

AA/RAC/Other membership card in wallet!

Keep in mind that when in Europe some of this stuff is compulsory. You may wish to label the ammo-tin "Tools only/Seulement Outils/Inhalt nur Werkzeuge!" if you're worried about jumpy border-guards :D

All that said it is possible to over-do it, especially in a Landie.

AND, if you drive a truck cab like me where would you store them?

I am looking for something that is lockable that can bolt down in the tub.

An aluminium too/truck box?

Ant ideas?

Thanks.

You mean like this?

http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsnet.co.uk/store-chest.htm

I have this and the 'store drawer' in the back of my 90 and they create a completely flat floor in the back.

Just keep a Smart in the back like a lifeboat...

The minimalist long distance trip kit is a 3/8 drive ratchet with 10, 13, 15, 17mm sockets, 3" and 8" extensions, a set of combination wrenches (OK, OK, spanners!) in 10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm sizes, a pair of 9/16 combos for prop shaft bolts (I really should by the proper tool), large and small flat screwdriver, large and small phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, water pump (adjustable) pliers, flashlight (3 D Maglight with LED bulb), duct tape, electrical tape, WD-40, litre of engine oil, litre of 90w gear oil, gallon of water, two ratchet straps, various size zip ties, cheap coveralls and gloves. Everything but the fluids fits in a small duffel, wrapped with a couple of bungee cords to keep it quiet and to have some bungee cords! And my Leatherman is always in the cubby.

Ratchet straps are very useful. I once had a front lower control arm break on my BMW sedan, I was able to use a couple of large wrenches, some duct tape and the ratchet straps to mend it (think splint on a broken bone) and allow me to limp home 2 miles instead of calling a tow.

Like JJB Serenity, all my tools stay in my wagon, in a large green box that fits between the wheel arches and up to the top of the bulkhead.

Which is mainly my Halfords black toolbox

'Aquired' from my last job, belive it used to house a printer/computer for transportation in the field.

What i do need to get though, is some recovery strops etc.

Ohhhhhh and my AA card!!

Like JJB Serenity, all my tools stay in my wagon, in a large green box that fits between the wheel arches and up to the top of the bulkhead.

Which is mainly my Halfords black toolbox

'Aquired' from my last job, belive it used to house a printer/computer for transportation in the field.

What i do need to get though, is some recovery strops etc.

Ohhhhhh and my AA card!!

opppsss meant my green box was aquired from the last job...not the halfords toolkit!!

opppsss meant my green box was aquired from the last job...not the halfords toolkit!!

Vise grips, 27 deep socket and brace, starting handle, maybe a screwdriver (for the points). Though I plan to fit a 200di, so I'll leave the screwdriver and starting handle at home in future.

G