Rover V8 crank pulley - what's this?

lansalot

Finally getting round to the engine transplant. Two hours of work (damn, aren't land rovers easy) got me to the stage of ready to lift it out. Will be moving various bits over to the new engine including the pulleys etc. I see a very deep socket is perhaps going to be needed to loosen the crank pulley (or do they just unbolt off the face?). But, I'm curious - what's the design on the end of this for?

I wasn't planning on rodding any drains with it... One-way drive for something (not that my engine is supposed to turn backwards..)

post-4925-0-83381200-1301907688_thumb.jpg

I haven't prodded it yet, but now I'm dying to! I had thought it was metal from a look, but something to protect the thread sounds more like it. If it is to protect the threads, then it's quite possibly the only decent mod the previous owner did on this truck.

(next-stop, replace the unpainted roll-cage section you can poke your hand through)

It's like the end of the corkscrew bit you stick down the end of your drains when the rods come out..

Looks like a slightly broken(one ear missing) crank handle thingy :)

Land Rovers easy to work on........? I could get the engine out of my MKI Fiesta in 45 mins, and that was doing the job properly.... no gas axe involved! :)

Could you seriously hand-crank a V8 into life ? Front crossmember in the way a little too I bet.. ;-)

Can't wait to get home and find out more now. That said, I just can't wait to get home. Work. Only fools and horses, Trig...

it's the dog for a cranking handle. my dad had a 1980 RRC which had one. when the battery was too low to start it, we got it running by cranking on the starter while using the cranking handle. it was hard work but it did actually work

Standard LR Method (Not endorsed in any way at all as it has the potential to do damage to you and your vehicle!) :

Fit socket to breaker bar.

Rotate until bar is about 1" under chassis rail.

Turn engine on starter (disable engine from starting too!).

That sounds a bit reckless!

(oh, wait... :P )

I've never found it to be that bad a job tbh, go to tool shop, spend all of a fiver on the correct deep socket, stick breaker bar on & undo it :unsure:

Or alternatively spend days p*ssing about for the sake of a fiver in std LR owner fashion :ph34r:

OK, I did a little measuring. The engine going in, it looks to be about 24-5mm (and a 15/16ths fits well). So that's fine.

However, measuring the old one you see in the picture, it's around 32mm !! And I'm going to need a length of around 40mm to get over that shank to get to it. Nightmare. I just know this is going to be an ordeal already...

Does the 32mm sound familiar to anyone?

OK, I did a little measuring. The engine going in, it looks to be about 24-5mm (and a 15/16ths fits well). So that's fine.

However, measuring the old one you see in the picture, it's around 32mm !! And I'm going to need a length of around 40mm to get over that shank to get to it. Nightmare. I just know this is going to be an ordeal already...

Does the 32mm sound familiar to anyone?

The old one for the starter handle probably is about 32mm as 24mm sounds very small in diameter to get the dogs for the starting handle on plus a shaft diameter

Buy two sockets and one bolt!