Propeller shafts

Is it best to fit new universal joints or replace the complete propshaft with a complete cheap 'British' Part? I am thinking that the splined slider may go sooner rather than later. Also, I do not know if any damage has been done to the propshaft as the joints are very loose. I hope that a new complete propshaft with come with new nuts & bolts.

PS Thanks to previous help for tracking down the cause of the vibration when accelerating.

PS Are gaiters worth fitting?

post-29713-0-06473500-1302383568_thumb.jpg

new props don't come with the bolts/nuts, you have to either re-use the existing items if they are in good order or buy new bolts/nuts.

if the rilsan coating on the sliding section is damaged, it can't be repaired AFAIK, so it'll be new replacement prop time.

IIRC 90/110 never had rubber gaiters fitted on the prop sliding section, but that's not to say you can't fit one, but ensure the prop alignment is noted & re-instated after fitting a gaiter & before tightening the gaiter clips.

Fitting a gaiter over the sliding joint will greatly prolong the life of it - providing you grease it well before fitting the gaiter. The parts of the prop that contain the universal joint are cast iron and most of the time don't get damaged when the U/J wears.

Les.

I've never replaced a prop because the u/ j needed changing. Now that I read Land Rover forums it seems the in theng to do. I've yet to understand, is it the replace and not repair thing or simply not knowing what is and is not worn.

I had to fit another prop to the front of my Defender last year when a u/j went. That was because the prop wasn't re usable.

I've never replaced a prop because the u/ j needed changing. Now that I read Land Rover forums it seems the in theng to do. I've yet to understand, is it the replace and not repair thing or simply not knowing what is and is not worn.

I had to fit another prop to the front of my Defender last year when a u/j went. That was because the prop wasn't re usable.

I agree |I have only ever replaced U/J in Landrover props , they are replaceable , thats why they have circlips and are not"staked" . I have had to replace 1 rear prop, because the vehicle came down on a boulder , and smashed the uni bending the prop in the process. I have always fitted the gaiter if missing , IIRC they used to be standard fitment .

Why do the staked ones seem to last forever ?

I worked at a Ford main dealer for 7 years. Mostly Transit. The u/ j's were staked, even on the extended chassis. I don't remember replacing one in that time. Why

I served my time at United Omnibus Company Darlington. Started in the drawing office.1954. One of my first jobs was to draw a prop yoke. It was reasonably large and shew the cracks on that yoke......

just a bit twisted, unwrap it & weld it back together, it'll be fine :rofl:

Over-kill

Bit of duct tape and bailing twine should do the trick. Maybe some chemical metal for luck.