Series 3 109 Forward Control Fire Engine

M&S

Hi all, thought I'd introduce my first project/series/restoration

I recently purchased a Series 3 FC Fire Engine from Northern Ireland and thought I'd share a photo of it here (some of you will no doubt know it already), and hopefully generate some interest/help with the "restoration" :)

For now here it is after a 460m round trip (plus ferry)

We got some interest driving home with it that's for sure, also upset a few people who were no doubt late for their TV dinners after getting stuck behind us for 5 hours but hey :P

It has the 2.6l 6cyl petrol engine, which I would like a workshop manual for...I'm learning about the vehicle as I go along, the only way for me to learn.

At the ferry port waiting to cross.

post-12723-0-16234500-1302896248_thumb.jpg

This morning :D

post-12723-0-78200800-1302896251_thumb.jpg

post-12723-71513_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, downloaded now :) will have to wait to print it all though, I might email it to my Dad's laser printer :P

Western, I've saved the website for further reading, some good stuff. Like the 110FC as well...maybe my next project :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip. I shall be checking teh gaps and giving it a thorough service before we run it. It does run (sounds sweet!) but I want to clean the sump out etc for peace of mind. Plus there's a rather large oil leak when running so I need to find that as well (somewhere near the oil filter...

Very happy with it though, and looking forward to getting it on the road :)

Mike, the straight 6 sounds awesome, really awesome! For the mileage it will be doing each year I think it can stay. There are thoughts of an LPG conversion for the future, maybe, as I have been given some lpg kit already.

I need to find and fix the oil leak and sort the brakes, and then at least it can be moved around safely and cleanly. Next job will be to check teh cooling system.

I would really like to get rid of the wheels and tyres also, and get some original wheels for it. Anyone want some white 8 spokes in exchange...

The six pot is staying :P

Things are progressing... Water leak was just a hose and the flushing all looks good, clutch works after a bit of freeing, starts first click with a new battery, and so just the oil leak to find...at least then I can start and run it when I get frustrated/bored/at the end of my tether some spare time between painting/replacing bolts/making new parts/etc :)

i love the series 2b and would love to own one.

mike

Just a word of caution then, the red fire engine is not a 2b. It is a custom build on a 109" Series 3 chassis. Liams Fire Engine page says "Series 3 Forward Control Fire Engine commissioned by the Northern Ireland Fire Brigade and converted by F.I. Bates of Evesham between 1973 and 1978".

The white engine is a 110, as stated. This is what LR called their Forward Control model, until they corrected one set of design errors and thus called them FC2A and FC2B.

HTH

Well I have cracked on today and have taken a few photographs of things so far. Much easier to work on with the floors out of the way and we can't find teh oil leak now :unsure: It was from above the starter somewhere, but it's not leaking now. I'm going to drop the sump before refilling and checking for the leak again...I wonder if it had been overfilled maybe.

Good news is the chassis seems very solid and overall not in bad condition at all. So far the only bit of bodywork.frame/chassis for replacement is teh battery box floor which is plywood :)

Anyway, enough chat, some pics.

post-12723-0-34010200-1303060400_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-63174800-1303060431_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-97453500-1303060450_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-32117500-1303060464_thumb.jpg

Yes, it was an addition to help keep the carb cool but not sure how much difference it makes. I guess it must get pretty hot under the engine cover as there's not really any airflow (with the engine sat behind the front seats). I read these engines are prone to overheating because of this, and as it needs a new front panel I am considering making this myself and then fitting a much larger radiator/cowling up front. I want to keep it pretty original, but I also want it to be a trouble free driver. No point traillering it around everywhere, I want to drive it (of course) :D

All speculation at the moment, as I haven't run it long enough to find out if there is a problem.

The cooling system flushed through nice and clean, the radiator also, so...

A few more pics, seats and footwells outNeeds a new outrigger and bit of patching in teh footwell/bulkhead corners but the chassis

is solid.

post-12723-0-93850700-1303236547_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-29564200-1303236348_thumb.jpg

Seat bases are solid though

post-12723-0-51049300-1303236464_thumb.jpg

All in all not too bad for a 33 year old vehicle.

More of the floor out and the oil leak found, not so bad, just a fractured/corroded pipe (green arrow). Part number requested in teh relevant forum section. It's amazing how much you can get done in just a few hours with a bit of sunshine :) It's my first project and it's great to work on. Big, loads of space, easy to get around/in/under/ontop and because I don't need to take it to work in teh morning I can rip loads of it at a time and leave it in bits until I'm ready :P

The chassis and steel frame work will be getting coated with POR15 and so will axles etc later.

post-12723-0-85694600-1303329233_thumb.jpg

post-12723-0-41982400-1303329246_thumb.jpg