Shipping of spare parts from UK

popotla

Before leaving on our overland trip in Land Rover Td5 110, I wish to establish contact with UK spares suppliers who’d be able to ship out a spare part, should this be needed. Reliability obviously is key, also fair dealing.

Any recommendations, please?

Before leaving on our overland trip in Land Rover Td5 110, I wish to establish contact with UK spares suppliers who’d be able to ship out a spare part, should this be needed. Reliability obviously is key, also fair dealing.

Any recommendations, please?

I have good luck here in Canada with L.R. Series (http://www.lrseries.com/)

Good luck,

Bill

If you are moving you may be better off dealing with a recognised courier - DHL or Fedex, or other international coverage company, rather than with the supplier. Or at least checking which courier your supplier uses.

G.

If you are moving you may be better off dealing with a recognised courier

I agree - except I would find a friendly shipping agent rather than a courier. They will have an address in the UK where suppliers send their goods to. They are consolidated into a bigger shipment and sent together. X-Eng sends lots of stuff to agents - and I've used one for importing from the US, South Africa and Australia. They cost a fraction of what couriers do and are brilliant for finding the right customs classifications for goods to minimise duty.

An agent can save you hundreds of pounds! Also, it's easy to persuade companies to ship to their own country. I've even used it to buy on eBay in foreign lands where they specify no international shipping.

Si

Hi,

I'm only in france, so not far.

In my experience, the dealers/suppliers are all usually relatively straight up - so long as you check availability properly, just coz it's on the website don't mean that they have/can get it.

Where everything can go tits up is the courier. If you're in a major urban area you stand a reasonable chance with dhl/fedex etc etc., but away from a decent size town it's a 100% lottery, coz everything gets handed eventually to a self-employed guy in a van with a phone - try tracking that!

I'd say that you should ask locally which network seems to work, and try to get yr UK supplier to use that one - or sort it yrself via one of the broker services on the net...

EDIT: I THINK SIMON IS RIGHT BOUT AGENTS... but I dunno if that'd work for smaller/ one-off consignments

I've used these guys LR Centre a couple of times now to ship parts to Australia. The parts have ranged from $400 to $900. They've been good to deal with and have been on the ball so far.

The only issue I had was when a small valve wasn't in the order, and since a lot of packages are opened by customs here I assumed it had gone missing at that stage, they just sent another one in a jiffy back free of charge to me.

I usually email my order list in and check prices and shipping.

Regards couriers, I registered with this outfit a number of years ago, and have found them very good:

http://www.interparcel.com

They seem to operate like discount flight bucket shops, and buy blocks of available "package space". Each time I have used them they have used UPS as the courier, and they've always been significantly cheaper than the parts supplier's courier. Paddock use UPS as their regular courier, or one of them, and this outfit has always undercut them significantly. Also, registration is free, or it used to be :rolleyes:! Of course, as Giles said, when it comes to the final leg of delivery, it's always a local firm that does it, and that can be the problem! So far, I've been lucky, and deliveries here, in the middle of the Rockies, have been good. For example, a new front diff, ordered from Paddocks on a Monday morning, was delivered at lunchtime on Friday. Shipping, for 42 kg was GBP113.

I also agree with Simonr's comment regarding using an agent, but I think that that is only practical if you are not in a hurry for the parts. If the agent is going to consolidate your part into a major package, that can take time. If you were ordering parts from UK for a major rebuild over a period of months, a delay might be OK, but for fixing a breakdown while on a trip, you probably wouldn't want to wait for consolidation of a shipment.

Mike

Brit-car for sure and i'm sure they'd be happy to ship to you and set up some sort of agreement.

I intend on doing just that with brit-car even though i already have and account there.

I also second the interparcel recommendation.