Freespool for 8274

Ok so I'm in the market for an air operated freespool system

I only have the money to buy this item once, so the question is simple....

Which system is the best? Anybody with any good or bad points

I now stand back and wait for the usual abuse :hide

Don't know about the best as I've not tried them all...

The DeltaTek I fitted to the front was so good I got one for the rear winch too. I've been told that my freespool has less friction than the GP one by someone who has a GP one and tried mine. That may just be down to installation though as all the freespools reveal any issues with your winch mount as real bearings have less tolerance than the Warn plastic bushes. It's well worth spending the time to make sure the drum and end plate are properly aligned to get the best results.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the DeltaTek mine have both worked flawlessly since fitting.

I had the pleasure of running around in front of a GP83 today, and I was surprised how 'not free' the free-spool was. I'd not had any experience of competition winches before, only seen videos, but somehow I expected it to be a lot easier than it was :huh:

Maybe it's just all those videos making it look easy :lol:

I have 2 Gigglepin GP82/83 winches and have tried my brother's delta tek drum and when properly setup there is nothing to tell them apart in operation of the freespool.

As a total winch package the GP8x series of winches beat an upgraded 8274 in many areas

e.g the drum end plate is much stronger on the GP8x series and it has rear tie bars making it much easier to keep everything in alignment and thus better freespool (my brother has broken a warn end plate and they are expensive)

It also does not use the fiddly square nuts (which are imperial).

So if you already have an 8274 then probably a delta tek drum or gigglepin equivalent (which to me looks the same as the delta tek) but if you don't then a GP8x series is better than applying all the upgrades to an 8274

sometimes some posts look like they have been started by people with vested interests!!!!!!!

both units are sold by people who are more than happy to help customers with their questions.

I think it is like asking which is best Pepsi or Coke?

In operational terms there is nothing to call it between the three (if you include the Cheviot version as well).

All three Freespools on the market need the end plate to be properly aligned with the drum and winch to operate properly. I suspect differences in the freedom are simply down to the degree of alignment.

Like Coke & Pepsi - followers of each will swear by their choice and say the other one tastes of p*ss but actually they are more similar than they are different.

All that remains to make a choice is Reliability, Cost and Warranty.

In the early days, there were one or two issues with the Delta-tek drum - but the experience was used to improve the design. The warranty on them has been good enough to provide a free replacement, even to customers on the other side of the world where their drum has been affected by an issue. Happily, the initial teething problems turned out not to be serious and the current version is pretty damn good.

With any product, it's impossible to forsee all the ways in which it will be used and abused. The most important thing in my eyes though is that the manufacturer does not penalise anyone who finds a problem. That, I think is where Delta-Tek and another company close to my heart win over most others!

Si

well i was lucky enough to have one of the Delta-tek test units from Nick and its been Great 2nd year of use now and

like all have said make sure its fitted correctly and you will be more than happy.

they both make a god product and they both happy to talk about what you need

And the jury's verdict was?

I have had dealing with both company's that are the main suppliers of air freespool systems to most of the challenge competitors.

In fairness to both companies I have had dealing with both of them and they have replaced, repaired items that have failed without any quibble, and bearing in mind that the items were used in the heat of competition, that is very good of them.

However when I see that one company is about £250 more than the other one it always makes you wonder why? Is it the way it works, build quality, easy of use? By asking you guys I stand a chance of finding some of the answers.

So my answer will be that I will be going for the company that is cheaper, as it appears that they both work very well, are reliable and appear to have no major failings. :D

sometimes some posts look like they have been started by people with vested interests!!!!!!!

both units are sold by people who are more than happy to help customers with their questions.

I think it is like asking which is best Pepsi or Coke?

Lordy Rob!!!!! That would never happen on here would it? I cannot ever imagine anyone having more than one login name!!!! :ph34r: