Chassis Question

All,

The Defender I have recently bought has (what I have been told) a galvanised Discovery chassis fitted around 7 years ago along with a 200TDI engine. I can confirm its galvanised without much difficulty :D

However either due to the fact its galvanised or the fact I am new to all this I cannot find a VIN anywhere obvious. Any tips on where it should be or can anyone identify/comment from the pictures of the front of it?

post-31444-0-82695100-1306177635_thumb.jpg

post-31444-0-06183700-1306177678_thumb.jpg

Thanks

does it have a 100 inch wheelbase ? as a Discovery would.

if it's a galvanised genuine LR chassis the number should be between the right front spring mount & the steering box support arm on the vertical face of the chassis frame.

if it was a new build non genuine chassis, it might not have a number or it could have a unique DVLA issued chassis number or it might have if it was a like for like change retained the original Discovery chassis number [probably unlikely as it wasn't rebuilt as a Discovery

if it's a galvanised genuine LR chassis the number should be between the right front spring mount & the steering box support arm on the vertical face of the chassis frame.

Have had a crawl around with a torch in engine bay and around front right end and could not see anything obvious.

does it have a 100 inch wheelbase ? as a Discovery would.

What is the easiest way to check this? Have noticed I have no rear springs, just shocks at an angle.

Does anyone have a picture of a Disco chassis I could compare with or am I on wrong forum for that kind of response? ;)

hmmm,

having a closer gleg at them pictures, why do i get the horrible feeling this is a defender that had a rotten chassis and it was replaced by the previous owner by chopping up a used disco chassis and they painted it with shiny metallic paint to make it look like a 'new like for like' replacement chassis?

either way, vehicles identity is now very much in question. As a disco chassis would be classed as a disco on the V5. Plus a disco chassis wont fit under a defender without some butchery - and therefore be classed as a radically altered and need an IVA/Q plate

From the view of the bumper mounts, it appears to have discovery front bumper mounts, 2 horizontal holes, in the chassis with 2 pieces of tube welded vertically to the front face of the chassis to take a defender bumper.

It would appear to be a discovery chassis from the pictures you have given us.

Have noticed I have no rear springs, just shocks at an angle.

Did I read that right? :huh:

No rear springs at all? What's the weight of the vehicle on, the bumpstops?

I think some photos of the underside is called for, especially at the rear axle and crossmember area.

Did I read that right? :huh:

No rear springs at all? What's the weight of the vehicle on, the bumpstops?

I think some photos of the underside is called for, especially at the rear axle and crossmember area.

My thoughts too.

Can we ask where this was purchased from? I presume it was a private sale?

Giving me a sinking feeling here guys after being all excited with my new toy :(

Hopefully its just my rubbish observation and lack of mechanical knowledge in my descriptions that is the issue but I will crawl around and get more photos once home. It was a private sale but the previous owner bought it from a local 4x4 Garage in its current state, I understand they carried out all the work to get it in its current state around 7 years ago.

Well assuming it's the picture in your profile it looks to be sitting level so there is something holding the back end up. Are you looking for leaf springs when in fact if it is a Disco or defender chassis it will be coil sprung?

Easiest way to check the wheelbase is with a tape measure :P

If it's a 90, the centres of the wheels should be 92" apart, front-to-back. If it's a 110 they should be about 112". If it's a Disco they'll be 100" apart.

if a 110 it'll be 110 inches between hub centres NOT 112 :blink::rolleyes:

Will get my tape measure out as well then, I had realised I would have to measure something :D Just not sure from where to where

from the centre of the front hub or driveshaft end [remove the black plastic end cap] to the same location on the rear hub

[obviously on the same side of the vehicle] :rofl:

Ok here goes for a major update....

from the centre of the front hub or driveshaft end [remove the black plastic end cap] to the same location on the rear hub

[obviously on the same side of the vehicle] :rofl:

Wheel to wheel (on the same side of the vehicle :rofl: ) 92 Inches.

Some "better" photographs:

Front Left

post-31444-0-08806000-1306298815_thumb.jpg

Rear Left

post-31444-0-34941800-1306298881_thumb.jpg post-31444-0-90627600-1306298980_thumb.jpg

I may be making the wrong assumption here but if at has the wheelbase of a 90 and the chassis of a disco then they have had to lose 8 inches somewhere. Now the simplest and scariest way to do that is to cut it out of the side rails and weld them back together. Theoretically you could do it with a staggered and reinforced join .... or you could cut and shut then grind most of the weld off for cosmetic reasons leaving a dangerous vehicle.