OT: Pallet couriers

Not what you asked for but bear with me; I have successfully used

www.anyvan.co.uk

www.shiply.com

www.uship.com

To get quotes and have things shipped, what used to be called 'part loads' - i.e. transport firms going there or therabouts anyway. You describe your item, they then submit quotes and you select the one you think is best. There's an ebay stylee-feedback system. E.g. I got a Sankey delivered from Withams 'oop North to Bristol for less than the cost of the Diesel I would've used to get there and back.

Will dig out the name of the guy I used when I get home. Avoid a company trading as 'nene Valley' or a derivative of the above, as they are take-the-deposit-and-run merchants.

I've had a couple of thing shipped this way and found it a darn site easier than pallet-firms, who tend to throw hissy fits when the load deviates from a euro-pallet!

HTH

Matt

I may need to transport an awkward shaped, possibly fragile but not that heavy item across the country - pick up from Shropshire and deliver to Suffolk. Can anyone personally recommend a good, reasonably priced company please?

I have fairly regular pallet deliveries which are often subbed to hauliers. In my opinion it's down to luck and good packaging but assume the pallet will have something stacked on it, will be stabbed by tines and may fall off the lorry.