what transfer box will fit my 300tdi

Hello everyone

Back again with some more daft questions for the oracles!!

Got my 1987 110sw throught the god damned Northern Irish mot (first time shes ever had to do that) and she sailed through and is now out and about on the road where she belongs after three years in a field. A bit of welding, poking and hammering, New paint job, Volvo front seats and Renault Scenic middle row seats( all thanks to info from you guys in here so thank u very much).

Now, my next thing is this. There is a 1996 discovery fitted to the original lt77 gearbox and the transfer box is, I assume original too. Both seem to be in good order but it is very slow.(no more than 55mph). Does anyone know if i should fit a different transfer box, will it make a difference and if so which one would fit onto said gearbox without too much hassle?

once again i'm sure there is a topic in here somewhere with the answers i need but i cant find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sweeney 110

Now, my next thing is this. There is a 1996 discovery fitted to the original lt77 gearbox and the transfer box is, I assume original too. Both seem to be in good order but it is very slow.(no more than 55mph). Does anyone know if i should fit a different transfer box, will it make a difference and if so which one would fit onto said gearbox without too much hassle?

would also like to know as havs same problem

Now due to the fact that its a 1987 csw, it would originally either have had a 1.667 t/box with the 2.5 n/a deisel, or the v8 with a 1.003 t/box. now when you say 'wont go more than 55mph, a) is the engine screeming, if so its a 1.667 box you have, b) its very sluggish and just wont pull over 55mph, then its prob a 1.003. ( i dont think the TD were around yet, as they had the 1.410 t/box, or very close) either way a 1.410 std or 1.22 disco will work, but as said, not so good for towing.

ok

When i first came across the landy there was a 2.5 litre petrol engine in it. Dont know if it was the original. It had been a military vehicle at the beginning of its career. Possibly swansea we think. Anyways, What you guys are saying is a 200tdi transfer box would fit? I'm not bothered about the towing because it wont be used for that sort of work but it will be on manys a long journey (Norway and back. The Missus hails from there) with dogs in the back and stuff on the roofrack.

At the minute it wont go over 55mph and the engine is screaming a bit and the turbo is whistling more than i'm assuming it should be.

Thanks lads for the info so far. Dont know what i'd do without youall.

Sweeney110

ok

When i first came across the landy there was a 2.5 litre petrol engine in it. Dont know if it was the original. It had been a military vehicle at the beginning of its career. Possibly swansea we think. Anyways, What you guys are saying is a 200tdi transfer box would fit? I'm not bothered about the towing because it wont be used for that sort of work but it will be on manys a long journey (Norway and back. The Missus hails from there) with dogs in the back and stuff on the roofrack.

At the minute it wont go over 55mph and the engine is screaming a bit and the turbo is whistling more than i'm assuming it should be.

Thanks lads for the info so far. Dont know what i'd do without youall.

Sweeney110

2.5 pet would be a 1.44:1 - with a 300Tdi that should pull 65/70 happily. What size tyres are you running?

With an LT-77 in 5th through a 1.667 t/c and 3.54 diffs your donkey is doing a tad over 3000 rpm at 55 mph. If you drop in a 1.410 gear set (you don't have change the whole t/c) you'll drop the revs by about 400 rpm and a 1.22 gear set will drop about 600 rpm. The gearset can be changed with the transfer case still on the vehicle.

Ray.

With an LT-77 in 5th through a 1.667 t/c and 3.54 diffs your donkey is doing a tad over 3000 rpm at 55 mph. If you drop in a 1.410 gear set (you don't have change the whole t/c) you'll drop the revs by about 400 rpm and a 1.22 gear set will drop about 600 rpm. The gearset can be changed with the transfer case still on the vehicle.

Ray.

hi ray where can i get the gear set from cause if it can be done in situ that would be great or will i still have to take the t/b out but use the same casing

Ashcroft Transmissions have them.

Ashcroft

You can leave the t/c connected to the g/b and chassis. You drop the bottom cover for access to the intermediate gears, take the hi/lo selector housing off the top to allow removal of the entire front housing complete with diff and hi/lo gears. It's a mission, I'm sure there's a post in the tech archive covering it.

I've always just dropped the whole t/c and done it on the bench... Then you can give it a full bearing and seal kit which are cheap enough.

Have fun!

Ray.

Ashcroft

You can leave the t/c connected to the g/b and chassis. You drop the bottom cover for access to the intermediate gears, take the hi/lo selector housing off the top to allow removal of the entire front housing complete with diff and hi/lo gears. It's a mission, I'm sure there's a post in the tech archive covering it.

I've always just dropped the whole t/c and done it on the bench... Then you can give it a full bearing and seal kit which are cheap enough.

Have fun!

Ray.

Cheers for that ray I think I'll just drop it out I think that will be common sense way then I can do a proper job of it

Ashcroft

Have fun!

Ray.

Cheers for that ray I think I'll just drop it out I think that will be common sense way then I can do a proper job of it

standard transfer box for most 110 was the 1.41 fitted to TD & 200Tdi vehicles, that would be the best one to find. Discovery uses a 1.22 tb Iit'll work but might not be so good when towing a heavy load.

Hi western

I've found a guy willing to sell me the transfer box from his 22year old discovery. Its a 200tdi.says the rustworms finally got it so hes breaking it for parts. Would that do the job do you think? I've had her on a run this weekend for 150miles with the current transfer box and she is dead on the hills. wont go over 50-55mph and down to a crawl when climbing a hill. About 25mph and having to drop down to 3rd or even 2nd so its no good for what i need it for. I dont need to pull trailers or anything. Just a well loaded landy with dogs and a roofrack and i dont understand all this 1.44 ratio stuff. Can you let me know what you think

thanks for the help so far

Connor

The Disco transfer box will up the top speed but make it worse on hills (using the same gear as the current t/box).

The fact that she is dying to 25mph on the hills sounds to me like you have engine issues, hard to tell without being there though.

Personally I would check the inlet manifold and associated turbo piping for leaks and the turbo rubber pipes for delamination internally. I have a 300 tdi in mine with a 1.44 t/box and I can't think of a hill around here that in the right gear you can't get over 30mph up it .... and Caterham has some steep hills.

The Disco transfer box will up the top speed but make it worse on hills (using the same gear as the current t/box).

The fact that she is dying to 25mph on the hills sounds to me like you have engine issues, hard to tell without being there though.

Personally I would check the inlet manifold and associated turbo piping for leaks and the turbo rubber pipes for delamination internally. I have a 300 tdi in mine with a 1.44 t/box and I can't think of a hill around here that in the right gear you can't get over 30mph up it .... and Caterham has some steep hills.

Ok

Thanks for that. I will have a good poke around today and reort back. Would be great to find something simple.

went under the bonnet a while ago to discover that the turbo pipes were quite loose. Took thenm out checked them for holes , of which there were none. Pushed the whole lot tighter together which straightrened the pipes out a bit and tightened the whole lot up. Then took it for a run out to the closest big hill. Pulled up it at 35mph no problem and seems to be a good bit quieter. Once again thank u guys. I'm learning every day. Just to get this transfer box sorted now and everything will hopefully be hunky dory.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello again everybody

Just took the old transfer box out and replaced it with the 1.22 from a disco. Cant wait to get a go in it tomorrow.

Took the old transfer box out to discover it is a 1.667 ratio. Does anyone need one of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Connor

Hi western

I've found a guy willing to sell me the transfer box from his 22year old discovery. Its a 200tdi.says the rustworms finally got it so hes breaking it for parts. Would that do the job do you think? I've had her on a run this weekend for 150miles with the current transfer box and she is dead on the hills. wont go over 50-55mph and down to a crawl when climbing a hill. About 25mph and having to drop down to 3rd or even 2nd so its no good for what i need it for. I dont need to pull trailers or anything. Just a well loaded landy with dogs and a roofrack and i dont understand all this 1.44 ratio stuff. Can you let me know what you think

thanks for the help so far

Connor

Disco LT230 are nearly all 1.22 ration. you'd probably be best off staying with a Defender 1.41 box.