New suspension...too tall for the garage

I installed a few months ago BA 3750 Def 90 Plus 2" lift kit, contains 4 plus 2" springs and 4 plus 2"Procomp 9000Series shock absorbers.

Unfortunately I was stupid enough not to consider the limited height in the underground garage of my house… I was lucky enough to realize before I touched the sprinklers of the fire fighting installation on the basement garage.

I need to go back to standard height. Do you think I need to change only the springs or the shocks which are +2 will not work with standard height?

Any recommendation of standard height springs?

Any advise is more than welcome.

Thanks

Question is do you just want to do this to get it out of the garage?

Let the air out of the tyres. :rolleyes:

Or do you want it to revert back to standard height to be able to keep

using the garage?

Fit the old bits/ new standard springs back on.

Question is do you just want to do this to get it out of the garage?

Let the air out of the tyres. :rolleyes:

Or do you want it to revert back to standard height to be able to keep

using the garage?

Fit the old bits/ new standard springs back on.

Ι said I did a stupid thing, not that I am 100% stupid. The installation was out of the garage and I just need to use the garage again. Of course I cannot empty and refill the tires on a daily basis. I do not want to fit the old bits since the springs are 22 years old (as the car Def 90 1989 V8) and the old shocks are only 18 years old (Kayaba orange)

Is fitting smaller tyres an option? Then only put the big ones on when you need them i.e. playdays

I ran very soft/worn out standard springs with +2 shocks for ages and never had a problem.

Now I'm running +2 springs and +5 shocks on lowered mounts and everything is still fine, just need need to make sure that the axles hit your bumpstops before the shock can bottom out.

Harry

Personally I'd sell the kit as a whole (springs and shocks) then buy genuined standard springs and some good standard length gas shocks like Monroe or similar.

Buying the springs from LR and they will be able to tell you what it should have as standard -piece of cake then :)

Is fitting smaller tyres an option? Then only put the big ones on when you need them i.e. playdays

I ran very soft/worn out standard springs with +2 shocks for ages and never had a problem.

Now I'm running +2 springs and +5 shocks on lowered mounts and everything is still fine, just need need to make sure that the axles hit your bumpstops before the shock can bottom out.

Harry

I have simple 7.50x16 tires. I wouldn't like to fit smaller.

Personally I'd sell the kit as a whole (springs and shocks) then buy genuined standard springs and some good standard length gas shocks like Monroe or similar.

Buying the springs from LR and they will be able to tell you what it should have as standard -piece of cake then :)

Do you think Bearmach is good enough or only genuine LR?

Do you think Bearmach is good enough or only genuine LR?

Bearmach are probably perfectly fine, but genuine ones which you know to have lasted 22 years are not expensive either, around £20-30 a corner. Though having said that, I beleive it's more important to spend out on decent gas shocks than springs....

agree with Bowie,

i've just replaced the springs on my 90 that gave a 2" lift and put standard springs back on. I then fitted some decent shocks and the ride quality is like night and day. No more steering wander (i didnt think it was that bad before, but now i realise how bad it was!), lovely ride comfort, great damping and handling too. And so far i havent noticed a jot of difference to clearance off road.

Unless i go silly on tyre size, i will never go back to a lifted suspension setup again.

you could go back to standard height springs (or maybe 1", if your garage can cope with it). You can still use your +2" shocks if you raise the mounting points. There is enough travel in the springs to do this, so the gain will only be on droop travel.

Daan

FWIW on our ccv trialler we are using plus 2 inch procomps on very soft standard height springs and standard shock mounts. We often hit the bump stops on the back and havent buggered the shocks yet....

agree with Bowie,

i've just replaced the springs on my 90 that gave a 2" lift and put standard springs back on. I then fitted some decent shocks and the ride quality is like night and day. No more steering wander (i didnt think it was that bad before, but now i realise how bad it was!), lovely ride comfort, great damping and handling too. And so far i havent noticed a jot of difference to clearance off road.

Unless i go silly on tyre size, i will never go back to a lifted suspension setup again.

What Nick and Bowie said, I've gone back to std springs and workmanlike Armstrong shocks. Job done :)

Mo

You should easily fit 750s on with standard suspension. Just do as others have said and fit new standard spec springs and standard length shocks. Genuine springs will last you for many years to come.

you can fit +2" shocks without damaging them whilst still using standard height springs, standard height bumpstops and standard shock mounts. With the axle on the bumpstops there is still a little bit of uptravel left in my shocks, so they arent bottoming out. And obviously it gives me a bit more droop - which the whole point really.

obviously i cant speak for every brand of shock etc - but i can definitely say that the delphi +2" shocks on mine dont bottom out...

You will need extended brake lines though and some dislocation cones if you are going to use the +2" shocks with standard springs. I ran this for a while on my 90 but got rather annoyed with popping springs back in after axle twisting sections!

H

• 1 month later...