Our family trip to the Pyrenees

Great report Jason, some familiar sights in the pics. - the chapel on the hilltop, medieval tent/shelter, high viewpoint... :) Looking at the pictures, all the vegetation was rather more lush when we did the same route in May. Glad you had a good time. :) Did you off-road into Andorra?

Chris

Great report Jason, some familiar sights in the pics. - the chapel on the hilltop, medieval tent/shelter, high viewpoint... :) Looking at the pictures, all the vegetation was rather more lush when we did the same route in May. Glad you had a good time. :) Did you off-road into Andorra?

Chris

Cheers, Chris,

When I did that route before it was late may/early June and I couldn't believe how different it was a lot of the routes were a lot harder than before with more dust and they seemed more rutted after what I believe had been a very wet spring. We took the main road into Andorra but did some routes on the first day we were there and went on the route out of Andorra on the route marked on the map you lent me.

Thanks, Jason.

Respect. To change a set of wheel bearings on the roadside in a pair of white shorts. :lol: very impressive. Nice write up too. You don't however mention whether the better half actually enjoyed it!! :ph34r:

Cheers,

Although the shorts were beige not white although more of an oil patchwork by the time I had finished!! I am happy to report that Mrs S had a great time and is already looking forward to our next trip and wants to help plan it!!

Jason.

great, would love to do that. the trailers a god send on a trip like that eh?

Thanks,

I would have to say the trailer made things a lot easier with the family and did it's job, I am going to give a full write up on the way the trailer held up in my build thread and what worked well.

Jason.

Tis a wonderfull area, and is full of tracks. There is a lot of info on the net,

including a place that does rather good roadbooks. No point paying to be 'guided'

round, just go on your own or a couple of friends. We were 4 adults and 5 children.

Brilliant trip report Jason, and rather inspiring, I think I'm going to have to do some reaserch into 4x4 routes around the Pyrenees! Thanks :D

Cheers Mav,

There are loads of routes available from roadbooks/maps and as Chris (GBMUD) recommended, Google earth is an excellent tool, I have done versions of this trip four times now and it has changed every time it really surprised me how the landscape had changed with the weather. I have always gone alone/in a small group and have never done a guided tour type trip as I prefer to do things in my own time, after all I am on Holiday!! We were hoping to do more to the west this time however never quiet got there, but again that is the fun of this type of trip, no rushing to get somewhere.

As I say I met some great guys from Catalonia who have shared with me some great routes from around their home and filled in the east side for me, I am happy to share this and the other info I have with you just not in open forum so if you want any information just send me a PM.

Jason.

Great stuff Jason :)

Thanks for the report, we were wondering how you got on!

Jason

Well thanks again Jason for the use of your lawn and a great start to a great trip.

Cheers, Jason.

Thanks to Jason for posting your story on here.

I've been slowly planting the seed of a trip like this in my Wife's mind, and your write-up has helped enormously. :)

Ideally, I would like to sail down to Bilbao then drive via the mountains to the east coast to visit my parents just north of Barcelona.

Do you have any tips on how to choose legal off tarmac routes? Also, you seem to have made very good progress through France. Did you have any "in-car entertainments" for your 4 year old?

Thanks again,

Giles

Thanks to Jason for posting your story on here.

I've been slowly planting the seed of a trip like this in my Wife's mind, and your write-up has helped enormously. :)

Ideally, I would like to sail down to Bilbao then drive via the mountains to the east coast to visit my parents just north of Barcelona.

Do you have any tips on how to choose legal off tarmac routes? Also, you seem to have made very good progress through France. Did you have any "in-car entertainments" for your 4 year old?

Thanks again,

Giles

Hi Giles,

Thanks, it took me six years plus to convince the wife to come with me, I looked at the long ferry down to Bilbao but with a tall vehicle and trailer the return cost was almost £1k and is not half the adventure getting there!! or back in our case!! We decided to use the toll roads and although it added cost allowed us to cover some ground.

We do have a in car DVD thing but didn't take it with us as the kids say it makes them feel sick, we had an early start so Jacob slept some of the time then he spent time asking questions, looking at signs and trying to spot what was on them etc.

We were concious about the kids spending too much time in the landy, hence staying an additional night at Jason's place but for the rest of the journey just asked the kids what they wanted to do, I found even at four if you involve them in the journey/decisions they have more tolerance for it, we also made sure we took plenty of breaks during the day, 1hr for lunch etc and had lots of cold water to keep them refreshed. Swimming at the end of most days helped as it seemed to wear them out!!

The route I took is a fairly common one, for which I have a road book, I was kindly lent some maps and guide books which were also a help, I also brought some good local maps of the area and also found on route some local guide books which listed local trails etc there seemed a lot more outdoor shops/enterprising garage owners that were selling route books.

I also meet people during the trip who shared routes, I have some great ones around Catalonia which I hope to cover next year but will need to do some more research into them before we go.

Jason.

I Have been asked PM's by a few people now what sort of costs were involved, I have all of the receipts so just need to put them down in one place once I have will post the costs on here.

Jason.

So here are the costs:

• We went in high season
  • I used a exchange rate of 1.3 euros which I know is on the low side.
  • Averaged about 22mpg (better on the way down not so good when doing 130kph)
  • Stayed mostly iin camp sites when could have 'rough camped'

Still an overseas family holiday for £580.00 per adult and £290.00 per child is not bad going.

Jason.

post-15513-0-07685100-1314732042_thumb.jpg

Brilliant write up - I went with Chris & co. in May and really enjoyed the trip. Great scenery, interesting tracks without being too challenging and it feels so remote, we only saw a few other people in the 10 days we were there. I have a feeling we passed that Range Rover going the other way at one point with a very lifted Discovery?

Rich

To help anyone trying to ascertain costs, I did a similar trip in May, in my Tdi 90. I spent £600 on diesel, £120 on tolls, £50 on the channel tunnel and £200 on food, campsites, beer, coffees and entertainment.

That's leaving home to getting back, roughly half campsite and half wild camping and doing pretty much the entire Pyrenees end to end without kids :)

It's a fantastic holiday, you'll hardly see anyone else and if you haven't done it before, you'll soon learn to respect the privacy of those wandering away from the campsite clutching a shovel and a roll of loo paper ;)

HTH

Mo