Stowage for a spare alternator

I have just come back from a 3 week trip where the only problem on my 300TDi was an alternator failure. So I want to take a spare one next time, but have little space. Is there any reason not to stow the spare one under the bonnet, possibly on a little fabricated bracket bolted to the engine where the aircon unit would go if I had one ?

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

But what are the chances of the new alternator failing? It will be something else next time.

It's possible to get paranoid about things failing and keep adding to to the spares list, it will still always be the one thing you're not carrying that breaks.

I wouldn't bother.

I wouldn't bother either, there are certain spares you should take with you but you need to stop somewhere, if you are that worried fit the new one before you go!! if you have fitted a good one and have a spare stick it in a box, and leave it with a friend. If something happens you can get it sent to you within 24 hours!!

Jason.

Presumably a brush pack & regulator, Lucas ones cost about £15 from what I've heard, furneaux riddall & Wood Auto (I think) sell them as should most Lucas distributors. Maybe bearings if you're feeling adventurous.

To be honest though, alternators are quite a universal machine - there's only a few manufacturers and aside from the main variations (RH/LH & V-belt or poly-v) if you're proper stuck you're never a million miles from something that can be bodged to fit or robbed for bits.

with a 300tdi , you dont need electrics to run , other than the diesel stop solenoid which you can feed direct with a couple of torch batteries and bit of wire !

I would think bolting a spare alt to the aircon mount is an excellent idea though.

Re spares I work on principle of what can be utilised at the side of the road by myself, or other things that might be difficult to obtain but not require a major rebuild, involving other components that I am not carrying.

Just make sure you start with a good recent alternator and you should be fine.

If you've been wading in muck or hooning around in dust and sand the brushes can wear down quicker - a pack of spare brushes takes no space and you can change them in an hour.

I had one pack up with worn down brushes once on a trip a few years back and was able to use ones from a different type of alternator with a bit of trimming, in fact I think they're still on it!

• 2 weeks later...

I ran one for a while. Simple bracket mounted on the aircon fixings and a small 65amp aux alternator (from a Subaru justy!!) stuck on there. All the wiring needed kept in reserve with a short multi V belt to run it from the top pulley if needed (think it was a freelander belt of some sort). Worked fine when tested but ended up replacing the main alternator with a bigger one and did away with it as an unnecessary luxury.