What would you do?

BIG DAN T

Ok. Several years ago my 90 was stolen(nothing unusual there!). I used it fof getting about and general off roading i.e green lanes and P+P sites. Since then kids came along and so did a nice SOLID 300 Disco that is too nice for all but the most gentle forays.

But I always wanted another off roader and built many vapour builds in my head while keeping my eye out for bargins to use in the costruction of said motors.

So I have the following to use:

A very battered but mechanicly sound 200 Disco

A Series 3 with 2.8 Isuzu in it and a Galv chassis

A set of Volvo C303 portal axles

A set of Gigglepin trailing arms

A hydro assist system

A Superwinch Husky

What I don't have:

A lot of money

A trailer licence

A big workshop

I can weld and fabricate to a fairly high standard (ex plant fitter). I would like a motor for just fun and would like to visit various off road sites .The trailer licence thing probably doesn't matter as at some point I intend getting one and it means not worying abut IVA.

What are you wanting to use the end result for? Challenges? Drive around days? Laning? How many seats do you need?

Look at what you want and work backwards from there. It sounds like it needs to be road legal, without the need for an SVA test so the 200tdi disco may be a good place to start at 100 inch wheelbase with your winch, hydro assist and arms installed on it, then with something like a gwyn lewis kit, would be rather capable!

C303 axles are still fetching good money and are not everyone cup of tea for UK sites/events, so if sold would fund the rest of the build....... just a thought!

Good luck, don't let it rust in peace!

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately I in my poor attempt at typing (one finger only so I try to keep it short) didn't put accross just how battered the 200 Disco is, there is no way on earth of it getting another mot save for a complete re body.

This will be a pure plaything and used to test my own limits. I have no interest in competing but am tempted to enter the BADLRC clubman challenge series as it is for single vehicles and will allow me access to several off road sites throughout the country. It will also be used at the P+P sites that allow non road legal vehicles. It seems to me that what I could save on not paying tax,insurance and MOT will go towards a triler test.Brilliant suggestions keep them coming please!

I agree with Mike.

If you bolt all the bits to your Disco - you'll end up with something very similar to what most other people off road - and where's the fun in re-inventing the wheel?

You have enough bits there to build something very cool & unusual. If you enjoy the fabrication side of things, the build is a part of the journey.

Si

It looks like I will probably put the portals under the series as I would like something a little different. The only thing that realy concerns me is that the wheelbase may be a little short and fore and aft stabilty may not be great.Of course if this is the case it will still gain in other areas and so while I may not be able to drive up or down some things other people can I will defianately be able to drive over things that they can't!

It looks like I will probably put the portals under the series as I would like something a little different. The only thing that realy concerns me is that the wheelbase may be a little short and fore and aft stabilty may not be great.Of course if this is the case it will still gain in other areas and so while I may not be able to drive up or down some things other people can I will defianately be able to drive over things that they can't!

If you link the Volvo axles it's fairly easy to get 96'' wheelbase and still keep 36'' or taller tyres within the SWB chassis extremities.And you can still convert to coils without welding to and disturbing the galvanised chassis.Forward planning could see you prefabricating all the coil spring bracketry in your garden tool shed and then fitting everything to the truck out on the street in front of your house. I did exactly that once when I didn't have a workshop.

Bill.

If you link the Volvo axles it's fairly easy to get 96'' wheelbase and still keep 36'' or taller tyres within the SWB chassis extremities.And you can still convert to coils without welding to and disturbing the galvanised chassis.Forward planning could see you prefabricating all the coil spring bracketry in your garden tool shed and then fitting everything to the truck out on the street in front of your house. I did exactly that once when I didn't have a workshop.

Bill.

as in all bolt ons? you would still need crush tubes welded and zink 182 after? :i-m_so_happy: