too much movement on V8 for exhaust

mad_pete

I swapped a 3.5 with a tubular manifold to a 4.2 with the range rover headers and Y piece. This was mated to the original back section but now there isn't enough movement in exhaust and the engine keeps breaking the header to Y piece connection open. My current fairly new engine mounts have already turned to mush so those need replacing. Should I look at the QT engine mounts for less movement (I don't want to be shaken to bits though) or look at redo ing the exhaust for a design that moves about more ? It's a 90. THanks

I gave up on both S1 and RRC challenge chassis. Both now have stainless flexible on them. The S1 has it from the manifold down behind the wing. The RRC has a solid exhaust clamped at the transfer box mount and is stainless flexi from there to the silencer group.

If you smack the exhaust the problem is localised and isolated as well.

I bought some new mounts when I did my last engine conversion- standard round mounts.

When I was road testing, I kept getting a hard judder through the steering whenever I braked, like ABS - only I haven't got ABS.

After lots of head scratching, it turned out the engine was diving forward on braking, and the alternator fan was chopping in to the steering box - I bought another set of standard mounts, Britpart I think, and they were much much firmer compared to the others, problem disapeared and been fine since.

I do have a flex section in now but it doesn't seem to have helped. The defender the engine came out of was using QT mounts but research suggests they can be a little firm. If people run then without problem I'm happy to go with that as my current mounts are falling apart already anyway. Maybe I have got a slack batch pair and need a bigger flex section although maybe the flex is struggling to deal with the twist.

Standard motors don't do it with standard mounts so you need to look at what's different. The exhaust should have a mount to the transfer box, this holds it all straight relative to the engine, so perhaps the problem is that you're holding it too rigidly beyond that point. Failing that, add a flexi after that point.

That would be the difference the range rover Y piece is central where as the land rover one is more to the left to pick up the transfer box mount er mount. I am not picking that up. I do have a flex piece in but I think it is struggling to help as it's the twist that is breaking the manifold connection not forward or back. Originally I went with the range rover Y piece for the lambda sensors but now I'm squirted I have less to worry about.

I#m not sure a flexi can deal with twisting vibrations either, they are deisgned to not twist.

I used to keep blowing the same gaskets on the LSE, I assumed it was the cats blocked becasue they always went when I towed something. I ended up with a sports stainless system, which cracked on number 8 last year.

• 2 weeks later...