Fuel sender - 200tdi Conversion..

jerboa

Super quick question. I'm shortly going to be embarking on a 200tdi conversion into my '81 Series Three 109" station petrol wagon. I've done all the research and I'm planning it out exactly to the last nut+bolt before I start.

I have one question remaining - all of the forums/research resources I have looked up/on in order to solve this question has as-yet failed to provide an answer.

The vehicle is currently petrol (also LPG), so the fuel system has one delivery pipe.

TDi's have/need a return pipe.

My question is this. Can I fit a diesel sender to the tank in order to facilitate the installation of a return pipe? Or do I have to make a hole in the tank to fit the return? The other option is to put a T-piece in the fuel vent pipey-thing - but will that leak diesel out the top?

I quite fancy the latter solution..

My intention is to remove the tank and repaint/refit etc prior to undertaking the work.

Thanks guys,

you can just return the fuel pipe back into thefilter housing. however my fuel tank had a blanked off hole which i used to make a return pipe using copper brake line and connectors and the blanking plate to make a diesel/air tight return back to the tank. either way will work.

I'd not recommend the filter route - the diesel coming back from the pump can have some air in it - and routing this diesel back to the tank is the way the system purges the air.

When I did my 1981 109 I ran a return pipe to the tank and plumbed it into the air pipe that balances the two upper chambers of the fuel tank. I have had no problems with this approach so far (1,500 miles). I used a "tee" piece robbed from a Gunson vacuum gauge set. It was really easy - and I didn't have to drop the tank to do it as I was able to do it through the inspecion panels in the floor of the loadbed!

Hope this helps.

I have seen people run it back to the filter - and they had problems..

One of the things I was wondering about was if the diesel sender incorporated a fuel return, but if as Jon says - there's a separate return, then I just need one of them. Cant imagine it'll be easy to find one though!!

Maybe I'll do as Gazzar says..

I ran with the return teed before the lift pump. People said there will be air

in the returned diesel, where does air come from? I ran it for two years and not a

problem, keeps the chip oil nice n warm, infact you might find some filters don't liek the

heat. My reason for doing it , apart from it was quick, was with military tanks you need taps

to direct the return. Only problem I found was if you don't clamp off the return bleeding takes

forever.

I put the returns in to the tank after a few years, mainly to see if it would be any different.

I didn't have any alternatives to drilling into the tank, so I drilled a hole and bolted an old

fuel banjo into the top of the tank with a banjo bolt. The banjo worked perfectly on one side

but the other side leaked, so I made a couple of brass filttings to bolt to the

tanks. I put the return into the vent on someones 2A it worked perfectly.

Super quick question. I'm shortly going to be embarking on a 200tdi conversion into my '81 Series Three 109" station petrol wagon. I've done all the research and I'm planning it out exactly to the last nut+bolt before I start.

I have one question remaining - all of the forums/research resources I have looked up/on in order to solve this question has as-yet failed to provide an answer.

I think this will answer wrt part numbers, note that the return elbow is a different number to the pick-up elbow.

PA Blanchards quote a (reasonable) price for 500818, but that doesn't mean they stock it.

post-118-0-87987800-1320829288_thumb.gif

Oh, and while searching for the part number I found this thread :-)

HTH

I think the return pipe is shorter than the suction. I made my own stainless return fitting as I couldn't source one. I made it only 2" long, and this means that when the fuel level starts dropping, it ensures the bio and diesel get mixed....or at least it does in the winter when I actually use Diesel, in the summer I run 100% Bio.

Sorry for the slight sideline for this question but I've always wondered why diesels need a return pipe. I assume it's something to do with a petrol carb only pulling the required amount of fuel so there is nothing to return. If this is so then why does a diesel injector pump pull excess fuel? I'm sure there's a simple answer that more knowledgable souls know but prior to my current experiences with land rovers I'd only ever worked on petrol engines so it's still a mystery to me.

The injection pump and injectors need to be lubricated and cooled by the fuel, so need high flow rates from the lift pump. A Tdi on over-run (such as on a long hill descent) returns a huge amount of fuel to the tank - I'd guess as much as few pints every minute.

I have tried the loop system, adding a T-piece just before the lift pump, so that the spill fuel would feed straight back into the lift pump, reducing strain on the pump and minimising the chance of sucking air in through a pinhole leak anywhere between the tank and lift pump (both because the pump will not have to such so hard on fuel all the way from the tank), but mainly to simplify the return system and keep the fuel hot when running on vegoil. It works well enough, but it does make bleeding the injection system difficult after replacing the filter or working on any part of the system, needing multiple bleeds until clear and fastidious scrutiny over the system being utterly air tight.