Get the alternator started

When starting my 300TDi from cold, I find I need to 'blip' the throttle to get the revs above about 1250 rpm briefly before the charge warning light goes out. Once the light has gone out it stays out when the engine drops to idle.

Once it's warm there isn't a problem. Idle speed when cold is about 650rpm and increases to about 850 when the engine has warmed up.

The S belt is less than 2000 miles old and the tensioner is working correctly. There are no squeaking or squealing noises.

Is this an indication of imminent failure of the alternator or is it a belt related problem after all?

Nick.

This isn't a problem!

Mine does exactly the same. It's just a case of needing to get sufficient current from the alternator to make it self excite. I suspect when all is warm, resistances may be slightly lower (friction and electrical), plus the fact the battery will be better charged.

Cheers

Peter

The charging light is in the circuit of the field coil and provides current to start the excitation process off. I suspect when all is cold and the battery has been discharged to start the car, the rpm required to generate enough current to self excite is more than when everything is warm/hot. I imagine that they do leave the factory like that!

Cheers

Peter

Don't know if whole vehicles leave the factory like that, but it's not a fault as such.

It indicates the current through the warning light circuit is insufficient to kick the regulator (and hence the alternator) into operation. When you blip the throttle, you force the alternator into self-excitation (fnarr).

You could try a higher wattage bulb in the warning light (if they exist in that size) or a resistor (or another bulb) in parallel with the warning light.

On the other hand, mines been like that for 140k (was a new crate TGV) and I've yet to get around to it :blush:

Don't do as i have done.

Have a flat battery and jump start the landrover, leave it running for 10 minutes at idle while you pack away the jump leads and then wander out of the car park and housing estate at idle.

Get to the main road and stall, discover that you have put zero charge into the battery and walk back to get the jumps leads and other car to start it again.