235/85 machos or 235/70 synchrones on disco auto for winter

muddy

Evening folks, just got a 300 auto disco for the mrs and it has some 235/70 synchrones on it, i have a set of 235/85 machos and was going to put these on for winter snow odd muddy track etc however i then got thinking that the synchrones might actually be better in snow?

How did people get on with macho type patterns last year?

Gearing, rubbing, cost etc is not an issue its purley for grip. 99% of it will be on hopefully mainish roads although we live in an ungritted houseing estate, work has a steep hill thats also ungritted and she may well have to come pull me out after i've done something daft.

Will.

Hi, i had macho 265/75 16 on my 110 last winter.

The winter before i had BFG A/T 235/85 16.

I was very surprised, but the macho s performed much better despite having slightlyless tread depth.

My theory was the tread blocks have large gaps between them.

Therefore less surface area = more pressure.

Hope this helps.

That's interesting, your experience seems to fly in the face of the accepted wisdom that a narrower tread is better for snow. My RRC has the original spec 205's & did well in last year's weather, although to be fair the car is not a daily driver.

Its a long time since I drove on snow but I believe that the correct method is the looser the surface the lower the tyre pressure, on snow the maximum pressure should be around 20 PSI and re-pressure once you are on a solid surface.

To be honest, the macho s were faultless last winter. I live in the pennines where there are steep hills every way in and out of the village. No dramas at all, even pulled an RAC transit up a steep hill effortlessly. Gearbox was another story though .....

Vulcan they cant be anywhere as bad as the 'dirt devils' i've got on my 90, steering is now an advisary function :ph34r:

Not quite sure how the sudden braking will go in slush/snow as it has ABS, do I make a HD bumper for it now or is that going to increase the 3rd partys impact costs :wacko:

Had a puncture on 1 of the macho s last Monday 28th nov. M6 bolt through centre of tyre with head on outside. By the time I

Finished work all tyre fitters were shut, so I had a cunning plan....

Broke bead with a spade n 2 screwdrivers then tapped bolt out a bit, put ptfe round threads on outside then screwed it home. Then put ptfe on bolt on inside of tyre added a washer and a nut and tightened. Not gone down since!

So my second cunning plan is, as these Tyres will be retired soon , I am gonna create my own studded Tyres on a budget!

Thanks mike, just sold my bf muds this morning ;)

Looks like i'll be slapping the macho's on and see how we go.

you could look at siping the tyres, that would make them much more effective on the usual hardpacked snow we end up with after the thousands of summer tyres have rolled it flat in the first hour

Ahhh my old Machos :) - so poor on wet tarmac that they seemed very good on snow ;)

I drove my RRC to Scotland through last year's snow on half-worn 235/85 Machos and they really were very good. I was particularly impressed on the last (rural) stretch of my journey when I turned up a B road and could see from the tracks that there had been several failed attempts at the hill (at least one of which was on MT type tyres) and I just drove up it with no fuss or drama.

Later on that trip I visited the setting-out of a driving day organised by the Tay 4x4 club ( http://www.tay4x4club.gdnetwork.co.uk/ ) and got to drive around on virgin snow that was a foot deep in places and had no problems...

They seem very good on snow (fresh or hard-packed) but on glass-ice they were poor (as I suspect anything would be that hasn't got studs). On another occasion right outside my house, I sat in the driving seat as a passenger on a very gentle slope on glass-ice while the car just slid away at a walking pace until it hit the kerb...

You'll need a +2" lift and a trim of the back arches to fit 235/85s, you may know that already but its worth a mention.

Snow grip depends entirely on the snow. On compacted snow I'd sooner drive my Mini than the 110 on BFG Muds with a LSD rear axle. On fresh snow MTs are brilliant. The most sure footed car I've driven on snow was our old P38 Range Rover on Pirelli STs, the Freelander we had was good too but that did have Dunlop winter tyres fitted.

Will :)