Discovery Winch Decision - Superwinch/Champion

axlechorus

Dear All,

I'm after some upto date advice as all I can find so far is from a few years back on which winch to fit onto my Discovery which I use for Greenlaning, Marshalling and general use. Its going to be there more "incase" than planning to use it but I want it to be future proof in the sense of being upto some regular abuse albeit not to a challenge level should I start needing to use it more.

Both are going to be installed with twin batteries, an X-eng split charger and with the solenoid mounted inside the engine bay keeping it out of harms way and allowing me to keep my front spots. As shown with my bumper below.

post-13446-0-56364900-1323550688_thumb.jpg

I've narrowed my choice down between the following two Winches

Superwinch - LP10000

http://www.electricw...p10000-12v.html

Champion - C9500 HS

http://www.firstfour...speed-12v-winch

Both would get a synthetic Dyneema in time which @140 is the difference between the sythetic equiped champion and non equiped one on the prices I can find currently hence looking to get the steel rope one in the first instance.

My questions are what are peoples current experiances with Champions build quality and this winch in particular. I like the fact that its fully sealed and comes with a very long electric & mechanical warranty but is it just going to keep going back for new bits?

Also with the Superwinch does anyone have any experiance with this lower level Superwinch and is it likely to be upto the elements in terms of water etc like the champion claims?

Any thourghts welcome.

Ryck

i've got a T-Max 13000lb on the front of my 110 which seems to handle anything that i've used it for.Got it off ebay for i think £400 brand new with Plasma type rope.

it easily pulled out a Nissan Pathfinder stuck in the mud/clay at Tixover Quarry.

i think the new version has been upped to 13500lb and it's black not orange.the solenoid packs are sealed and relocatable if you extend the control wires.

Goldfish > both.

I actually Hadn't thought about the Goldfish offerings but I see their 9500 is the same price as the champion. Would you recommend that to perform better than the champion then? Does anyone have current experiance of these things are all the reviews I have are off older less reliable models and whilst they claim/the rumour mill says they have got better I have not come accross any evidence of this.

i've got a T-Max 13000lb on the front of my 110 which seems to handle anything that i've used it for.Got it off ebay for i think £400 brand new with Plasma type rope.

it easily pulled out a Nissan Pathfinder stuck in the mud/clay at Tixover Quarry.

i think the new version has been upped to 13500lb and it's black not orange.the solenoid packs are sealed and relocatable if you extend the control wires.

Cheers for that, £400 with a plasma rope is certainly something that appeals. Do you know what the support is like for spares in the future though? I will extend the wires like we have done with Dads superwinch X9 in order to move it from harms way, we brought the tool to do the flares and end's to the wires so thats not an issue.

I actually Hadn't thought about the Goldfish offerings but I see their 9500 is the same price as the champion. Would you recommend that to perform better than the champion then? Does anyone have current experiance of these things are all the reviews I have are off older less reliable models and whilst they claim/the rumour mill says they have got better I have not come accross any evidence of this.

Cheers for that, £400 with a plasma rope is certainly something that appeals. Do you know what the support is like for spares in the future though? I will extend the wires like we have done with Dads superwinch X9 in order to move it from harms way, we brought the tool to do the flares and end's to the wires so thats not an issue.

this is the one i have on the front of my 110. ebay,140565331951.£356 delivered.

Untill last week I had a small champion winch on my trailer. I've bought it about 16 months ago and I've used it a few times and the pulling power was good for the price. But after a few weeks the free spool lever broke, so I used the motor to spool out. Last week I wanted to use it again and it did not work anymore.

I've taken it apart and all the magnets in the motor had come loose and ruined everything inside :-(

Now I've taken the superwinch X3 of my boot trailer and put that on my other trailer. This winch is I think 15 years old and still everything works.

On my Land Rover I have a Superwinch Husky that keeps on working. therefore I would choose a Superwinch again.

Careful with a Bow2 fitted, if you winch mount goes between the chassis rails on a Land Rover, it will be too long to go it!

In fact, with a Bow1 fitted I have had to make clearance for the allen bolt on the end of the winch in my winch tray....

Great winch, but pretty long due to the external cone brake.

Careful with a Bow2 fitted, if you winch mount goes between the chassis rails on a Land Rover, it will be too long to go it!

In fact, with a Bow1 fitted I have had to make clearance for the allen bolt on the end of the winch in my winch tray....

Great winch, but pretty long due to the external cone brake.

Thats interesting. Mine will sit in between the chassis rails in a bumper I got from Karl on this site brought forward in the middle in order to take my custom A bar. Do you have the measurements or any pictures of the Goldfish you have fitted as it is likely to be in a similar mounting situation to mine looking at your profile picture.

Many thanks for all the feedback. I don't think I will be going down the Champion route and will look in more detail at the Goldfish or a superwinch. That big orange one looks interesting but I can't help but feel that the support for parts just won't be there in a few years time like it is for Superwinch in particular.

Many thanks

Ryck