(sunroof) if its not the seal

twizzle

I cured leaks on both a D1 and a D2 by sealing between the sunroof frame and the roof .

The original gasket /seal is paper thin and after a while is almost non-existent.

You could try cleaning all around the frame and then running a bead of silicone around it - or some have run tape all around the frame to roof joint as a test to see if it helps .

If you are taking out the headlining anyway then the best option would be to also remove the sunroofs complete and reseal between frame and roof . The only problem you could run into is if any of the 14 Torx headed screws have rusted into place . The metal insert they are threaded into could then start turning with them - can be very difficult to remove then .

• 2 weeks later...

I only gt a leak if I park mine on my slopping (down) drive with the front point down towards the house, the water comes in through the sunroof switch gear and around the from seat belts, although guess it could be getting in anywhere.

If I back it onto the drive with the front pointing up the slope or on the flat no problem at all ? , so being a lazy bugger I've not bothered to try and sort it out!

From that I would be fairly sure its the seal between sunroof frame and vehicle roof - as both drains are at the front any water getting in between sunroof glass and seal should go out the drains .

And quite a few posts I read when 'researching' my problem said the drains are rarely the problem .

You could remove the headlining and leave it out for a while as I did ( for a few mths actually as I hated the thought of putting it back ). However it will then be easy to see where the problem is .

You can check drains - the usual problem with them appears to be that they break off from the frame .

You can also seal the joint between frame and body with black tape and see if it solves it etc. etc.

I imagine it’s the same for Disco I as Disco II and its worth checking.

The drain pipes push onto plastic plugs / sockets which fit into the metal frame of the sunroof. These sockets over time brake away from the sunroof, they don’t come away but do allow water to seep / poor past into the truck.

Sadly the only way I have found to cure this is to remove the sunroof, (not as bad as it sounds) and clean up, dry and re-glue the sockets.

This cures the leak

hi all

i sealed all the way around the sunroof with clear sealer for now or until i get a good couple of days when i can take them out and do it properley. but had all this gale force sideways rain and it's stayed dry

:blink: TWIZZLE :blink:

Hi guys. Just removed my rooflining yesterday. Mine turned out to be a bit of an odd one. One of the fixing screws for the map holders had been screwed through the drainage pipe on the drivers side ??????? When tightened this effectually closed the pipe causing the sunroof to overflow. Removing the headlining isnt as bad as I thought or haynes suggested. On my D1 it's just sunvisors, sunroof handles, roof handles and top rear covers. Dont worry about door pillers etc. Just lever out slightly at the top and pull the lining out. Only took an hour an I didnt know what I was doing :) I'm leaving the lining off for a while to check for anymore leaks, ( plus I'm really a defender wanna be and quite like the look, tho the wife isnt so keen :) ) I've got 1 little drip still to sort. It's actually coming through the winder mech it's self. Get the linning out it's not difficult. Easier to clean and sort any sagging out to before replacing.

I have my roof lining out at the moment, Think mine is the seal what the glass sits on. would anyone know if I have to take the whole sunroof out just to replace the seal the sunroof sits on? already hady my sunroofs out and sealed around the plastic frame ect.

• 2 weeks later...