2stroke oil

dave t

I guess this has been discussed before but its new to me, after reading about adding a small quantity of 2stroke oil to the diesel I thought I would have a go. I added about 150mil to half a tank of diesel in my 300tdi and WOW! what a difference, the engine is quieter, smoother and more powerful.

I am surprised that such a small quantity of 2stroke can have such a big effect! anybody else tried this?

merry xmas

Dave

i was reading about this recently and i also gave it a try,and yes i did notice a bit of a difference,mainly on first start up the engine seemed smoother and quiter,lthough i didnt notice much difference under normal driveing,i also made sure i got the green 2 stroke oil as was a bit worried about useing the red

"honestly mr ministry man its the 2 stroke thats turned it red" :ph34r:

Hi Guys,

Yes - I use it all the time for it's obvious benefits, already mentioned.

Found my original info off a 'Transit Forum' but this makes a really good read too: Linky

Seems that some fuels are very low in the lubricant quantity these days and they are also sneaking in BioFuels too - simply to add to 'Green creds'.

I also use it in my Rover 75 - that goes better too! :D

I often wondered about the red but that is what I use and when changing a fuel filter the contents poured into a glass jar appears brown anyway.

As I always carry 2 or 3 100ml plastic bottles (in Blue Peter Fashion) in the boot for when I fill up 'away' I'll be able to demonstrate the honesty of my remonstrations - if and when it occurs - followed up of course by the receipts or visa bill for my honest fuel bills! So not to worry :ph34r:

A Good Christmas Wish to one and all. :P :P

Once the tax man realises that we no longer use heating fuel in our house I think they will come and lock me away, :blush: heating fuel (industrial diesel) doesnt carry any road tax or state excise -- result instead of paying $1.50 a litre at the bowser its only $0.72 -- the same rate that farmers here in Australia pay with their fuel subsidies.

I get 400 litres at each fill, which is the maximum size external heating oil tank permitted and yes I use two strike oil in it as well, around a 1-2% ratio.

I use some two-stroke oil for my 300tdi but not very much at all - 150ml per 100 litres. I use Castrol 2-T.

Our diesel here contains either 500ppm or 50ppm sulphur. I prefer to use the 500ppm as it is good for the injector pump and is also slightly cheaper. I believe that diesel in the UK has almost no sulphur - what amount does it officially have?

So what type of 2 stroke oil are you guys using - the stuff for aircooled engines like strimmers, or the stuff for watercooled engines like outboard motors (TCW3 or similar)? The oils are somewhat different as aircooled engines run hotter (apparently)

I've tried it and kept record of my MPG. TBH the oncrease in economy had more to do with the extra half litre of oil in the fuel tank than anything else. It wasa bit quieter but not enough to justify the faffing about, I can't comment on the smoke but i like to think it was less.

From what i read it makes more difference in poor quality fuel.

• 1 month later...

I guess this has been discussed before but its new to me, after reading about adding a small quantity of 2stroke oil to the diesel I thought I would have a go. I added about 150mil to half a tank of diesel in my 300tdi and WOW! what a difference, the engine is quieter, smoother and more powerful.

I am surprised that such a small quantity of 2stroke can have such a big effect! anybody else tried this?

merry xmas

Dave

Using 2Tis a new one on me ,but I have and in fact do use 1/2 gallon of engine oil mixed with 1/2 gallon of diesel ( prior to putting in tank ).The theory being that mechanical parts work better with a bit of lube , and fuel pumps need all the help available plus valves etc ( cyl head ) my theory/ practices were implemented a long time ago ,before anybody started messing about with fancy inhibitors or before the removal of lead from petrol ( it works the same in a petrol engine ) per half tank full.coachman

I have been adding 2st oil now on a regular basis, about 200mls to 50 quids worth of derv and I can definitely say the engine runs much better, quieter and smoother especially at tickover and at cruising at around 60-70mph. Dont notice any improvement in economy, I seem to get 30mpg more or less whatever I do.

My disco is fitted with an allard intercooler, pump is tweaked, de-egred and decatted. my opinion, its as powerful and as quiet as my chipped td5 was

cheers

Dave