AWDC Scorpion Racing Trophy Round 5

najw

The steel pipe one is not as clear cut IMHO. Is it any different to rolling a rock or two out of the way the clear the diff or pushing aside a tree as you pass? All are clearing obsticles that impeed your progress to the punch, and make it easier for following competitors. Was it wrong for the first team to do punch 40 to clear a path for others to follow? All I'm saying is it's a grey area as no one knows where the line is drawn. No gripe, just commenting.

That was my point Mark, I don't consider it cheating just not in the spirit of the challenge after all once the pipe was moved the only challenge was finding the punch !

We were dissapointed to find the pipe moved to and in the event it proved more of a hindrance as we caught a tyre on it reversing out and had to winch the back end round to clear it. We too were looking forward to driving over it. Never noticed any punches missing though we did reverse over one by accident after getting it (33) and asked the marshalls who were present to put it back as it had been (which they did). Since there were several teams who got 37 or more puches (6 I think) I do wonder whether any of the punches really were removed. We certainly found them all where they were meant to be (and left them that way too I might add).

We were dissapointed to find the pipe moved to and in the event it proved more of a hindrance as we caught a tyre on it reversing out and had to winch the back end round to clear it. We too were looking forward to driving over it. Never noticed any punches missing though we did reverse over one by accident after getting it (33) and asked the marshalls who were present to put it back as it had been (which they did). Since there were several teams who got 37 or more puches (6 I think) I do wonder whether any of the punches really were removed. We certainly found them all where they were meant to be (and left them that way too I might add).

I put 33 back with a yellow tie-warp, the only one we knew that got lost was 38 - probably broke off, and got lost in the mud - assuming this is where is was.

Graham Fuller, broke both front halfshafts trying to get this one :o

After the event myslef and Turbocharger (??) had to go and collect 7 punches but could not even find 38.

ss2 results

2 3:26 3 tokens

3 3:39 3 tokens

4 1:57 1 token

5 2:39 3 tokens

6 2:51 3 tokens

8 2:22 3 tokens

10 3:26 3 tokens

14 3:03 3 tokens

19 2:16 2 tokens

20 4:03 3 tokens

21 2:29 3 tokens

24 3:46 3 tokens

25 2:33 1 token

36 4:01 3 tokens

38 3:33 3 tokens

39 3:19 3 tokens

44 2:07 1 token

49 3:12 3 tokens

51 3:16 3 tokens

52 2:49 3 tokens

54 3:04 3 tokens

68 3:04 3 tokens

70 4:50 3 tokens

71 3:00 3 tokens

72 2:02 1 token

73 2:55 3 tokens

For the unitiated each token was worth 50 points + fastest time was worth 850 then 840 then 830 and so on

How about some times for SS 2 so we can see who "ate all the pies" :D
24 3:46 3 tokens

Well that answers that question :P

I'm supprised you guys done all three tokens, was there medical assistance standing by for you two running up the hill? :o:ph34r:

We'd have got a better time if i hadn't f**ked up jumping in the car, banging my head and falling back out :rolleyes::lol:

Interesting to see how those who chose to do only one (or two) tokens fitted in to the scoring.

Bish wanted to keep the Steps CD but Carole said Neil would be upset as that was his favorite :P

Errr....we were the first to do the stage and sure it was 3.07 as thats what I told everyone who asked what time we had :unsure: and with Nick it surprised us both....we were panting so much they could have said any time and we would've believed it !

I asked Nick today without giving the time away and he said the same

It don't really make a lot of difference, so we're not fussed anyway

Nick "did" only want to do the first, but I just told him I was getting them...then he had to put them back :D

Could'nt stop chuckling while I was sat waiting for him to come back down :ph34r:

I'm sure he was break dancing halfway up...... :D

and doing the stutter Rap when he got back in :lol:

Well i had a great weekend, thanks Neil and the team :)

Pigster and I had our usual banter :lol: all good fun :lol:

:angry: just work'd out the points/place's after taking out sat night's score :o we were 2nd on sunday :angry::angry::lol::lol: oh well :lol: thats competitions for you, good score that dont count <_<

Not blaming Tango/Les as i lost a tyre up a dry rocky river bed in the dark, not a place to chang a wheel :lol:

Night section's/Team's let's have some more B) Pick our own team's? or out of a hat?. But if we get to pick, i'll stick with the same team mate's ;) we had a bl**dy good laugh :lol:

Dont like all these CHEATS out there :angry: with regards to the pipe! unless you Tape it in place and have a Marshall there all day how are you going to police it???

Well it seams to me that some are so desperate to win the championship/day, that they will do what needs to be done to win it. while others still enjoy the comp for what it is, a challenge.

See you all at the next round..... Bl&&dy hell thats a long way :lol:

which means go easy on me driver.. because I am at a weding all of saturday before hand- into the late hours.. and then driving my way up to you to run around... I think I may be a little bit tired.. :o)

lets hope theres more of this driver has to run about stuff instead of me.. I reckon I ran at least 7 mile over the two days..

2nd for sunday - - dam... now thats what a tdi does for you Adrian.. :D

Well i had a great weekend, thanks Neil and the team :)

Pigster and I had our usual banter :lol: all good fun :lol:

:angry: just work'd out the points/place's after taking out sat night's score :o we were 2nd on sunday :angry::angry::lol::lol: oh well :lol: thats competitions for you, good score that dont count <_<

Not blaming Tango/Les as i lost a tyre up a dry rocky river bed in the dark, not a place to chang a wheel :lol:

Night section's/Team's let's have some more B) Pick our own team's? or out of a hat?. But if we get to pick, i'll stick with the same team mate's ;) we had a bl**dy good laugh :lol:

Dont like all these CHEATS out there :angry: with regards to the pipe! unless you Tape it in place and have a Marshall there all day how are you going to police it???

Well it seams to me that some are so desperate to win the championship/day, that they will do what needs to be done to win it. while others still enjoy the comp for what it is, a challenge.

See you all at the next round..... Bl&&dy hell thats a long way :lol:

Whereever there is competition there will always be cheating to a greater or lesser degree. Look at all the doping scandal in cycling or the turbo sizes in F1 etc. At the end of the day it serves no purpose. I must say the wording used on the forum today has taken the shine of our win. I really hope the allegations of cheating are not aimed at Steve and me but reading things like "Do they really need to win that much ?" & "some are so desperate to win the championship/day, that they will do what needs to be done to win it", by the very fact that we won it makes me feel like they are.

I will agree with Adrian that the night section was fantastic fun and that we too had great team mates in the form of Peter and NIck (Blue hardtop 90). Unfortunately no one has a photo of pete when he thought it would be quicker to come off punch 44 without the winch! Lucky he had a hard top and not a truck cab as the thing sat vertical on its tail! the rest of us could just laugh.

I really hope the allegations of cheating are not aimed at Steve and me but reading things like "Do they really need to win that much ?" & "some are so desperate to win the championship/day, that they will do what needs to be done to win it", by the very fact that we won it makes me feel like they are.

I didn't read it that way. Don't be too sensetive. ;)

Chris

nothing is said at yourselfs.. or pointed.. you won it.. Good on ya -- (bast**ds) :D

personnally I am just happy we completed the entire event.. :o) which is the first ever I am sure of it. and we didn't need to fill up with fuel during the event either..

many congrates to you on the win - for newby's aswell wasn't it...

Cheating in the big money toys is a little different to our budget motoring comps, but it will always happen as you say.

I would like of seen that... did he require new undies after..

bring on more night stuff... :D

Whereever there is competition there will always be cheating to a greater or lesser degree. Look at all the doping scandal in cycling or the turbo sizes in F1 etc. At the end of the day it serves no purpose. I must say the wording used on the forum today has taken the shine of our win. I really hope the allegations of cheating are not aimed at Steve and me but reading things like "Do they really need to win that much ?" & "some are so desperate to win the championship/day, that they will do what needs to be done to win it", by the very fact that we won it makes me feel like they are.

I will agree with Adrian that the night section was fantastic fun and that we too had great team mates in the form of Peter and NIck (Blue hardtop 90). Unfortunately no one has a photo of pete when he thought it would be quicker to come off punch 44 without the winch! Lucky he had a hard top and not a truck cab as the thing sat vertical on its tail! the rest of us could just laugh.

I'm not having a dig at you or anyone in particular, it just pi$$'s me of when some had to do the punch the hard way.

Just for the record the pipe was moved when we got there.

I think yours was a great win, you drove well on both days, well done.

See you at the next one.

Just to set the record straight......

The "they" was as in anyone in any of the series that cheats , not "you" in this one !

You won, enjoy it :)

Don't be so sensitive and think that it's all pointed to you,its not, look back at the threads on the other events in the series and you will see Neils had trouble with punches and broken tape on nearly everyone :angry:

It was a generalisation

We had a great time in the Yamaha rhino at the weekend, it was our first event and we have alot to learn!! The rhino went well and proved it can do it. Tom my co-driver has not done much offroading and he too is on a seep learning curve but with a few more events under our belts and we should be working together alot better. We dont get to practice driving on rocks much in Norfolk!!

We are going to get new coilover shocks to improve the ground clearence because the standard shocks were suffering with the extra weight that we have added to the vehicle. we will also have a snorkle and a set of road legal tyres!! We were thinking about some 35" simex tyres :D insted of our little 27" quad tyres :rolleyes: (ARE YOU WORRIED NOW!!!!)

We did the punch over the steel Pipe it was quite easy, ill get the Photo off Tom, the rhino looks quite funny with all wheels hanging! it was sad that someone pulled it out of the way kind of defeats the point of a challenge event! We also got to punch 38 and found it to be missing. maybe the Punches need to be fixed to bigger trees, I know its not always posible but i think alot of the ones that had broken off had bigger trees next to them.

Aye we really enjoyed the night stuff, even if we did loose our team mates and due to comms problems couldn't locate them again.

Wish we'd lost ours..... :lol:

No not really it was a great laugh...esp when me, Nick & Pigster all had head torches and Adrian was trying to put the wheel nuts on in the dark, cause we were to busy taking the Pi** :ph34r:

More night sections would be great, but it looks like we won't be doing anymore this year.. :(

:ph34r:

We are going to get new coilover shocks to improve the ground clearence because the standard shocks were suffering with the extra weight that we have added to the vehicle. we will also have a snorkle and a set of road legal tyres!! We were thinking about some 35" simex tyres :D insted of our little 27" quad tyres :rolleyes: (ARE YOU WORRIED NOW!!!!)

:D Do it!!! You going to enter the next one?? (in standard class..... :ph34r::D )

We had a great time in the Yamaha rhino at the weekend, it was our first event and we have alot to learn!! The rhino went well and proved it can do it. Tom my co-driver has not done much offroading and he too is on a seep learning curve but with a few more events under our belts and we should be working together alot better. We dont get to practice driving on rocks much in Norfolk!!

Looking forward to seeing more of it, I was impressed. :)

Chris (With the Grizzly)

Have just read the write up on the Scorpion website. Spot the obvious mistake. It was not us who got all 40 punches but another team (but AWDC results page has crashed so not sure who). Does anyone have a way of getting the correct info to Scorpion as I would hate for this to be published in the magazines as it stands.

Championship results now updated

HERE

I agree with Pigster that moving the steel pipe was uncalled for. It really does defeat the object if people are going to haul the obstacles out of the way. Its hard enough on some of these sites (including Walters) finding quality punches in the first place!!!

Still I don't consider that cheating - unlike whoever it is who is cutting the punches off and throwing them away :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Hi Neil,

The team or teams doing the cutting and throwing will surely have punched those punches and everyone else how then couldn't find them have not, is it not worth checking the punch cards to find out by a process of elimination who they are or narrow it down at least, if they think they may get caught out it may stop,