2.5TD non existant heaters

Hi, I've recently bought a 89' 2.5Td 'fender and it has possibly the worst heaters I've ever come across!!

what have people done to cure this?? I mean they literally just circulate cold air around the cab :(

Any help is apprecaited as its flipping freezing atm lol

Samo

I have just rebuilt my heater box and hope it will give plenty of warmth when the truck is back together. The potential for improvement by doing a rebuild is huge.

1 The heat exchanger had a slight weep and was probably half full of corrosion so not working very well at all.

2 The flap that directs the air over the heat exchanger was missing any foam so had gaping gaps around it. The cables need to be adjusted so this gives a tight fit so all cold air goes via the heater and not via the by-pass,

3. The heat exchanger padding had all disintegrated so there was a 1 cm gap all around it so any cold air would simple go round it and not through it...

4 The big rubber gasket to the bulkhead was perished giving an other source of cold air ingress into the system other than via the heater.

So there you go. Buy yourself a pile of 4mm rivets, a new heater matrix, a new bulkhead rubber seal and a pile of self adhesive draft-excluder/padding and set to. Get the heater on to a bench. Remove the top and remove the fan and you have access to most of the critical bit. When open it will be obvious how it all works. Remember what you are aiming for it to get all the air coming through the bulkhead opening to have come via the heater matrix. Replace the matrix and get busy with the insulation. If any air can find an alternative route then it is going to make it cooler.

HTHs

I had done a rebuild, but also after i refitted it i made sure all adjustments had been made and mine is toastie, even without all the rubber and insulation in it; although i do get wet through condensation ( mental note to myself, put roof lining back in).

its all well and good getting your heater set up right - but my tdi struggles to warm the coolant sufficiently on my morning journey to make the heater matrix worth having!

engine gets up to temp, but not hot enough to force open the thermostat and actually noticably warm the rest of the coolant!!!!!!! Now if my commute involved a good motorway blast where i could get some heat into the engine, brilliant - but unfortunately sat around 20-40mph doesnt generate enough heat to get the thing going. Radiator muff is on the cards for tomorrow.

its all well and good getting your heater set up right - but my tdi struggles to warm the coolant sufficiently on my morning journey to make the heater matrix worth having!

engine gets up to temp, but not hot enough to force open the thermostat and actually noticably warm the rest of the coolant!!!!!!! Now if my commute involved a good motorway blast where i could get some heat into the engine, brilliant - but unfortunately sat around 20-40mph doesnt generate enough heat to get the thing going. Radiator muff is on the cards for tomorrow.

But the heater matrix is permanently plumbed in on the engine side of the thermostat, the thermostat being closed is advantageous when trying to attain a hotter water temperature for cabin heating purposes surely?

My Tdi is up to temperature on the gauge at 4.5 miles from home on my commute down to college, about a 10 minute drive

The two biggest things to fix/check...

1) Make sure the thermostat does not leak. The upper hose should be stone cold until the engine gets to 88 C. Any heat means it is leaking. IME, at least 50% of NEW ones leak...

2) Adjust the hot/cold flap so it is forced hard to the hot side. This takes 10 seconds....

There are bunch of other things to do, but those are the most common problems.

I can't even hear the fan making a noise on mine. have checked the fuse and fuse terminals. Checked wiring as far as i could see/reach in the engine bay. Maybe something blown up inside the matrix?

The fan is probably stuck from dirt/mud.... Take off the intake grill and stick in something other than you hand and spin the fan until it frees up. This is very common.

my 90 runs at 60'c unless i put the muff on