200tdi turbo/manifold swap disco to defender

Ok thanks guys. Have you got any info on the correct part numbers for the oil feeds/returns? I've found ERR3495 and ERR3494 as being the defender 200tdi feed and return? I havent had a chacne to check if the turbo/manifold i've got has them on.

Also found this site: http://www.serie2a.dk/English%20series2a/200tdi%20discovery%20in%20a%20Defender.htm which seems to be pretty much what I'm trying to do, but i shouldn't have to modify the manifold I don't think?

I'll also need the downpipe from a standard defender 200tdi changed to mate to the existing exhaust, and various pipes for connection to the airbox/intercooler, is there anything else I've forgotten?

Edited by Harrod

• 1 month later...

Ok to resurrect this thread somewhat....Whilst weighing in my old faithful pug yesterday I came accross a factory fitted Defender 200 Tdi in a sorry state at the back of the scrapper. This morning I went back to remove the turbo/inlet manifold (forgot the air-intake, d'oh! back tomorrow to hopefully retrieve that). The plan is to bolt these to my disco-200Tdi before it gets dropped into the Defender.

Anyway, I can now see what Mike's saying about the alternator and PAS pump clashing with the air inlet manifold. How have people got around this? Presuambly the 'ultimate' solution what be to rob the timing chest too?

Any help/pointers to piccies would be much appreciated.

Matt

Ok to resurrect this thread somewhat....Whilst weighing in my old faithful pug yesterday I came accross a factory fitted Defender 200 Tdi in a sorry state at the back of the scrapper. This morning I went back to remove the turbo/inlet manifold (forgot the air-intake, d'oh! back tomorrow to hopefully retrieve that). The plan is to bolt these to my disco-200Tdi before it gets dropped into the Defender.

Anyway, I can now see what Mike's saying about the alternator and PAS pump clashing with the air inlet manifold. How have people got around this? Presuambly the 'ultimate' solution what be to rob the timing chest too?

Any help/pointers to piccies would be much appreciated.

Matt

take the whole engine and just convert the disco engine.. Much better off that way.

You'll also need the thermostat housing, the fip brackets and the Injector pipes, ps pump and bracket, alternator bracket, dipstick and tube and possibly the crank pulley too. Easiest to take the lot.

Hth

Mo

Ahh, yes…clearly I did not think this through. I naiivly assumed it was just a case of swapping the manifold over and that was it. Back to scrapper to negotiate I think.

Thanks gentlemen...Should be worth it to be able to use 'stock' air intake/turbo pipework though

But the turbo is still stuck down the side and you have to make bits to suit. Go the 200 route and everything is off the shelf.

IIRC when I used a 300 turbo on my last 90 the exhaust pointed at the engine mount and I had to dog leg it round it.

Mo

But the turbo is still stuck down the side and you have to make bits to suit. Go the 200 route and everything is off the shelf.

IIRC when I used a 300 turbo on my last 90 the exhaust pointed at the engine mount and I had to dog leg it round it.

Mo

That's kind of the appeal if I can get hold of all the bits for sensible money; the plumbing can be more or less factory-200tdi.

Interesting about the 300tdi turbo/exhaust though...EJP reckons it points downwards, Mo reckons it points due engine mount...anyone able to adjudicate? And if it does point straight down, does it meet with a std 300tdi exhaust?

2988.gif

It does point straight down, and it is very close to my standard SIII engine mount, but a very slight V joggle and it clears it. Don't know about a standard 300 exhuast after that as I have a standard 109 military chassis anyway, so it got modified!

Sorry, just curious here. Is a 300tdi turbo better than the 200tdi (defender both times?) Also if you fit a 300tdi turbo to a 200tdi defender engine (is this easy or a pain?) can you get at the starter motor without having to take the downpipe off, wiperwasher bottle out, cry, stamp feet, hurt hands etc?

Basically - does anyone know of a nice mod to get at the starter motor of a 200tdi? I have managed to put an eberspacher diesel heater where the water bottle was, and am beginning to realise this might not have been such a clever move.

Was thinking about cutting a hole in the passenger foot well and having a well sealed (on a landrover??? lol) plate to go over it. Any thoughts or is there an easier way?

That would be ace...albeit on a leafer so the engine mounts will be all cock-a-hoop. Not that I actually have a 300 turbo either, but could probably source one.

That said, plan 'A' is to head back to the scrapper Sat am to negotiate acquisition of the rest of that Defender 200 Tdi, for that 'stock' lock...

Kinda went a bit pearshaped last night, got stuck in the pouring rain tring to get the workshop power supply laid in so my builder can get on with laying the path today....

Here's an old photo which was taken just after the exhaust was modded to clear the engine mount...

P1010358.jpg

..just as a taster. you can just see the starter on the right. I'll have another go this afternoon.

Well, that proved more difficult than expected! At least I know now what I'll have to do to get at my starter motor-remove the air inlet pipework off the turbo, which is not difficult. There is the added complication of the steering box/bulkhead bracket I have to contend with, but other than that, there's plenty more room there than there is on my 200 turbo setup on my 88"...

2012-04-20_18-02-34_179.jpg

2012-04-20_18-02-55_312.jpg

2012-04-20_18-03-11_382.jpg

2012-04-20_18-03-45_830.jpg

2012-04-20_18-03-53_396.jpg

2012-04-20_18-05-12_945.jpg

2012-04-20_18-05-18_507.jpg