camber on the wheels?? doesent look right at all..

discomikey

i noticed today that the front wheels have noticable positive camber. ive never noticed it before. so ive jacked it up and had a feel of the swivel bearings. there is slight play in one swivel but nothign that could affect handling although ill sort it anyway.

i also noticed that my tyres have started to feather on the outer edges, i first put this down to over exuberant cornering from time to time.

but now ive noticed the camber im pretty sure its something to do with that. the tyres are almost brand new and i dont want to wreck them prematurely as they were quite expensive.

i will also be checking the toe settings just to eliminate that from the tyre wear. but i am still sure it never used to have positive camber.

is it possible your balls are upside down?

That's a bit personal! :lol:

I think on the series axles they can be put on the wrong way, the coiler axles have some of the swivel bolts closer together so they can only be fitted one way. I assume there isn't a reason why you might have bent the casing Mikey?

Wouldn't positive camber wear the inner edge first?

i may be mixed up with my cambers. the top of the wheels are pointing out and the bottom are pointing in.

ive not had the swivels off in ages and im sure they didnt look like that before, will have to have a look though.

i cant imagine i have bent the casing although it is a possibility.

Wear on the outside of the tyres is a sign of excessive toe-in - adjusting the tracking should cure that problem.

Unless there is slack in the swivels the camber is fixed by the axle construction. If the axle has been damaged its likely to affect one side only in which case hard to one side ALL the time.

i know all of this which is why i am checking the tracking but it does look as if its been running on the outside edge of the tread. which is what confuses me.

the tracking was fine before i went to biggin, and the track rod isnt bent at all either which is another thing that confuses me

different front axle from the crash. not pulled a TRE.

something dodgy happened on the way home from uni. on the A518, between stafford and uttoxeter, my front drivers wheel made some funny noises. then the vehicle started twitching, so i pulled over as i thought the wheel might fall off. the bearing before was fine as i checked it yesterday when i saw the camber.

front wheel bearing binded. dad came with the disco and trailer and picked me up.

reversing off the trailer in our yard there was a horrible metallicy click and the wheel was sort of free again.

but get this.. the hub was mildy warm at most when i stopped, same as other side. which made me think the brakes had buggered up, maybe a lining came off the shoe. but the drum brakes were both the same temperature and although quite hot, both the same. (bearing in mind i had just done a quick stop)

i had a wheelbearing sieze on me yesterday. the only thing i can think of is it was that. as for some reason the race was oval shaped :S

think its sorted the problem now although ill not be able to check til the morning.

The wheels are cambered, and seeing the tops leaning out a little is normal. Uneven camber would be a sign of worn swivels, loose swivel-axle or swivel-stub axle bolts, worn wheel bearings, worn stub axles (the areas where the wheel bearings sit can become worn and thinned, especially where spacers or non-standard wheels are used) or a bent axle.

I suspect any uneven camber or increased camber you saw was due to a bad wheel bearing. This would seem to be the case, given the failure when driving shortly after. The bearing can fail in a way that makes the bearing feel tight - it could have had a twisted or jammed roller that prevented an wobble on your test.