OT Binoculars, recommendations please

I have an old very heavy pair of Binoculars, whilst they are great they are very heavy must be 3.5kgs +, and are fairly old I was given them 15 years ago, and they weren't new then!!

Given today's improvements in materials and manufacturing what is recommended? I would like to use them in the LR but also when out walking hence the desire to loose weight!! I will use them for general looking at objects, animals, birds etc, would like them to be fairly tough (two children) and a LR, I wear glasses (not sure if this makes a difference) and don't want to pay a fortune but happy to pay for quality.

• What's recommend?
  • What to look out for?
  • What not to buy?
  • What's minimum spec (magnification etc)

Many thanks, Jason.

I find a full size pair of 10x50s to be the best all rounders - compact ones are too restricted in field of view and a 10x magnification is good enough to pick out plenty of detail. I usually spend about £30-£50 on a set that way when they get broken (and they will - kids will throw them around and you will end up with the two sides pointing in different directions) there are not too many tears.

I think one of my pairs is Jessops own brand and another is Bushnell, but they all seem to be much of a muchness. I am very short sighted in one eye but take my glasses off to use them and just adjust the adjustable eyepiece to balance them side to side.

I've sometimes wondered about getting a pair of image stabilised ones but for whatever reason the IS technology you can get in a £100 camera these days still seems to cost about £300 in a pair of binos...

I have a pair of Steiners, they stand up to everything thrown at them, waterproof, rubber armoured etc. And German optics.

It's worth going to a decent shop and doing an A-B comparison between makes, and worth paying a few extra quid, the difference in optics can be staggering.

I have a pair of Steiners, they stand up to everything thrown at them, waterproof, rubber armoured etc. And German optics.

It's worth going to a decent shop and doing an A-B comparison between makes, and worth paying a few extra quid, the difference in optics can be staggering.

Ditto.

I love my Steiners, had them for near twenty years now.

Those that have them rave about Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski, if you can afford the entry price.

I have a pair of Pentax 8x25s. They were a Christmas present quite a few years ago. They fit in my jacket pocket nicely but are not the lightest given the size.

My main requirements were compact enough for use when out walking, either to go in a daysack or pocket. They tend to live in the Landy (in a padded pouch they came with) most of the year round and have not suffered from cold/damp.

Optic are very good, plenty of light in, and focussing is easy too. The viewing end has retractable collars to enable use by spectacle wearers.

We also recently gained a much lighter pair of 8x20s, free when we joined the National Trust. The look nicely made and focus accurately enough, but beyond this I can't report much yet. They have name on them, other than NT, so I don't expect too much for free. Happy to be surprised though :)

I have an old very heavy pair of Binoculars, whilst they are great they are very heavy must be 3.5kgs +, and are fairly old I was given them 15 years ago, and they weren't new then!!

Given today's improvements in materials and manufacturing what is recommended? I would like to use them in the LR but also when out walking hence the desire to loose weight!! I will use them for general looking at objects, animals, birds etc, would like them to be fairly tough (two children) and a LR, I wear glasses (not sure if this makes a difference) and don't want to pay a fortune but happy to pay for quality.

• What's recommend?
  • What to look out for?
  • What not to buy?
  • What's minimum spec (magnification etc)

Many thanks, Jason.

I used to sell bino's, this is my take on it.

Try before you buy! Do not mail order.

More expensive often doesn't mean better, just more expensive.

How much do you want to spend?

Anything from £15-120 can be comparable at a surprisingly alarming rate. If you truly want quality look at something like Leica, but you'll be paying £650 and upwards at this level. If you don't want to pay this much do NOT, even for a second try out binoculars like this, as nothing else will ever compare (even your own eyes arguably ;) ) .

As a rule the larger the optic (the second number, e.g. 50 in 10x50) the more light it allows in. In this example 50 means 50mm lenses. The bigger they are the easier they will be to focus, the better the depth of field and the clearer the image.

The downside is bigger optics are, well bigger and heavier. So it's a balancing trick on size vs use.

The magnification, e.g. 10 times in a 10x50 is also important. The lower the magnification the wider the field of view, but more importantly the easier it is to hold them and to focus them. I personally prefer 8x magnification with 10x only for specific use on a quality pair of binoculars. Anything higher (e.g. 12 or 16x) and most people will not be able to hand hold them, so you'll want a tripod and will need large optics.

As a rule stay clear from "zoom" binoculars as the optics are vastly lower quality.

But make sure you try before you buy!!

Jessops used to sell some lovely semi compact binoculars for £25-30, sadly I don't think they make the same ones anymore. But I've bought several pairs and they are better, clearer and nicer to use than £150 binoculars we used to stock.

Olympus, Nikon, Canon and all the other big names are worth trying, but some do play on the name selling them.

Cheers guys,

Some great tips, guess it is time to start browsing the bay of e for an appropriately priced pair. ^_^

Jason.

All else being equal, the extra cost for Zeiss etc gets you somewhat better clarity and much better use in very low light. I have Zeiss binoculars and a Swarovski scope on my rifle (both second hand from a dealer) and often shoot rabbits at dusk that I cannot see with the naked eye. Since these items are well over a grand apiece new, they are not worth the money unless very clear long range and low light performance is what you need.

From years ago I also have a small armoured pair of Minolta binoculars that fits in a pocket for walking and watching the odd bird, and they were 80 quid or so, and are child-proof.

Richard

If you truly want quality look at something like Leica, but you'll be paying £650 and upwards at this level. If you don't want to pay this much do NOT, even for a second try out binoculars like this, as nothing else will ever compare.

I made that mistake. It took me over ten years to save up but last year I bought a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42. They cost me most of a month's salary but I've not regretted it for an instant since.

Nick.

You wont get much better than these people http://www.strathspey.co.uk/ I visited them some years ago very nice chap knows his stuff, I have some waterproof ones and they are so easy on the eye, and very clear view everyone that has tried them has brought a pair, I have some 10x50 and BAK 4 prism and level 4 coatings about £80 ish 6years ago

I have Steiner navigators, brilliant stable bins excellent at dusk for navigation at sea when trying to pick out a channel buoy against the background of urban light pollution.

Very stable clear wide viewing angle, automatic focus, with individual eye adjustment.

On a pitching boat they are easy to use at exactly the time when you need to be sure of your position and heading.

Very expensive but no regrets, hopefully once in a lifetime purchase - 30 year guarantee.

John

My old man just bought a pair of Leica 10x42HD's. I had a little look and they were great in the twilight hours. When I alsed him how the compared to his (much) cheaper Nikon's he said he couldn't tell the difference! so thats a £100 on the Niks and £1500 on the Leica... Go figure :blink:

As above TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

I love Leica 'red dot' optics, I have a D-Lux 3 camera but... you have to draw the line.

G

Try before you buy - but don't bother with shops in town, unless you are going to use them in similar locations!

Look up somwhere in the country who has them (a lot of RSPB sites have a shop) or Google to find somewhere local. You need to consider depth of field and angle of view as well as weight and magnification. If you can try the various makes out on a dull, overcast day as well as a bright day, you should find something to suit the budget and perform well.

I would say ebay would be the last palce to look, only if you knew what you exactly wanted, and were then sure that he optics were in tip top condition.

Good luck.....

another vote for the if you want to spend £50 don't look through any £600+ binoculars or you'll find yourself inviting yourself to peoples houses to rummage down the backs of their sofas ;)

Mother-in-law likes her garden birds and I thought she was bonkers spending £800 on a pair of Binoculars until I looked through them.

Personally I have a pair of ebay cheapo rubberised 10x50s that were £25 or so, a pair of compact zoom binoculars that were £80ish, a pair of 8x30 freebies that came with some tools I bought years ago and a very useful 20-60x spotting scope that was £100

Will :)