Brilliant Ideas "Going on my Christmas list 2012" Thread

I have one of the 'normal' thread gauges and it comes in very handy but if someone was to give me a thread detective as a present I wouldn't say no :) It would certainly be harder to lose! :) ..... and I have plenty of socks

Not as 'bling' but I think I'll stick with these two I have:

http://www.frost.co....itch-gauge.html

Spearos, I have to agree, but this tool is for us real engineers :P

but used in conjunction with one of these which are surprisingly cheap these days, still leaves a few more toys to be bought with your £35.

The tool is a good idea though, as is this thread. My birthday is at the end of this month :D

It's not cheap for what it is though.

Actually, for what it is, it is cheap. It cost us a fortune to make something like. If you think about, and I'm sure David would agree, you need to machine a piece of metal to have a male thread and a female thread in it, and they should be to a 6g/6h fit ideally, its a bit of work to make, and they've been zinc plated, and stuck on a piece of wire rope, with plastic spacers in between, you've got a fair old bit of stuff there for your money. I don't think we could machine each fitting in less than 1.5/2 minutes, and that'd be with scrwecutting backwards in the gap before parting off, having drilled and tapped the female side, and when our machines book out at £40/hr +, you can easil say £1.20 each, and there's a few of them!

The tool is a good idea though, as is this thread. My birthday is at the end of this month :D

This thread should be locked and banned ..... my birthday was 2 days ago and I got no tools :(

I guarantee everyone that wanders into your workshop and sees a thread detective will try to screw two of the bits together......

Oh I do like that, being that size I would be less likely to loose it, just when I needed it!!

As above I just got myself the crimper and love it, although it's something you can use for big stuff I was more impressed with the way it worked on standard crimp connectors as the smallest die is 4mm a really professional job.

For Christmas I ask for (and get) selection boxes not the chocolate type but boxes of nuts & bolts, cir-clips, crimp connectors, washes etc, always useful to have on the shelf and can be brought for £5-£12 so better than a pair of socks!!

Jason.

As this is a Christmas list thread I propose we put the hydraulic crimper that Jason recommended on the list :)

Just happens it's also £35 if bought from http://www.eastadd.c...ol-prod-76.html

Turns out they got their pricing wrong and forgot to add postage :( So Jasons ebay link is the cheapest for this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250990322863 41.99 delivered

I just ordered a crimper too! I'm a sucker for things like that - particularly recommended by someone I trust!

Si

Simon, Why do I have the feeling that you will find all sorts of uses for it apart from it's intended purpose!! Seriously I think you will be happy with it, I only have two comments so far, on smaller crimps where the wire wants to come out, its a bit of a three handed operation I got around this by putting it in the vice but want to make a small bit of tube with a base plate for it to sit in. The second thing I noticed on the bigger (yellow) crimps it crushed the plastic too much and exposed the terminal maybe I just got a bit over enthusiastic or used the wrong die but got around this by cutting off the plastic and using heat shrink.

Jason.

I have a few other items to add to the list:

A rechargeable LED torch from Clas Ohlson comes with 12v and 240v charger lasts for about four hours and has a really impressive light output and only £9.99.

12v USB power adaptors Great for charging different gadgets from Ipods to sat navs

IR Thermometer go for the higher temp range one again one of those devices that has a thousand uses, from finding leaks to faulty wiring.

12V fuse/circuit tester check the load on a circuit find items that are draining the battery etc.

Jason.

Simon, Why do I have the feeling that you will find all sorts of uses for it apart from it's intended purpose!!

What are you thinking? Crimping the toes of people who diss me on line? :o

Actually, I just want something that does a better job of big ring terminals. I have a crimper for 16-70mm from Vehicle Wiring Products - and it doesn't do a particularly nice job of them. You generally have to select the next size down to make a decent crimp. I'm hoping these will make a neater job of it!

Si