Engine Lift/Hoist/Crane

reb78

I need to buy an engine hoist. I cant keep borrowing my Uncles (especially as we need one longer term for the restoration of an old Vauxhall Magnum i have).

Given that the landy engines are going to be the heaviest i think i will need to lift, what capacity should i be looking to get? Machine Mart sell a 1ton one with an extended boom that i thought might be useful:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cfc1000lr-1t-long-reach-workshop-crane

but is that unnecessary/too fancy? (they do VAT free days, so i can get any of their products at the VAT free price if i wait till i get another voucher from them). Most of them only lift 250kg at full reach - is that enough for a 200tdi (and possibly a TD5 one day)? The Vauxhall lump is a tiny thing compared to the landy engines (although it may be deceptivley heavy if it is cast, but then i would assume that we could have the boom shorter for that car and use the 500kg capacity).

Any advice appreciated.

Whatever you buy, even when folded they take up a lot of room, but I guess you already knew that having borrow your uncle's!

250 kg is about what a 200 Tdi weighs, and yes the 1ton variants do feel at max capacity when on the full jib extension. However, if you remove the bonnet, grill, slam panel, and have suitably short lifting strop then you should be able to get away with not using the full extension on the crane. Make sure where you de-engine is as level as possible because otherwise the engine will get 'hung up' on the bellhousing bolts.

Ebay used to be awash with hoist+stand package deals for significantly less than a MachineMart job, delivered, but there don't seem to be so many now, here's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-1-Ton-Folding-Engine-Hoist-1000lbs-Engine-Stand-/180772421823?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item2a16e040bf

When I bought mine I went for a 2 tonne one as they weren't much more expensive, just had a look and the same seller has more than doubled his price on the 2 tonne one .... strangely he also does a 3 tonne that is cheaper than his 2 tonne .... although with a 3 tonne you could leave the engine where it is and lift the Defender off of the engine :P

axeminster do a good 2t hoist for a half diecent price

i need to email the company who made mine and express my hatred towards them as it looks like its been welded by a blind korian child in the dark... the few instances where the weld is straight and in the right place there is a hole in it....yes a hole! not one of the bolts were the same and very few of the holes lined up. i was spitting fire when i put it together but i needed it at the time so couldnt do anything about it.

sealy offen have deals on that involve free engine stands or lifting beams see what they have to offer

Thanks chaps. I'll have a good look around. I had seen Boyts ad, but its a 200 mile round trip and machine mart is just round the corner from me.

Good to hear that the 1 tonne one was fine for the 300tdi. I just didnt know if it was worth spending a tiny bit more for that extra reach.

I;ve also seen pics of Daans truck on here when he is removing his engine i like his use of some old rims without tyres on to lower the truck and in that way make less work hoisting the engine.

Thanks chaps. I'll have a good look around. I had seen Boyts ad, but its a 200 mile round trip and machine mart is just round the corner from me.

Good to hear that the 1 tonne one was fine for the 300tdi. I just didnt know if it was worth spending a tiny bit more for that extra reach.

I;ve also seen pics of Daans truck on here when he is removing his engine i like his use of some old rims without tyres on to lower the truck and in that way make less work hoisting the engine.

Yes, that is using the 1 tonne clarke hoist as buzza linked to. to get the engine out, I have to take the wheels off, or it wont reach high enough and that is with the grille an radiator removed. In the past I managed to do it by removing the winch as well, but that is painfull and it still is about half an inch short. Also, because my engine sits further back, even in the longest reach position, the crane does not reach far enough in the engine bay, so you need to push the engine about an inch further backwards than the crane reaches. But I think for a 300 tdi in standard position, you are ok.All that said, I bought the crane in 1999, and has always done what I wanted of it.

Daan

Thanks Daan. Mines a 200, so a little further back also. I just figured if the hoist would lift the 300, it would be fine for mine. I do like the idea of using tyreless rims though - it makes sense whatever you do not to lift the thing any higher than you need to!

I bought one of these http://www.machinema...-workshop-crane a couple of months ago and just used it on my 300tdi. No problems at all.

Steve

I've got one of these too, and to be perfectly honest, i don't think it's really appropriate for the job, it's probably within the safety factor, but it just doesn't feel good. Knowing what I know now, CW's or your original link would be better.

This is what I have; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-TON-FOLDING-HYDRAULIC-ENGINE-CRANE-HOIST-LIFT-/130515229853?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item1e63505c9d

As CwazyWabbit says, they have nearly doubled in price!! I only paid £153.90 for mine in September last year, can't believe that increase. Does look just like the one for £245.

This is what I have; http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e63505c9d

As CwazyWabbit says, they have nearly doubled in price!! I only paid £153.90 for mine in September last year, can't believe that increase. Does look just like the one for £245.

Why not go for one of these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170566141580

Less than the machine mart one and lifts twice the weight, looks like the one I bought and mine worked perfectly for my engine swap.

The £245 was only £145 till 10am today! I bought from the same seller as you last year who is now charging £358.99.!!!