Fuel tank options for a defender

disco_al

does anyone know if it would be possible to fit a discovery fuel tank to the back end of a 90?

A friend of mine wants to improve the distance between fill ups and is looking for ideas. I know a td5 tank is an option, but we have a spare disco tank which we would like to use if possible to keep costs down.

It's a 94 model if it helps.

Disco tank will only fit in the bed, it's too big to fit a 90 between the cross memebers.

If you want improved range then there are seveal options.

-keep standard tank and add a Td5/50th tank in the back also with a seperate filler and a switch over

-add another standard tank on the passenger side or do the above and this

-have some custom larger tanks to go in the standard location (and passenger side). I know someone who had some aluminim tanks made up for this

-or if the rear bed space isn't important, custom fit any larger tank in there.

-or if the rear bed space isn't important, custom fit any larger tank in there.

That's what I did..... a custom made 120ltr aluminium dieseltank. High up and out of harms way. The standard 109 tank sits WAY to vulnerable out back.

Made to my spec for 465euro.

IMG_8736.jpg

I was planning (ok it's some way down the list but it is on there!) to lose the small under-seat tank and install a larger one out of a Td5 90 at the back in the standard location, then remove the under-seat tank and replace it with a storage box.

The capacity is slightly larger (about an extra gallon I think) and if you wanted more you could leave the side-tank in as above and get more than double your range.

I was planning (ok it's some way down the list but it is on there!) to lose the small under-seat tank and install a larger one out of a Td5 90 at the back in the standard location, then remove the under-seat tank and replace it with a storage box.

The capacity is slightly larger (about an extra gallon I think) and if you wanted more you could leave the side-tank in as above and get more than double your range.

Amusingly (well to me anyway) I'm just in the process of fitting a defender 90 under seat tank to my 110 csw and have just removed the underseat storage to make space :)

Amusingly (well to me anyway) I'm just in the process of fitting a defender 90 under seat tank to my 110 csw and have just removed the underseat storage to make space :)

Any pics/tips? I'm thinking of doing the same so i can install a SVO/Diesel twin tank system. Where are you filling from (or are you connecting it to the main tank)? I had wondered if a filler tube could be run back to the triangular bit of bodywork behind the 110 second row door in front of the rear wheel arch.

Any pics/tips? I'm thinking of doing the same so i can install a SVO/Diesel twin tank system. Where are you filling from (or are you connecting it to the main tank)? I had wondered if a filler tube could be run back to the triangular bit of bodywork behind the 110 second row door in front of the rear wheel arch.

I'm basically doing it the same way as Stonefisk did, I'll stick some pictures up when I've got the tank in which should be a week or two away. We have trial fitted the tank and it fits, but only just! Anyway I'll start a new thread when I get a chance and a few more pictures :) .

BTW I will be filling from under the seat which I think is actually more convenient for veg oil, I find putting veg oil in the normal filler position it is a pain trying to keep a funnel in.

To fit a filler in the place you suggest you will need to remove the 90 filler pipe connection and refit it lower down in the tank and move the balance pipe connector around to the side as there is no space at all at the back of the tank. I think the rubber filler pipe run would be quite exposed and may get damaged off roading, also not sure where you would get a custom one made.

I got an long range fuel tank from Frogs Island about 8 years ago that fits under the floor in the back of my 90 and holds about 50 litres of fuel. It fills from the orginal filler (filler pipe is Y shaped) and allows you to fill either tank. I pump the fuel with a cheap low pressure fuel pump into the main tank via the return pipe from the engine.

It costs a fortune to fill both the tanks, but does let me drive from Devon to the Lake District with a little spare (with a 4.2 V8)without stopping.

I can take some pictures if you want?

Toby

• 3 years later...