retro fitting a radio

Well after a few months of driving in silance I have gotten very bored of this so decided its time to retro fit a radio of some description.

Now my 90 is as povo spec as they come really so how do I go about doing this?? Is there alot of wiring to do this?

Aslo where have people mounted their speakers etc??

Is it worth getting one of these to fit it into?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-Defender-series-3-center-Dash-Console-/320494338176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4a9ef38080#ht_2224wt_905

As I need somewhere to put all my switches/relays etc

sammy

Relays can stay in your battery box for any thing your adding.

In the center dash you'll find the wires you need in bullet connector blocks, you'll need a perminant live, there brown, a switched live which is white with black trace and earth which is black.

Speakers can go anywhere if your creative with making mounts etc.

The Raptor dash is a really nice bit of kit and is well made, if you are planning to add lots of switches and gauges I can recommend them. But from there web page though as you can pick the panels you want. (I have no connection to them but I am a very happy owner of one )

Speakers can be mounted anywhere as said, my ones are in the headlining.

I have the Mud console and that serves the purpose, rear speakers in the 90 are 6" round and i made 2 pods to fit at high level against the roof,above the door

The fronts are proving a bit more awkward, i bought 2 6x9s, made 2 boards to go by the seats above the seat belts; no good there as all the sound is absorbed by the seats.

Now being 6x9 they are a bit harder to put anywhere, hopefully sort out some time today.

I bought an unused genuine LR radio fitting kit which sorted out the headunit.

For the speakers I removed the pressed ally cover bits that hide the wiring for the lights in the back corners of the tub. I made replacements out of mdf (well sealed against moisture) with speakers mounted in them. Edges protected with aluminium angle to stop me taking chunks out of them when loading/unloading. Painted green to match the interior of the vehicle you hardly notice them.

i picked up an unused LR radio fitting kit which has everthing including two underdash speakers, an aerial and two mounts for head unit one for newer defs. think it was about £60. Also includes an idiot guide including lots of drawings with arrows to do install.

took about three hours in all. The main problem is taking the dash apart to get mounts in, also the earth cable is too short to reach the fusebox earth it recommends so I screwed to dash rail. Drilling dash for speakers is easy, though there is an ally plate behind the vinyl which was tougher than i expected.

I went for a raptor dash myself. Really well made bit of kit but might be a bit overkill for just a radio. Phil at Raptor is really helpful and he made a custom job for me. So if you plan on putting anything extra in later e.g. carling switches, it's well worth getting one.

As for speakers, you can cut out the two 5" speaker holes in the bottom of the dash and I have used the mudstuff speaker spacers to get the speaker off the wiper motor.

Gone a bit overboard and put some tweeters on the top of the dash as well, and there is also an amp and two 6x9's in the back in custom built speaker boxes.

Depends what you are going for and if you actually want to hear anything :P

with the raptor dash you need to crack out the jig saw to cut out the dash a bit which is steel (well mine is) and you want to watch for the sprung clips around the area you need to cut - destroyed a blade before i noticed it was there. But simple enough and a good template for cutting out :D

Are you sure it's ally? Mine is steel ... I know this as it has a bad case of tin worm from a previous leak .....

Mr wabbit, tbh not a clue now you say that, it could well be steel but as it was the first bit of shiny silver metal i have found on the truck my natural assumption was it couldn't be one of LR finest multi-oxides of steel plate used to construct (loosely) vehicles in the 1990s

If you're going DVD, may as well go GPS too, I run an older Eonon (E1025) in the FL and it's been a monster bargain, if you look on the gpspassion forums you can get OziExplorer running on most of them too:

http://www.eonon.co.uk/

Some of the double-din units are shallower depth-wise which may help in a Defender dash.

6" mids under dash, tweeters on top, 2 x 1200 watt 12" subs in custom panel attached to bulkhead with 2 x 450 watt 6"x9" in same panel running off kenwood flip out head unit and to crunch amps. Everyone says they cant hear anything for the noise there defender makes but i must be lucky, i just cant hear the defender. And yes its all squeezed in a truck cab so i can hear it!!