our KOV effort.

moose

post-1650-0-21203400-1343858151_thumb.jpg

Always working on publicity we decided to roll here so we could point out the superb X -Arms on the truck which have performed faultlessly (unlike the driver).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wasn't trying to be funny was just curious as to what people consider alot on a comp car really. by the time you have done axles, diffs, tyres and rims you have already spent a fair whack. i expect most comp vehicles are around the 10k mark for retail prices.

Better not look at the 100K+ price tags for the US Ultra4 rigs then :ph34r:

hi chaps it mark sorry i havent been on but on monday i was taken ill and was in hospital for 2 days needless to say me and my girlfriend never made it to the olympics spent it all in dorechester hospital . just want to say to you all thank you for all the good prep work you did on your cars apart from kevin and dan but they got it sorted in the end . every one involved made it a event to remember , well i am getting better now so hopefully be up and about soon so thank you every one , mark palmer

hi chaps it mark sorry i havent been on but on monday i was taken ill and was in hospital for 2 days needless to say me and my girlfriend never made it to the olympics spent it all in dorechester hospital . just want to say to you all thank you for all the good prep work you did on your cars apart from kevin and dan but they got it sorted in the end . every one involved made it a event to remember , well i am getting better now so hopefully be up and about soon so thank you every one , mark palmer

Mark that sounds quite serious to be hospitalised for two days but glad to hear your on the mend. Bob

Car 24

40" Trepador tyres are the way forward for next year 37" just not big enough

a super charger would be nice 480 hp just not enough

stronger 9" diffs

Fiddle brakes

double ended steering ram.

this year was ok but the steering was scary at 62 mph (low Box in the rev limiter) with the set up we where using

i think with the super charger 40" tyres and being able to run hi box we may be in with a shout

i believe the winning team broke a 63mm half shaft in there dana pro rock axles?

• 3 months later...

i've done them on 33" MTs a while back with J33P it took alot longer and less gusto though otherwise CVs would of been going, the 33" drop into and stick in smaller holes of which there are many whilst the larger tyres dont get stuck in them.

So would consensus be that, with Ashcroft shafts & CVs, the KOV rocks could be attacked with some gusto with 33" tyres but more care would be needed with 35" tyres?

We put new Ashcroft shafts and CV's before we went and had no problems completing all four laps with 35". I think you would struggle with 33".

Thanks both. I want to use Siroccos but from what I can see they are either 33.5" or 36.5". I don't think anything above 35.5" will clear but will have a better measure this weekend.

Have you actually measured one, quite often what is stamped on the side wall bears no resemblance to the true size.

I asked tyres direct to measure a 235/85 and they say 33". Plenty on the internet saying the 35 10.5 is actually over 36".

I measured again last night, I can't fit bigger than 35"

A simex 35 10.5 is pretty much bang on 35" (or at least mine are). Most tyres measure smaller, exept fedimas, which are about 36".

So are you doing KOV next year?

Daan

Silverstones might be easyer, but measure 33.5".

Or these:

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=22&id=141364&limitstart=20&Itemid=106

Measure around 34" I think.

I reckon with all those rocks, something like a Maxis Creepy crawler or a mickey thompson baja claw might work better.

A Maxxis trepador seems to be the tyre of choice, but rather spendy.

I also remember you wondering what a winch is. That might be worth finding out as well. :P

Daan

i spoke to ian ref a winch for you steve, if you want to borrow one, give me a shout,

in regards to daans coment on the rocks, i had considered using a set of 265 bfg muds, but after our shakedown event in the spring at walters, the advantage they would give in some areas for our truck, were outwayed elsewhere,

imho for your truck i would believe you to make up enough time on the fast bits that running a 33/35" silverstone extreme (as an example) would be sufficeint on the rocks, one thing of note, is that the silverstones are a nice soft compound, in comparison to the fedimas being quite a hard compound & also being quite heavey as they are based on truck carcass's.

we have swapped out maxxis creepy crawlers & gone for the trepador comp stickkies in an attempt to allow us to have more grip available on the rock sections than what we had with the creepys, as much as the creepys were an awesome tyre, im hoping the treps will have the edge

We did KOV in a totally unsuitable truck on 32" INSA TURBO tyres. They got everywhere everyone else got - with a bit of help from my winch, and in Hidden Valley were probably better in the mud than most. There were a lot of punctures on this event - the bigger the side walls the more chance of punctures. Some cars were getting 3 punctures per lap. We carried 2 spares and only used both spares on 1 lap.

Some of the rock climbs were hard and the tyres did get lost in the holes but I still maintain that the 2 most important factors for KOV are good driving/ route selection and reliability - Comp Car should be fine Steve!!!.

td5onrockskov.jpg

TD5ONTHEROCKS.jpg

chris bowler

Thank you all for your advice on and off forum, and Mike for the kind loan of the winch.

I like the idea of fedimas for puncture resistance but agree they are heavy and rigid. It seems the silverstone tyres are drying up.

Maxxis list a 255/85 creepy which could fit the bill depending on actual size and cost. What's peoples experience with punctures with these? The trepadors are a bit wider than I would like.

i think in relation to KOV12 and punctures there was one particular rock in hidden valley that could be attributed to 99 % of the punctures at the event. (Excluding Philons!) it was just a characteristic of the route.

As Chris says the smaller the side wall (which is where it got you) the less chance of a puncture. also the narrower your rims compared to tread width and the narrower the vehicle track the more chance you have of avoiding it.

we had a puncture on the shake down in hidden valley with J33P

then another on the actual event same place, same gash in side wall. once i knew where it was we went around it

all front left.

other than that if you run suitable tyre pressures as a mix for conditions and speed and dont drive like you stole it i dont think you will many tyre issues.

we ran Fedimas, with 20psi.

i think MTs would be just as good for KOV if the route was similar to KOV12

last point, its already mentioned, Reliability is the key.

we were slow but steady but finished.

it will take some moving! Nicked a tyre again there on J33P nov event even knowing where it was!. best bet is a sledge to it or similar.

its in the narrow section towards the end of hidden valley approx 100m before the new river cut through/bypass the side slope route, you opened up. ie just as you come into the narrow pine section.

Its on the section of the "hidden Valley" where we ran in the stream, with grass (ish) banks either side and a track higher up on the right.

this area:-

post-1650-0-27476400-1355058488_thumb.jpg

Its a large rock sticking out form the side of the bank, wont be easy to move...