Swivels : "one shot" or EP80W90

I would use thicker gear oil. I use 220 grade gear oil for my series 3. I believe it lubricates better than grease (which is a thin oil in a soap medium) and stays inside the swivel better than 90 grade.

Julian.

I used ep90 for 12years with plenty of hard offroad use and never had a problem, when i stripped the axles as part of a complete rebuild they were in almost perfect condition.

That said after the rebuild I used 1 shot but found the swivels seamed to be "dry" with road grime sticking to the swivel surface, I added a top up of ep90 and I'm happy with the result, been running it for 2years & 25K miles post rebuild and the swivels are clean with a "greasy film".

hope this helps.!

regards

Gren

Does anyone know what the one shot grease is?

I have about 20L of lithium grease, can I use it or is the one shot stuff different ?

One shot grease is a semi-liquid stuff, it's unlike regular grease. It's the same as chassis lube grease that you fill the auto-lubricators in the trucks with, but as it comes in little blister packages the price is ramped up ten fold!

Julian.

I thought if it had a drain on the swivel, it was meant for EP90 and if not, one shot. I've always wonndered if the one shot every becomes liquid enough to effectively splash lubricate the Railko type bush on the earlier swivels and for this reason i;ve stuck to EP90 in mine. You can also drain and replace EP90 (one shot doesnt drain easily) and its a lot less messy when you come to change bits in the swivel housing.

I thought if it had a drain on the swivel, it was meant for EP90 and if not, one shot

That's as I understand it but LR changed to one shot with new vehicles as a way of preventing all the warranty claims from swivels that leaked from new. I think hot countries like Australia had the most problems?

Julian.

That's as I understand it but LR changed to one shot with new vehicles as a way of preventing all the warranty claims from swivels that leaked from new. I think hot countries like Australia had the most problems?

Julian.

Ha, that would be right! I guess it isnt such an issue on the newer swivels since they use a bearing top and bottom, hence it is more likely to be ok with the grease. The railko bushes are just so tight and almost sheilded from the internals of the swivel that i think EP90 is better as its more likely to get up there and lubricate stuff.

. The railko bushes are just so tight and almost sheilded from the internals of the swivel that i think EP90 is better as its more likely to get up there and lubricate stuff.

That was my thought too, especially if you have FWH fitted as you don't have the UJ flinging it all around. I Used 220 oil in mine working on the assumption that the general disturbance in the hubs as you drive through the pot-holes would fling oil about well enough and the 220 would be less likely to leak than the 90. My swivels are a bit pitted, but not really bad enough to warrant replacement, and I'm a bit tight too!

Julian

Does anyone know what the one shot grease is?

I have about 20L of lithium grease, can I use it or is the one shot stuff different ?

The one-shot grease is officially EP00. You can get it from Shell. It is not like ordinary grease in that it is 'thixotropic'. That is, when moved or stirred it becomes liquid and when not moved it becomes more solid. This stops it leaking out. There are many thixotropic things in the world, one being non-drip paint and a lot of cosmetics have this property, especially lipstick and mascara. Not that I am suggesting you fill your swivels with lipstick :wacko:

There are many thixotropic things in the world, one being non-drip paint and a lot of cosmetics have this property, especially lipstick and mascara. Not that I am suggesting you fill your swivels with lipstick :wacko:

or that your lady uses non drip paint instead of make up.....?

• 1 month later...