Recommend me a brake flaring tool

Hello

I'm fed up of my POS Clarke kwality flaring tool and need to flare some 3/16 steel pipe on a repair job, please could someone recommend a decent tool that A works on steel as well as copper/kunifer, B can be used on the car, C isn't several hundred pounds and D I can buy tomorrow in Liverpool!

Thanks

Irritated of Sandiway!

I have a flare master 2, nice bit of kit, you can get an upgrade so it will cope with stainless pipe as well as different sized formers, but I only use the usual 3/16 so can't comment on how it performs on the bigger stuff. The vice version from sykes and pickavant are really nice, i've borrowed them before, they are mega bucks though, especially if you want a selection of tooling!

• 2 weeks later...

He He, It's alright washing your hands before committing one of them to the World Wide Web, but you might have got the pipe flare in focus as well. A set of pinkies we can see any time, even if some of them display a bit more experience of life, but a good first time flare is something worth recording properly.

<Grin>

I have the vice mounted SP tool, nothing else can touch it! I only have the 3/16" formers but luckily my friend has the whole set whihc I have borrowed to do 1/4" clutch pipes and series one brakes.

Me too. I went to look at the flaremaster at local tool shop but was convinced to buy the vice mounted one instead. Price was actually less than the FMaster kit as they only sold me the formers I needed. Think I paid £110 + vat. A doddle to use and perfect flares every time. They said I could buyany of the other formers as and when I might need them (unlikey)

Slightly OT, but a relevant trick for the pipe flaring novice who has not yet heard of it, is to paint some coppaease or similar on the outside of the pipe behind the flare (i.e. underneath the threaded nut) when you assemble the pipe to the caliper (etc.).. This will stop the nut and the pipe corroding into a solid lump and make it much more likely that you will be able to get the nut undone without wrecking the pipe after it's been on the vehicle for a few years.

Nick