Internet problems in UK?

Lars L

I've been trying to access Paddock's website since yesterday with no luck. The same goes for among others LRDirect, Brookwell and Flatdog.

Craddock and LRSeries can be accessed normally.

It's a public holiday in the UK. The server has probably crashed and there's nobody there to press the re-set button!

Julian.

I think it was just volume of traffic. For most of today I couldn't get eBay and around 2pm, even google was taking over a minute to load. Other sites at that time were working fine but on a holiday with most people at home on the web, it's like the equivalent of a denial of service attack on popular sites!

Si

I think it was just volume of traffic. For most of today I couldn't get eBay and around 2pm, even google was taking over a minute to load. Other sites at that time were working fine but on a holiday with most people at home on the web, it's like the equivalent of a denial of service attack on popular sites!

Si

That's probably your ISP being overloaded then, there's no way in hell Google would be slowed down that much.

That's probably your ISP being overloaded then, there's no way in hell Google would be slowed down that much.

Yep, agreed. Both simonr and elbekko have this nailed... although the bigger sites like Google and eBay will have adequate capacity for the demanded load, the intervening exchanges/ISPs etc. may be implementing traffic shaping (also known as throttling).

Yep, agreed. Both simonr and elbekko have this nailed... although the bigger sites like Google and eBay will have adequate capacity for the demanded load, the intervening exchanges/ISPs etc. may be implementing traffic shaping (also known as throttling).

Spot on, I have two adsl lines from different ISPs and one of them exhibited the slow down on some popular sites whilst the other showed no slow down at all.

Ah, that'll do it. Funny how the Internet's foundations (the Arpanet I think it was called?) were based on building a network that is resilient to disruption in case of major catastrophe (war I suspect). And yet, when the thing breaks the ISP's have to 'reroute' their traffic. That's not how its supposed to work, it should be automatic?!