going HID but just to clarify..

Landy-Novice

wow, so its a gray patch but frowned upon due to the light pattern and self leveling suspension. Hmmmmmm. theoretically... mine has self leveling suspension (in form of the boge unit) with some humming and areing, this should count and a universal headlight washer from ebay, bobs your uncle and fannies your aint! legal HID's :hysterical:

*just to add, i have taken your advice and got a different types of halogen light. :i-m_so_happy:

• 7 years later...

I am trying to retro fit an HID kit to my Defender, but found that the bulb retaining clip on the Wipac headlamp wont hold the HID bulb in place because the HID bulb has a couple of small protrusions which throw the retaining clip off. Now, following this thread, it seems that the whole idea is fraught with problems. 

Any ideas on how to get around the clip problem, or is there an easier way to get better light from my existing headlights, which, quite frankly, are pretty poor.

Thanks.

On 9/14/2012 at 12:33 AM, =jon= said:

I'd personally spend the money on a set of the wipac clear lensed lights (with the shaped reflector for the beam pattern), some decent bulbs (osram nightbreaker or similar) and a relay kit to get the most out of the standard lamps. If that's not enough then some driving lights with HID retrofitted for additional full beam :)

^^^^^^^^ This. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MICKT, said:

I am trying to retro fit an HID kit to my Defender, but found that the bulb retaining clip on the Wipac headlamp wont hold the HID bulb in place because the HID bulb has a couple of small protrusions which throw the retaining clip off. Now, following this thread, it seems that the whole idea is fraught with problems. 

Any ideas on how to get around the clip problem, or is there an easier way to get better light from my existing headlights, which, quite frankly, are pretty poor.

Thanks.

Wipec crystals are good bang for the buck, if not good enough look at LED's.

Or install a couple extra halogen driving lights somewhere. I've got my roof rack lights hooked up to my high beam which i find a good supplement to my headlights. You can also get some fancy bulbs which a fair few folk on here i know use. Osram knighbreaker i think is what they are.

holy thread revival! in the 8 years thats passed. ive found:

HID's are utterly herendous and a complete waste of time and money. you couldnt pay me to fit these.

wipac clear lense with good branded +150% osram/philips/ring bulbs or 80/100W with uprated relayed wire loom is mehh, nothing great.

cheap ebay LED 7" headlights with built in halo sidelight/indicator which i currently have are also pretty poor.  but they do look cool!  🤣

52" LED light bar along the roof on the other hand, is just fantastic.

trucklite LED's are going to be next i reckon.

There is nothing wrong with HIDs - Landrover have been fitting them as OEM equipment since the early 2000s and they work fine - I have converted the halogens in my RRS to HIDs and they work great.

However technology has moved on and certainly for low beam I would look at LEDs - LEDs are not quite there yet for Hi Beam but good elsewhere where you do not want distance.