Defender wont stop!

110 200Tdi

Not brakes for once!

I have recently changed my injection pump and for some reason best known to itself, even with the key out of the ignition, the engine won't stop! It's not dieseling, it ticks over quite happily, so is it simply my stop solenoid?

I haven't checked the wiring, but I can see no reason why I'm getting a false feed onto the stop solenoid! So do these mechanically stick?

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

If the stop solenoid does not stop the engine after the wire is pulled off - its usually a sign that the pump is starting to fail.Swarf gets attracted to the solenoid because it is an electromagnet.Clean the swarf out and it will work again - until more swarf makes its way to it.Was the pump secondhand ?

If the stop solenoid does not stop the engine after the wire is pulled off - its usually a sign that the pump is starting to fail.Swarf gets attracted to the solenoid because it is an electromagnet.Clean the swarf out and it will work again - until more swarf makes its way to it.Was the pump secondhand ?

+1 :)

I had the same problem on my 200tdi 90, try taking the stop solenoid off, remove the small plunger and stretching the small spring a little. This helped on mine where the fault seemed to be intermittent. Stretching the spring helped to push the plunger. Trick for removing solenoid. Cut a 24mm spanner in half, this makes it possible swing it. Then trim a little off the business end so that it is free to turn. I now keep such a spanner in my toolbox and its a 2 minute job rather than half a day!

• 1 month later...

Here's an update. Sorry it's taken a while but I've been in India and Thailand.

This all started because my original injector pump was leaking and I replaced it with a secondhand injector pump. When I first installed it, the engine wouldn't start ad I suspected the stop solenoid (turned out to be a timing problem).

It's not an electrical problem, you can remove the wire from the stop solenoid and it keeps on going!

Yesterday I finally got around to modifying a spanner and removed the solenoid and changed it for another. No difference, still won't stop. Left the stop plunger out and ran the engine briefly to clear out any much in that area.

I then teased the spring out slightly and it did stop, a very slight hesitation after turning off, but it stopped. Hooray!

This morning, it wouldn't start. Leaping to the conclusion that I'd put too much pressure on and on a cold morning it wouldn't lift, I swapped the springs over. Still wouldn't start. Cut a long story short - not enough diesel!!! So with more diesel it started!

So, swapped them back again (to the slightly longer spring), won't stop. Took a trip to Cheltenham today with my twin axle trailer and collected a Triumph Stag (my second, I don't learn!) hoping a good trip would possibly warm a few things up and sort out the problems. Nope, still wont stop.

Any ideas? I'm running out of them - I can't have two dodgy stop solenoids and on that basis I don't want to buy a third as I strongly suspect it wont work either!

Cheers

Peter

• 7 months later...

An update.

Brand new solenoid stop valve.

Still wont bl@@dy stop on the key! If it is cold, revving the engine will make it stop with the ignition off, so it must be just a trickle getting through.

The pump is relatively inaccessible and I really don't want to remove it (but I may have to!) Can anyone describe what the stop valve plunger goes in to? I assume it's a chamber that stops the flow of fuel? Could there be a burr or a small piece of debris stopping the plunger seating properly?

If I poke around down there and if it is debris, what is the risk of dislodging it into the injector pump and screwing that up totally?

Getting desperate here guys and gals! Help!

Cheers

Peter

Non-stopping of Trowbridge!