Miss fueled Disco

Simon_CSK

Hi guys gone and done it tonight. I have put 49 litres of unleaded in my TD5 fortunately I did not start it up. No will need to drain the tank anybody know the simplest method for doing this on the Disco TD5.

Do I take the tank out or is there easy access at the top?

Job for tomorrow morning before I do anything else.

I am so angry with myself for doing it too. I normally check very carefully after doing it once before.

under the boot floor carpet you'll find a round inspection cover ( located centrally in floor ), pop that off, underneath is the fuel pump assembly, twist the locking ring off and after disconnecting the elec plug and four fuel lines pull out the pump - theres you fuel.....................good luck

Thanks Phantom. The tank was at the bottom of the red mark I always run until it is almost empty. Can I just drain in as fill it up with Diesel there will only be a minute amount of petrol in it if I can drain it from the top and my local garage is 1/3 of a mile away.to top up.

Take an ample piece of garden hose and enough containers to hold the fuel you are going to take out.

Put the garden hose in the tank until it lies on the bottom, then suck on the other end to start syphoning the fuel out of the tank. Be careful not to get a mouthful of the stuff :-)

If the container is full just stop syphoning by closing the hose by bending it or pressing on it. This way you also can move around the end of the hose without the fuel going back in the tank.

Continue until most if nog all of the fuel is out of the tank, top off with diesel oil, then start motor.

If you don't want to syphon it off the classic way, go to a garage and get yourself an electric pump to get fuel out of a tank.

Have drained it through the filler spout at the tank. It was very easy to get in and under. Only undid one jubilee clip and slid the pipe back. The petrol than easily came out Have taken out about 48 litres which is one litre less than I put in. My tank was dry anyway so am just about to get a jerry can full of diesel to put in it then I will take the car to a garage and fill up completely.

Simon, I'm just being nosey but how did you get the TD5 home after filling it up with petrol without starting it? Was it the big yellow taxi?

Yes AA although I had a lot of hastle as they wanted a fuel technician to sort it out at cost of over £250.00. Have just put 100 litres into the car so I would guess that the tank was just about dry.

"2nd time" - maybe you should just put a petrol engine in it... you obviously want to buy the stuff! ;)

Maverik

The last time I did it was about 7 years ago in a Freelander. Trust me it is very easy to do and I have had two petrol cars since and have always tried to be careful

Cheers for that Simon, nice to know you can get them just to recover you and save the extra £250, I'll keep that in mind in for when I make the same mistake :)

Looking on the bright side you now have 10 gallons of highly flamable degreaser!

I was transferred to the miss fueling section and they were insisting that was the only was I could get assistance. I asked that they call me back while I worked out what to do. Started to walk home about 10 minutes away only to receive a call from the recovery driver who was at my car. I was trying to arrange a tow from various friends.

Take an ample piece of garden hose and enough containers to hold the fuel you are going to take out.

Put the garden hose in the tank until it lies on the bottom, then suck on the other end to start syphoning the fuel out of the tank. Be careful not to get a mouthful of the stuff :-)

Just for future reference you can avoid any risk of getting petrol (or whatever you are syphoning) in your mouth by doing the following:

1. Feed a long length of hose into the tank/container so that it coils up and fills with fuel
  2. Put your thumb over the end of the hose and slowly withdraw the hose from the tank
  3. Put the end of the hose into the container you are draining into, which obviously has to be lower than the bottom of the tank
  4. Remove your thumb and the syphoning process will begin, at worst with a bit of petrol on your thumb and not in your mouth

It's just like putting your finger over the end of a drinking straw and lifting it out of the glass, the drink comes out with it because there's no way for air to get in.

Cheers for that Simon, nice to know you can get them just to recover you and save the extra £250, I'll keep that in mind in for when I make the same mistake :)

Looking on the bright side you now have 10 gallons of highly flamable degreaser!

My Russian truck will run quite happily on that oily fuel ;)

My Russian truck will run quite happily on that oily fuel ;)

I wonder what the AA do with the contaminated fuel when they remove it ? Obviously they charge the customer for the removal and disposal, but do they then sell it on for reprocessing? Or do they really have to pay for it's disposal? A full tank of unleaded or diesel isn't exactly cheap .....

Think about it. My tank was virtually empty there could have only been about a litre of Diesel in it as I always run down the tank as far as I can. So one litre of diesel to 49 litres of pertol is about 2% contamination. A petrol car should run quite happily at this level I would have thought.

Simon, You might find the the little petrol that you have left is actually good for the engine. It causes the fuel to burn a little hotter and can de-coke and clean the injectors.

In fact I seem to recall actually being told to put a cup of petrol into the 90 every year or so to clean it out. I cant recall the exact recommended concentration but 1 litre of petrol in 100 litres of diesel should be fine.

Greg

I will just need to wait and see. I did phone a friend who has a garage and he said he would risk it. What is the capacity of a TD5 tank anyway. 100 litres is a lot of fuel and certainly the most I have put in it.