Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

The Gurus in V8s all say that for a V8 the optimum efficiency is not to target 14.7:1 but 14.35:1

Too lean at cruising means HEAT and heat means liner probs ! one reason its pointed at so many 4.6 engine probs as it runs too lean to try to get economy and emmisions :(

Anyway

For General Power & General Tuning I use this AFR Table

post-22-0-10295700-1354368154_thumb.jpg

For better performance (and more fuel usage I have another but can't seem to find it at the moment)

Whilst your AFR Table is "Fair" with WB and a better AFR Table your see dramatic changes in resukts !

Nige

So, today I took another motorway run (whilst datalogging :D) up to Chorley to see a top bloke called Richard from www.activeledlightbars.co.uk who sorted me out with some cracking LED strobe beacons!

AACC9594-C271-460E-9E85-EC6E3F26D453-11029-000005770589BD23.jpg

There are 4x 4 LED heads for the rear of the car, and 2x 2x3 LED heads for the front grill.

Richard also threw in a dashboard/windscreen mounted 4 LED head which was very kind of him. Would be super handy to use the windscreen head BUT I don't want any glare in the car so will have to see!

Anyway, just to let you know that of you are looking for LED beacons then Richard @ Active is absolutely the man, proper decent chap.

He said the best contact is activeledlightbars@hotmail.co.uk and if anyone wants a price list he emailed it to me so I can forward it on to you.

Gonna be a bit more headscratching for me regards getting them all fitted though :P

Oh and it's running around 14.5-15.5:1 at 60-70mph cruise which I'm happy enough with, it varies all the time but its safe enough and lean enough I reckon.

Not easy keeping cruise MAP under 80kpa though, maybe I need a 4.6 for the size of my land rover!! :o

Mr.Noisy, what's your estimated mileage with these settings? As far as I know MS supports EGT sensors, or it's only valid/suitable for turbocharged projects? Please, excuse my poor English, but what the last sentence is all about?

I've had no problems going quite a bit leaner but I have lot of advance at cruise. Take with however many grains of salt as you wish.

My cruise at 100-120 km/h is typically 55-65 on the flat.

Disclaimer: use of this afr target map may damage your engine, kill your kittens and/or cause global thermonuclear war.

post-25062-0-16952800-1354477919_thumb.jpg

Mr.Noisy, what's your estimated mileage with these settings? As far as I know MS supports EGT sensors, or it's only valid/suitable for turbocharged projects? Please, excuse my poor English, but what the last sentence is all about?

I do not know what the estimated mileage is, have not been running the car for long enough yet.

The last sentence means:

At cruising speed (motorway/highway/freeway) I am having manifold pressure around 75-85kpa most times, on the slight down hill I get around 55-60kpa

Basically I have to have the throttle open quite a lot to maintain a cruising speed, which to me makes me think that maybe my car would suit a 4.6 engine better than a 3.5

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for that geek, yeah it's a tough one.

Definitely not looking to fry any pistons for the sake of saving a tenner in fuel each time we go out.

I mean, I have read I numerous places that the later engines were tuned to 14.3:1 because that was a happy compromise, but Des Hammill states in his book that the v8 is happy at 15.5-16:1 at cruise.

Spark map tuning is bloody risky though so I think for the time being at least I'm gonna be happy with 14.5-15:1 at 60-70mph !! :D

Mr Geek- what afr do you get at idle with those targets? My 3.5 seems to be happiest at 14.1 or richer.

Those targets don't affect my idle, its at about 13.7 at 35Kpa and 750 rpm. Somewhat tired 250K km 3.9 motor. Idle advance is 15. I get better results at 22 but it makes it a little unstable. I might be able to go bit leaner if I can get some better statistics on altitude and IAT effects.

To get anywhere near 14.7 I think you would need fully sequential.

Mine idles at 13.5 basically, at 750rpm and around 40kpa iirc.

Decided not to bother trying to get it leaner, need it to have a good strong idle.

Only thing I need to work on now really is cold starting, it starts and runs perfect but flat spots and splutters a bit when you blip it from cold.

It drives excellently though so I'm struggling to work out what to adjust!

If it was a carb you'd say the throttle pump jet needs opening slightly!! :D

Time then to tune you WUE table as this controls the warm up enrichment and starting from cold and adds a increased percentage to the ve table you get ONE go s day only !!

There is info in the tuning thread on this

But

If you get WUE right and then change your ve table it will mess it up again !!

Nige

thanks nige!

ok so will get the VE table nailed and then when im happy will finish with the WUE values :)

one thing i CANNOT FIND is the hardness setting on MLV, i have looked at info/screenshots/everything and the 'cell change' setting appears not to be there ???

also, i think i am happy with MT and MLV but i really be using TunerStudio??

The fact that it costs £31 does not bother me if it is a good, worthwhile product!

Thanks again! :)

You have to buy the full version !!

Whilst I give customers the matched software of megasquirt with megatune and megalogviewer I will never ever give out any of the full versions as thats not on - few £s phil makes helps him do development and upgrades etc like tuner studio

Buy the full version of megalogviewer an tuner studio few bucks and worth every penny

Nige

For what's its worth both are good

I tend to use MLV majority of the time as it lets md have more control than tuner studio

Prob as I grew up with MLV vs tuner

Tuner is far more advanced

As such I always start with MLV use it and MT for diagnostics and use tuner for fine tuning when happy with everything else generally

If I spent more time on tuner I might change my mind maybe - I suggest you get both and use both an do a report !!

That's if your not too MLV sold already !!

Nige

thanks nige!

ok so will get the VE table nailed and then when im happy will finish with the WUE values :)

one thing i CANNOT FIND is the hardness setting on MLV, i have looked at info/screenshots/everything and the 'cell change' setting appears not to be there ???

also, i think i am happy with MT and MLV but i really be using TunerStudio??

The fact that it costs £31 does not bother me if it is a good, worthwhile product!

Thanks again! :)

can you put a link with mt ,mlv and tunerstudio, just for understand the difference, thanks

Ok so tonight I downloaded Tunerstudio!

Looks snazzy, but am yet to find about more about it, need to get it connected to the ECU etc before I can look at it further.

For those interested, it cost £32 for the full version.

Cheers :)

The full version does things like auto tuning, you don't need it to setup your car however I liked the program so bought it to support the developer. Afterall £30 isn't much in the scheme of a MS install & I just couldn't get the hang of mega tune for some reason :glare: