Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

Well, tonight mainly involved:

Fitting nice multi connectors from VWP to the power loom for MS, it now runs again.

Fitting nice Superseal connectors to both my NB sensor and WB sensor, which has now arrived, so the sensors can be quickly interchanged.

Riveting and sealing a plate over the hole in the bulkhead where the original heater inlet was. No more water gushing through the bulkhead! :D

Aaand sorting out/making the first few wiring parts up on my switch panel.

F489C633-7E45-4BBA-AC8D-3531593DF279-1084-0000003C9226997F.jpg

More tomorrow :)

hi chaps

sorry im a sucker for neatness and i'm really pulling out the stops for this job. doing the job once and doing it properly! no chance am i revisiting this any time soon!

tonight sorted out the mounting for the switch panel, tis very sexual, pics tomorrow!

zoltan, yeah i had heard about people doing that but my limited knowledge suggests that tuning in MLV with wideband will be more efficient?

chances are it works both ways round, but i do also have a guage for the LC1 so i can keep an eye on and compare readings between the guage anbd the ecu view.

im just glad its running at the moment, so much work to do and pushing it around the workshop was definitely a PITA!!

Connected my laptop today to check the ignition timing.

Well, laptop says it should be 11.8 degrees ish at tickover.

Fancy timing light says its 24 degrees, wtf??!

Knocked the trim angle back 12 degrees and its gone way ATDC on the pulley, wtf?!?!?!?!

It's taken me all day to realise that it's wasted spark, so it fires twice, hence the timing light gives it double the advance!

It i set my timing light to TIMING (where it doesn't work out the advance for you) it lines up with 12 degrees on the pulley, so it's bang on.

Phew, had me going there!

Tonight's work done!

Basically ran more wires, rearward for work lights and LED beacons, forwards for LED beacons, left side of the dash for map light, roof lining for interior light (upgrade) and right side of dash for CB, then separated and bunched all the earths, and split the loom for fuse board, relay board, switch board, then added any wires running between these locations.

Nige's cable tie technique has got me hooked, so neat!!! :D

Loom is growing:

2CFA20DB-69AD-4E2B-BB2F-E1D1A6B99DBC-3526-000002F5AEA5F194.jpg

More Land Rover repellant illegal neat wiring:

ED99E763-88F3-4832-989E-C471C7C467D6-3526-000002F5A68FFA9A.jpg

And fitted :)

1A212BFE-7C9F-423C-96BB-047FAC66AFA3-3526-000002F71AE3E1F6.jpg

MOAR carling switches arrive tomorrow :D and that switchboard will see some good progress methinks!

Cheers! :)

Sorry Sam, but I have been quite quiet over this but it has to be said

that there are a few problems with your work recently hat you need to coorect

1st, Scotch Locks, there seems to be none of them, similarly it would be reassuring to

have two maybe 3 wires, preferably of differing sizes and colours linked togther with a

poorly crushed terminal or two, and / or wrapped in PVC sticky tape done in the

"Half Cut, blind and in a hurry" Stylee

The current attention to detail and care could confuse many reading this thread

:D

Nige

Give him some credit though, most of the wires in that last picture are red and black, "I'm buying two rolls of wire and thats it, everything is either positive or negative". ;)

It's how I would be if I wasn't as tight as I am and recycle old car wiring looms, you know the ones, where half the cables are suffering from negative blacking, won't accept solder and crumble when crimped, you don't have enough single pieces of each colour or size so you have to join them randomly in the loom :D

Yep, (honestly) got a bulk buy on red down at the wholesaler, so have about 6x 30m rolls of red and a few black.

Making very sure to label each wire at every step :P

Just thought of a genius plan that I will wire in tonight!

Going to fit red "cockpit" lamps, with a changeover switch to switch between white and red lighting BUT it will be a DP switch wired accordingly so when switching to red it will kill the dashboard illumination!

I know it is wrong that I am excited by wiring and lighting, but hey, it's my vice... :D

Phew!

FA6BD342-1B30-4D24-8398-32EAFD13086A-6204-00000598BF122D36.jpg

First time that has been on since 1st November, and it hasn't left the garage either!! :o

Out for a shakedown drive tonight and then hopefully it will be dry tomorrow so we can go data logging!! :)

Got a bad flat spot when I blip it up from tickover, hoping to sort that out rather quickly!!

Cheers :D