HD suspension for hi camper project

I just installed a camper on my OneTen and the suspension is not quite up for the task. It is a bit soft (hangs slightly backwards) and very unstable sideways (rolling is the main problem), probably since the car and camper now stops a 3m height (118inch).... My other truck has the original dual rear springs. Should I fit those or should I go for a aftermarket HD spring and possible dual dampers?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated..

oh, and the car is not raised. Only bigger tires.

post-11398-0-38123300-1353226851_thumb.jpg

I would go for the 130 dual rear springs. Those springs should lift the rear by 75mm

I run a 110 300Tdi station wagon which on a trip can be fully laden and more to 3.400kg. I have normal 235/85 tyres which I run at 30lb front and 34lb rear.

Springs I have fitted are yellow/ yellow front. Red/ green on the rear with 130 helper springs. No ant-roll bars at all.

It doesn't roll at all except when I try to drive it like a rally car on corners.

Standard Land Rover 130 shockers are also fitted.

There's another problem I see.

Too much weight behind the rear axle ? ?

You can load a 110 as much as you like as long as the weight is within the wheelbase.

If I put my tent across the back at the rear door it wallows like a ship in a gale. Move the tent to over the rear axle. No problem.

well, the main weight should be within the axels, or possible on top of the rear axel, the hangover from end of bed is unsupported and floats in the air. But yes I can se that that is a problem i need to adress.

The problem i that the defender rear lights are so big (but beautiful) that I am forced to move the camper a bit back on the bed not to brake them. But I will do a test and try to move it as far in over the wheels as possible, I also have the spare wheel in front now, that need to be removed. maybe i need to upgrade to the not so nice NAS verisons....

thanks for the input.

With that type of load you need all the anti roll help you can get . ! Having a anti roll bar on rear wont hamper your cross country ability hardly at all JMHE .

Fitting dual dampers (shocks) will help as you need to resist the roll tendency as much as possible , as it developes . Make sure your tyres are at the pressure for the load , even slightly on the harder side of that ..Beware swerving , as things can go pear shaped very fast . HTSH

I would also vote for a rear anti roll bar and Old Man Emu HD springs. I think double springs may be better if you need to remove the camper body ocasionally, but if it's a permanent fixture then you should just use the appropriately rated spring in my opinion.

Also think about the shocks, as they will need to be able to cope with the weight and give some reesistance to rolling. I have found Koni heavy trak very good for this, and can be adjusted. Old Man Emu would also be good.

I rate the air helper spring things for applications like this. At least you can adjust them so it's just right - rather than taking a guess when you order coil springs.

Without a load, the double springs are so solid, you might as well not have any springs. At least with the air helpers, you can depressurise them and it's back to normal!

I think Terrafirma now sell the air helper springs.

Si

hmm, would it be enough to run the OME HD springs from old emu and there sport shocks? The weight id covered but I dont know how mutch the helper springs will help if the main spring already is up for the challenge...

Is it possible to combine the Old Emu OME springs with the helper-springs? Or does the Emu springs raise the truck to much? And is there any point?

So far im looking at this:

post-11398-0-63904400-1353659870_thumb.png

Ok. ignore the post above. After doing some research i Think Ive got two options. (except trying to move the camper a bit more forward by removing the rear lights and my spare wheel.)

Opt. 1

Original 130 dual rear suspension and possible ome shocks(?) + Anti rollbar. ≈800£

Opt. 2

Ome HD rear springs and shocks + anti roll bar. ≈1200£

The question is, the Ome spring should give me a 2"lift if I understand the text properly. I don't want to raise my truck any more since its hi enough the way it is. Or should I count them to be the same hight as the original HD ones, which I assume with give a lift if unloaded?

This is difficult to decide...

I used to have LR Genuine HD rear springs, now I have OME HD rear springs..... I really want to go back to my LR, these OME are not a good thing handling weight. Yesterday I put around 900 kg in stones in my car and the rear axle was really down. With my Genuine springs there were no fade or too much diminish in height with 1200 kg of lemon.

In the road, OME are marginally better, but nothing outrageous. I friend of mine have this OME version in his 90 NAS and is really good to ride in broken terrain, but not very good handling additional weight.

I thinks it's better for you to go Genuine in springs, don't know in shocks (OME goes tired fast). Most of 110 overlander coming to Colombia come using Monroe Adventure 4x4 (I don´t know why I think it's for the price) in combination with Genuine springs in HD versions. Most 130's I've seen comes completly original.

I had OME HD springs on my overland truck, which at times of course was very heavy indeed - a 1.5 ton load on the way back, thanks in part to buying a full set of hardwood garden furniture in Kenya : )

The springs gave about a 2" lift from standard ride height. For most of the time I had 130 inner springs inside as well. The handling with both springs was very good - I could still throw the car into corners and it hardly rolled (no anti roll bars). The only problem for me was that on really harsh ground, and under full compression the springs were then too hard, and eventually it cracked my chassis. I was going over very extreme terrain though, and usually quite fast : ) so maybe not a problem you'll have.

The ride height at all times was fine, and importantly it didn't compress much when all the weight was in.

I removed the inner springs eventually to stop the chassis snapping, roll certainly increased but it was a more comfortable ride.

The Koni Heavy Trak shocks helped as well, and I certainly noticed the difference when I fitted some standard oil filled shocks on the rear.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Ive now mounted and used the original 130 spring/dampener setup for a while (driven around 1500km). I also fitted a rear anti roll bar and the difference is huge. The truck sinks around 8 cm (3.1") with the camper on (before it was ca 15cm), so the result is a quite levelled car. No wheel lift in the front and very short, quick stopping roll. I think its reasonably stable in hi way speeds. The steering is still a bit light, so if your to aggressive with it you can start to get it in to a roll/swing on the hiway. But I haven't had any problems so far. I would imagine it being a bit better if it had some more weight in the front...

Thanks for all the advice. They have been grate.

post-11398-0-70380900-1358341001_thumb.jpg