Which headlight units?

Mutz

450 each side. I know they are expensive but its a realitvly new thing and no doubt the prices will come down at somepoint as more are produced and the demand for them becomes more.

In the US, where they are manufactured, they retail for about £530 a pair. (Even for easily sourced RHD ECE approved versions) Somehow, after taking off US retail margin they double in price when traversing the Atlantic. A stiff uplift even taking into account VAT and import.

According to one supplier, as they are ECE approved you can fit them without self levelling and washers. Yet if you wanted to fit them to a new vehicle to get them through EC WVTA (European new vehicle type approval) you'd have to fit them with self levelling and washers. Hence why you don't see them or HID on new Defenders from LR.

Cheers

Steve

Worth fitting relays ??

though I would look up the Voltage effect on lamp output...........

10.5V : 510 lumens

11.0V : 597 lumens

11.5V : 695 lumens

12.0V : 803 lumens

12.5V : 923 lumens

12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage

13.0V : 1054 lumens

13.5V : 1198 lumens

14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage

14.5V : 1528 lumens

Full article here http://www.danielste...ays/relays.html as well as drawing for the non "leccy's"

So definitely the starting point for improved lighting since most standard wired defenders will have no more than 10V at the bulb. It's a no brainer really.

To be honest,

all i did was plug in the new lamps.I did not even put in expensive bulbs!! If the light was bad,next thing good bulbs. But the lights are pretty good.I suppose in the intrests ot science i should pull the socket off one of the bulbs and put a meter on it.My 90 is a 1993.

Just been out for the first time since swapping my sealed beams for the wipacs and the halford 'ultimate' bulbs lamps 'fings wot give off light' and the difference is incredible :) It's way better now, I can see where I'm going :)

It's the same as I use, assuming you mean the super-white bulbs that claim something like 230% brightness and give a tinge of blueness to the light. Even with the slatted bull bar in their way, they illuminate the road as well as my RRC does with its Wipac and standard H4 lamps. If I took the bar off, they'd be amazing.

strange these debates, everyone has a valid opinion for their own circumstance. i would have thought any halogen over a sealed unit would be better as would something like Phillips Extreme +90 over standard. Whether Crystal are that much better than standard on a Puma I am not sure. They were certainly much better than the original lights on my 300tdi.

LED headlamps...............no comment.

Please feel free to correct any errors above, just my view.

regards

Hi,

Unclemicky suggests that he "should pull the socket off one of the bulbs and put a meter on it." Don't forget that voltage drop increases with load, so to get a true working voltage at the bulb you need to have the bulb in the circuit when you test it. You may need to make up a pair of special flying leads to connect to the meter.

Mike