Safety Glasses

Hi Guys,

I know it has been talked about a few times on here but does anyone have any safety glasses that work with normal glasses?

I have some prescription safety glasses but they are rubbish for stopping bits going in my eyes when working under the car, as they are designed for stopping chemicals splashing into my eyes.

I have been using a full face shield but finds it gets in the way when working in confined space so am after something that works in confined space but keeps the crud out of my eyes.

Jason.

What kind of spectacles do you have?

I have light weight jobbers and can only wear a face mask :(

Just light weight ones, the face shield is fine but in instances like today when I was lying under the gearbox tunnel trying to thread a wire I couldn't wear it and filled my eyes with all sorts of crud...

Jason.

I've taken to wearing something like these:

033109_goggles_1.jpg

Which according to Sarah, are very 'Me'. I like them so much I wear them all the time - though Sarah gets annoyed when I wear them in bed!

Jason, I can just imagine you wearing something like this! When you are not using them under the car - you can have fun frightening small children & animals!

Si

http://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/goggles/cat850388?cm_sp=SafetyWorkwear-_-EyeProtection-_-Goggles

I have the jsp ones at a fiver which I find great, especially working underneath LR's. They also do some blast proof :ph34r: bolle ones at £15 but i am struggling to see a need for these unless you do extreme grinding.

I have worn specs most of my life.

I've also worked as a mechanic for most of my working life.

Safety specs weren't available when I started work. I've always done without unless welding or grinding. Funny thing I wore goggles not to protect my eyes but to protect the very expensive lenses in my specs...I know, I know.

I have never liked wearing goggles over my specs, except for welding, as they give reflections which tend to "hide" the work.

Now I use a face mask for grinding/ cutting but just my ordinary specs for normal work under my Defender.

I have worn specs most of my life.

I've also worked as a mechanic for most of my working life.

Safety specs weren't available when I started work. I've always done without unless welding or grinding. Funny thing I wore goggles not to protect my eyes but to protect the very expensive lenses in my specs...I know, I know.

I have never liked wearing goggles over my specs, except for welding, as they give reflections which tend to "hide" the work.

Now I use a face mask for grinding/ cutting but just my ordinary specs for normal work under my Defender.

Mike,

I understand you resistance to wear glasses and I think things are different if you are using a ramp or similar then you are less likely to get crud in your eye rather than lying on your back. The question was asked due to the fact for the second day in a row I had got carp in my eye and they were very sore.

I know that lots of people don't/didn't wear safety glasses but the standard of goggles and glasses a few years ago was dire, I am hoping that things have improved and with the non reflective lenses etc. I don't mind looking daft, most would say that I can do that without trying!!

Most people don't wear ear defenders either but after watching my dad go deaf due to repeated exposure to loud noise in the factory he worked in I always make sure that I do. I think the improvements in safety equipment is a good thing and modern materials are continuing to improve the usability of safety equipment.

Jason.

I've taken to wearing something like these:

033109_goggles_1.jpg

Which according to Sarah, are very 'Me'. I like them so much I wear them all the time - though Sarah gets annoyed when I wear them in bed!

Jason, I can just imagine you wearing something like this! When you are not using them under the car - you can have fun frightening small children & animals!

Si

Where do I get some of these? No really - totally me.

Also Jason you must remember I worked in a different world to now.....

I one get a belt around my ear at work fot wearing gloves while using a hammer. It was deemed dangerous as the hammer could slip. Now you are supposed to wear gloves when using a hammer...

Like the wearing of rubber, or other protective type of glove, I still shot my bare hands into grease.

The only thing I will not do is work on any car that has un-leaded petrol. I don't want that dangerous stuff anywhere near me. Yep when at the MOD at Catterick on Tank Bay I washed my hands daily, more than once a day, in 84 octane leaded petrol.

Where do you get this idea of ramps or similar ?? I generally worked on my back except for the seven years at Neesham of Teeside where we had pits. Still did a lot of jobs on the floor though.

Yes I wish I'd worn ear defenders, I wouldn't be deaf and need to wear two hearing aids.

To finish. I've had more bits in my eyes when wearing goggles than without.

Please though everybody. Take your eyes seriously. Look after them. Fingers as well.

To finish. I've had more bits in my eyes when wearing goggles than without.

And that has been my experience in the past Mike, I think we have all worn the plastic goggles from every DIY shop that dig into your face mist up and seem to let everything past the gaps around the edges. However as things change I thought I would ask for experience on here, it was not just what will work with glasses but which are any good, I like the idea of the Bolle ones as I think they will seal like ski goggles so keep the rubbish out the sides of my eyes, but not reflect a vision of my glasses back at me.

Jason.

Well,

As above I brought a pair of the Bolle goggles, and I have to say they are fantastic they fit really well and stop the crud from falling in my eyes, I had to fit the exhaust for the heater this afternoon and they worked a treat.

So thanks for the recommendations and if you are in the market for some goggles that keep rubbish out of your eyes but allow you to retain vision you can't go wrong with these.

Jason.

Well,

As above I brought a pair of the Bolle goggles, and I have to say they are fantastic they fit really well and stop the crud from falling in my eyes, I had to fit the exhaust for the heater this afternoon and they worked a treat.

So thanks for the recommendations and if you are in the market for some goggles that keep rubbish out of your eyes but allow you to retain vision you can't go wrong with these.

Jason.

Hi Jason,

Did you get the prescription ones or the over glasses type?

Only ask as I've just removed an inch of aluminium swarf from my eye brow...

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Jason,

Did you get the prescription ones or the over glasses type?

Only ask as I've just removed an inch of aluminium swarf from my eye brow...

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I got the over glasses ones, they really do fit well and were not that expensive I got them from tools station in the end as I had a voucher and got two pairs.

My daughter decided to wear them this evening for cutting up onions apparently they are also good for that.

Jason.

wp000433x.jpg