TD5 speedo's and series 3's

ejparrott

I've ready Cwazy and James' post's and website about TD5 speedos and retrofitting them into defender dash's. I'm thinking about the possibility of fitting one in to my 109. It looks almost certain it's going to get an LT77 and probably an LT230 now, and it seems as though it could be a sensible option, if I can find a defender TD5 speedo head! Has anyone done this before? My friends hybrid has a non-series speedo installed, not certain if its from the defender the gearbox came from or the rangy that provided all the running gear, but I know that fits the series panel.

Thoughts anyone?

Ultimatly, The 109 will have a 3.54 rear diff, and runs 750's anyway, well, 23585R16's. Does the t'box ratio play a part in it? I'm never quite sure. I think we'll start out with a 1.4 t'box, see how things go, and maybe then upgrade to a 1.2 perhaps.

Will the head physically fit the series dash do we know? Without hacking that is!

I can't foresee any problems doing that, it's very simple to do. All you'll need is the speedo, a transducer (only genuine) and some wire :)

Mo

That was sort of the thinking, although to be honest, running a speedo cable isn't that hard! I havent quite figured out exactly how much wiring is needed yet beyond the three wires between transducer and head

Will the head physically fit the series dash do we know? Without hacking that is!

I have a head sitting next to me as we speak.....

Diameter of back is 100mm (by measuring internal diameter of retaining ring)

Diameter of face is 105mm

External diameter of retaining ring 110mm

Depth excluding wiring is 67mm

Depth from back of face lip (poor explanation I know) is 61mm

caveat: all measurements taken with a tape measure.

ah ok, so provided the head is the same size as a series and slots through the dash nicely, then that ring should hold it all back nicely.

Cheers!

Next problem will be to replace the then lost low oil pressure, main beam and heater plug lamps which are on the series speedo!

ah ok, so provided the head is the same size as a series and slots through the dash nicely, then that ring should hold it all back nicely.

Cheers!

Next problem will be to replace the then lost low oil pressure, main beam and heater plug lamps which are on the series speedo!

just fit 3 individual circular lights like these to replace the 3 in Series3 speedo http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/warninglights.php

can be supplied with the correct icon on the lense too.

Of no relevance to the td5 speedo.......... but i have a series speedo in a defender dash, its a loose fit. so the opposite, fitting the td5 head in the series dash might prove difficult. Trimming the hole to a larger size is the only option.

G

just fit 3 individual circular lights like these to replace the 3 in Series3 speedo http://www.vehicle-w...rninglights.php

can be supplied with the correct icon on the lense too.

Thats what I would probably go for yes.

Didn't get a chance to get a spare head out last night, will try again tonight!

The series speedo cable won't couple to the LT230 I don't think, so I have to have a new head and cable to suit the LT230 in any case. After that, its the case of running cable or...cable (ok, wire...) I always find running the speedo cable in to the back of the dash a right pig, especially in a series, don't quite know why I find it worse than a 90/110. By having the TD5, I'd cure the wobble, but it's still open at the moment. I'm getting a box on friday, I've asked for the price for the speedo and cable from the donor and will probably start there.