MOTs: Class 7 to 4 if a camper?

Hi,

I've discussed this elsewhere but a mechanic has just told me that "registering your vehicle as a camper" will change my MOT class to 4. Quick background - I have an ex-utility board LR special vehicles 110 (1997). Part of the original special vehicles addition is the slightly reinforced rear suspension with the twin (helper) rear springs. This set-up (as can be seen from the VIN plate) means the vehicle has a GVW of 3500kg (I believe CSW and 90s are 3050kg). Therefore under the new MOT regulations anything with an GVW of between 3000 and 3500kg is a Class 7 MOT. Where I live there are far fewer class 7 MOT garages and ideally I'd like my personal garage to MOT my landy but they are only liscenced for class 4 MOTs so for the past few years I have bitten the bullet and taken the vehicle to a separate garage for MOTs.

HOWEVER I have just been told that if I convert my vehicle to a camper (which I have) then it becomes class4!??? Is this true even if my VIN plate states 3500kg GVW? If yes, what specifically defines a camper - I have a custom fitted wooden bench/bed, a gas hob, wooden storage, heater, fridge etc (but no windows). I cant find anything on campers so I am under the belief that I will be class 7 whatever and this camper rule maybe from times gone by.

Any opinions?

After reading topics on this on self build motor home websites even if its not registered as a motor home but is converted to one you can still mot as class iv. (testers discretion) Newer vans will not be classed as motor homes by the dvla any more the best you can get is "Van with windows" but you are still entitled to a class iv mot.

My F'reg 110 hardtop with HD suspension (from factory, 3500kg gvw registered as light 4x4 utility) has been MOT'd as a class 4 for the last couple of years. It hasn't got windows in the back. When I queried it with the MOT station they said that when they entered the details in the DVLA system that's what it came as. It used to be class 7 3 years ago...

You can re-rate a 3500gvw to class 4 when it's a camper.

I have had a few customers come to me with truly massive motorhomes that are class 4, so it can be done.

Just watch out what you carry, in these large "campers", VOSA also have a category of "living van", which is a camper that carries items that are not required for living. The definition of what items are not required for living is grey area, but example are bikes (motor and pedal), cars, tools, spare parts, animals (like horses) and other stuff.

A "living van" is just handled as normal van/lorry in terms of MOT and driving license.

The reason this term of "living van" was some unscrupulous people were putting a basic bed and sink and toilet in vehicles with a GVW of more than 3500Kg normally used to transport these non living items and claiming they were campers for MOT and license requirements.

This we learnt after many enquiries about our 17,000Kg GVW motorhome living van, plus finding a place with a pit to MOT it as a class 4 or 7 was near impossible as most MOT places use ramps and don't have a lifting capacity anywhere near enough.

My 110 is also an ex utilities HD with the 3500kg weight on the vin.

(I think the front bumper is the extra 400+kg)

Had it MOTd a few weeks ago and it was treated as class 4. Local garage says that they go with whatever class the system says it is.

Does your 110 come back as a class 7 test currently on the MOT system?

My old ex utility 110 was registered as "restricted HGV" and after writing to DVLA I got it changed to PLG. They included a letter saying it had been downrated to 2995KG, despite having 3500KG on the vin plate.

It seems Swansea can do anything, but it depends entirely on how lucky you are with who reads your letter.

Ive been looking at a simialr thing with a VW (which has been entrusted to us for a while) - It was a panel van - converted to camper, - but V5 not revised - there is stuff on the DVLA site that says what they want to see, Bed Storage Cooker etc

this is so true> s eems Swansea can do anything, but it depends entirely on how lucky you are with who reads your letter.

This is a grey area but having spent some research yesterday I think Zardos is correct. As far as I can tell, a "normal" landrover with a GVW of 3500kg will have been automatically upgraded to class 7. Looking at my previous MOTs, my vehicle was class 4 certainly from 2005 to 2009 and then suddenly the 2010 MOT states class 7 presumably because the DVLA knew it had a GVW of 3500kg. They were never notified of the camper conversion so the log book is pretty much as it was originally registered when owned by a large utility firm.

However the camper issue is separate - as in you can have vehicles with greater than 3000kg GVW tested as class 4 if they are a camper includung a landrover. So what is a camper? As Zardos pointed out this is a grey are but me and my mechanic (which is a class 4 Test station) actually looked through their MOT DVLA handbook and clearly found two separate paragraphs: one for "Motor Caravans" and one for "Living Vehicles" - there was very little to determine the difference other than a motor caravan is a vehicle that is designed for temporary living as a private vehicle whereas a iving vehicle is a "commerical vehicle" which has living facilities. It is a grey area. I use my landrover as a camper for fun (driving the mrs around Scotland etc) however I also use the landrover for work (namely winching heavy objects around) but I don't use the "camping facilities" when dong this. Either way I have asked my mechanic to try and re-MOT it at there premices as a Motor Caravan.....I'll update on the results.

Well it went through OK as a class 4 motor caravan.......ironicallly the class 4 at the new garage was more costly than the class 7 I was paying previously elsewhere :wacko: .

Very happy with new full deCAT exhaust and 4 new injectors, timing, valve& service though....she;ls running much better especially more turbo at the lower rev end

ISTR that a missing cat should be a failure.

Having converted a VW Transporter to a camper and registered it with the DVLA as such in the last year, they need to see a permanent bed/folding bed, sink, wardrobe and windows. Send them photos with a covering letter and it comes back as a camper.

Chris

"they need to see a permanent bed/folding bed, sink, wardrobe and windows."

this is similar to what they told me, but the wanted an installed cooker too, the Wardrobe bit cracked me up - but they will allow 'storage'

instead - But Lifting roof, cooker, table, but no bed- Not a camper.

I didn't contact the DVLA at all. The new garage read their MOT manual and tested it as class 4 as it fulfilled the criteria for a motor caravan. Below is a direct copy and paste out of that manual:

A `motor caravan' is "a motor vehicle (not being a living van) which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users". Motor caravans are not classed as goods vehicles for MOT test purposes and are therefore in Class 4 or 5 depending on their seating capacity but regardless of their size or weight.

A `living van' is "a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, which is used for living accommodation by one or more persons and which is also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle". Living vans are classed as goods vehicles and, depending on their weight, are therefore in either Class 4 or 7 within the MOT test scheme or are subject to HGV plating and testing.

Remember that MOT man is unlikely to check which class should be used on these finer points because

a) most will just follow what the computer says

b) you probably removed questionable goods/burden for the test

c) there is no definition off goods or burden not required for living

But if you get stopped by VOSA, possibly the police or have an accident then it might be critical

Theres nothing on the V5 logbook regarding MOT class. The V5 just states model, body (light 4x4 utility), taxation class (PLG), chassis number, engine number and colour. Therefore surely if the garage has put it through MOT as a test class 4 then the DVLA system has accepted it. So do I need to notify the DVLA of anything? When I bought it the camper conversion had been done but the log book was as stated.