TDi Auto

landrover598

i have a 200tdi disco/auto...

basicly i wouldnt have anything else now..... just so easy, pop it in D and away you go.

although since fitting 33" tyres to it it has lost some of its legs...... but as im fitting locking diffs i'll alter the R&P and get it back something like.

as for mpg mine doing 26-28ish depending on what shes doing.

I have noticed a reduction in performance on the road since changing to auto but in my case as a truck that spends 90 percent of its time off road I am more than happy.

The lazy driving on the road can be nice but i much prefer being able to chose for my self what gear to use on the road.

I have noticed a slight reduction in fuel economy too but dont use the truck enough for it too be a concern.

My 300Tdi auto discovery is great, it is a little sluggish of the mark some times but not annoyingly (sp) so (not helped by 31" tyres I suspect) . I get around 27-30 mpg depending on what I type of journey I do. I have to say it is the best vehicle I have owned for doing long (300+ mile) journeys as it is very relaxing to drive.

HTH

Pete.

I don't own one but I've driven several, two of which used to be owned by the company I work for, and I hate them. All you seem to get when you put your foot down (in a Discovery at least; maybe better in something lighter like a 90) is more noise and precious little acceleration.

Some people swear by them but I'm afraid I swear at them. None more so than when I had to put the old company Disco into low range to do a hill start with a cold engine (on road) because all I got when trying to do it in high range was a sort of strangled mooing noise from under the bonnet <_<

The EDC ones with a bit more power are quite a lot better so one that has been tuned might be verging on acceptable.

Tin hat on...

i have a 200tdi disco/auto...

basicly i wouldnt have anything else now..... just so easy, pop it in D and away you go.

Some people swear by them but I'm afraid I swear at them.

You see Dave it's a Marmite thing :lol:

I had a 200dti auto disco for a while, and I sometimes think I shouldn't have sold it, but really I am more of a defender person but that's another matter. Anyway I quite liked driving the tdi auto, yes it was more sluggish than a manual, but not hugely so IMHO, and the left foot brake take off helped getting away from the lights. Used a bit more fuel, i got 24mpg for the same driving I now get 27mpg from my 200tdi 110 manual.

Best thing it to try one if you can and see if you love it or hate.

I have a 110 with a 200tdi and a 3 speed auto. Off tarmac its great. On tarmac its slow, even after a Gwyn Lewis it will only cruse at 60. It dose about 26-28mpg. Just lerant to drive it like a series 3, just dont use the breaks :D:blink: . Other than that its fine. Just takes a few days to get use to. The hardest part is finding a 200tdi with an auto box.

Paul

On tarmac its slow, even after a Gwyn Lewis it will only cruse at 60.

huh :blink: Is this the case with all auto TDi's ? I do 70 something on a daily basis and would like it to stay that way

Best thing it to try one if you can and see if you love it or hate

Sounds like a good idea with all these mixed opinions :wacko:

I had to put the old company Disco into low range to do a hill start with a cold engine (on road) because all I got when trying to do it in high range was a sort of strangled mooing noise from under the bonnet <_<

I had to use low range to get up the hill from Llanerchindda farm with the engine cold. :o:ph34r::blink: Manual Defender 200Tdi.

Chris

Having just changed from 3.9 V8 to 200 Tdi, both on auto boxes I can say that there is little difference on roafd between the two. I am sure if you drove like you stole it then the V8 would be more responisve, but if you drive reasonably then I think there is little to tell them apart.

The one exception to that would be dropping it into 3rd and flooring it to overtake on a country road. The V8 would make a pleasant noise B) and push you firmly in the back, the Tdi just makes (more :huh: ) noise!

Overall, I am very pleased with the conversion. Gone are loads of tricky electrics and improved fuel economy. I get about 22mpg when cruising at 70 - 75.

The one exception to that would be dropping it into 3rd and flooring it to overtake on a country road. The V8 would make a pleasant noise B) and push you firmly in the back, the Tdi just makes (more :huh: ) noise!

Exactly.

V8 = mmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmm overtaken

Tdi = mooooooooooooo[jerk]RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[f***theresanoncominglorry]RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[f**********]

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[swerve]rrrrrrrrrrr[phewthatwa

close]

Chris I remember that hill but it was about 30 degrees :) this was just a "normal" hill that my Tdi 90 will go up in 3rd when warm .... :unsure:

Dave,

The wife has a RRC 300Tdi Auto - an SE Vogue so it weighs in at about 50 tonnes. It has a very low mileage, has been well looked after and has a Jeremy Fearn Twin, cooler set up producing about 145bhp on the rolling road. I have forbidden her to rev it over 4K on pain of death.

It goes better than any standard 3.9autoRRC and from 10mph to 70mph is on par with a 4.2LSE. Yet she achieves 30mpg on a regular basis. It loses out at over 85-90mph. It also happily out performs an Overfinch Diesel P38.

I would lay hand on heart and say it is one of the nicest vehicles I have ever driven.

If I could swap an auto into the 100" I would.

I'm very happy with auto and Tdi (well sort of) on road BUT, from the others I've driven, they need to be tuned. Performance does seem to suffer slightly but its still OK. Noise levels have gone up a biut but I've intentionally left the gearing low so that's to be expected.

The only down side I find is there's no engine braking which makes cornering with any sort of purpose on Simex requires a differant tequnique to manuals.

Overall I do prefer manuals on road but off road I wouldn't go back.