Where to mount the edis

mikec

Mines is next to the ECU in a waterproof box along with the relays and fusebox.

The supplied second hand EDIS connector had just enough wire on it for it to be directly connected to the ECU plug, so one less joint in extending the wires.

Why does mounting it in the engine bay make it simpler or neater to wire.

Id have thought that keeping everything together would make it neater. All the wires can run in the same conduit right into the waterproof box then. Or am i missing something :)

Mines in the engine bay too. As its sealed and theres only a couple of wires that need to attach to the ecu it was better to have it closer to the other bits to keep the wiring tidier (ecu`s between the seats).

I figured fords durability testing is pretty harsh so if their happy for it being in the engine bay then so am I. And I don`t plan on deep wading with this one either.

taken from here around 3/4 of the way down the page.. - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79554&page=5

Why are you putting the edis module in there? why not keep that under the bonnet?

If you do keep the edis in there make sure you use a screened cable for the signals and try not to run the edis wiring in close proximity to the MS harness as the coil wires can induce rogue signals into the MS harness if you are not careful.

^^

To add to above - EDIS is waterproof as it the EDIS Plug

:)

Nige

Why are you putting the edis module in there? why not keep that under the bonnet?

If you do keep the edis in there make sure you use a screened cable for the signals and try not to run the edis wiring in close proximity to the MS harness as the coil wires can induce rogue signals into the MS harness if you are not careful.

^^

To add to above - EDIS is waterproof as it the EDIS Plug

:)

Nige

If im not mistaken, the back of the edis unit is aluminium (metal of some sort) and is a heatsink. I was under the impression this should be bolted upto a metal surface to help with heat dissapation as it gets warm.

purely something ive read, hopefully Nige will comment!

If im not mistaken, the back of the edis unit is aluminium (metal of some sort) and is a heatsink. I was under the impression this should be bolted upto a metal surface to help with heat dissapation as it gets warm.

My waterpoof box has a metal backplane so the EDIS is mounted on a metal surface :P

Gentlemen - it doesn't matter!

There are various arguments for & against various positions but the EDIS will work ANYWHERE and the ECU won't mind it being nearby unless your wiring is terrible.

Mine is mounted right next to the ECU, inside the truck, and both have been entirely fine for the last 6 years.

I've never noticed the EDIS get hot but I guess if it's in a hot engine bay heat-sinking might be a consideration. Personally I reckon inside the car is better as there's less mud & moisture to get at connections.

Mine's fitted inside an ip65 box with the ecu that is velcro'd down to my centre console next to me. Meaning if my butt is getting wet then i can unstick the box and lift it up a bit. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It's screwed to a plastic board and i've not had trouble with heat.

G

Mines on the roof of the car next to the ECU on a sheet of ali, I did use some decent shielded cable from the VR... which i'm told was quite expensive... after i'd helped myself to half the reel :unsure:

Some people i've spoken to say they don't even use shielded cable.

Well!

Mines mounted in the engine bay, I figured seeing as ford designed it for engine bay and it wanted a heatsink and it saves running coil wiring with sensor wiring I would screw it to the inner wing.

But I guess it really doesn't matter :D

I used shielded for VR and for SAW/PIP :D