Reasonably priced TIG welders.

Nigelw

What am I likely to be looking to pay for a reasonable TIG with a foot pedal control up to say 150A?

After an hours practice session I found the scratch start acceptable on steel and was horrified on ally!!! Put it on the pedal and ally went ok'ish but practice needed!!!

This is all in aid of a pet project but what and why would you recommend?

I will go for a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 (that is, MMA, TIG, pulsed TIG for alloys and plasma cutter).

You can find some cheap ones at e-bay, but beware of shipping cost, as the rise overall price quite a lot.

Here just an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT-312-TIG120-ARC-120-CUT-30-3-in-1-Welding-machine-PT-31-Torch-220V-240V-/260903971101?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3cbf16a91d

Problem with TIG is the expense the Argon bottle.

My brother bought some years ago a Selco Inverter MMA welder, suitable also for TIG. Last year he converted it to TIG, but TIG torch + bottle (no pedal, hand operated) were not cheap, about 500€ (and it was a sale!). Price of original inverter was half of that.

Don't rule out good second hand one

Miller Kempi etc

new : http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/TIG_Welder/tig_welder.html

Esab, thermal arc and thermodyne are good, and also non invertor - MTA AC/DC 185, 225, 265 Tig Welders

I have used a 225 and it was very nice and stable

AC even more importnat is a good maker as the prices near double.

Consider a watercooled torch with flexible head too, then you can have a lioghtweight small torch thats does thicker stuff than you'd think :D

HTH

Nige

Don't rule out good second hand one

Miller Kempi etc

new : http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/TIG_Welder/tig_welder.html

Esab, thermal arc and thermodyne are good, and also non invertor - MTA AC/DC 185, 225, 265 Tig Welders

I have used a 225 and it was very nice and stable

AC even more importnat is a good maker as the prices near double.

Consider a watercooled torch with flexible head too, then you can have a lioghtweight small torch thats does thicker stuff than you'd think :D

HTH

Nige

o_teunico the trouble with those machines is that they are all scratch start and with the ally welding I will need the pedal control, I like the idea of being able to stick TIG and plasma cut so maybe it would be worth a shot in the future?

HFH now you have given me something to think on!!! Spot on with the second hand, I know I am silly sometimes and try to buy new but that is probably my best bet TBH, and I also made a new contact a week or so ago who does disposal of industrial equipment and salvage, they handle a lot of bankruptcy stock clearance and the likes so it is perfectly possible that a visit to their warehouses might yield something? I have an advantage too that I have three phase electricity in my barn and as a lot of the bigger stuff is 3P there will be some good stuff to be had I am sure.

Thanks for the wake up....

Thanks Steve, I posted on my iPad and copying the link isn't a goer using the eBay app.

I'll stop looking now I know you can't use it if it's in the uk.

Oh dear........

I nearly had a trouser accident this afternoon whilst visiting the warehouse, you should have seen the kit in there!!!

I want one of everything not just the TIG :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: They had everything, I got really excited when I saw a full 200T press sitting there in the corner of the yard, OMG they had plate benders, pillar drills, metal turning lathes, wood turning lathes, fork lift trucks, and some other stuff I have no idea what it was for but seriously cool!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet as I am having to go out on the road with my boss taking X-rays and I need to make an appointment to go and look round!!!

I have not forgotten but will deffo be next week for sure as the auction is tomorrow night and all of the X-rays are done now so a few disappointed owners who won't be taking their horses there but at least I can get on with my car now and visit the warehouse, been rubbish getting back dipping in to the forum and back out for more X-rays, as you can tell, my least favorite activity at the practice, especially when we are not getting back until 8PM and I hate young horses!! Especially those that want to kill ya :blink: