Scavenging mechnical parts - tips, hints, good sources, etc.

FridgeFreezer

This was going to be a slightly more specific question about something I wanted to make, but I thought I'd open it up a bit as we've all scrapped things like transfer boxes or diffs because they are beyond repair... but parts of them may have some sort of use elsewhere (think Bill's home-made portals for a top example!).

I was looking for a pair of gears and rollers to make a small rolling mill or beading tool, current idea is to gut a surplus hydraulic gear pump for the matching gears but I'm drawing a blank for decent rollers, although TSD handed me a box of TDi belt tensioners which show promise ;)

So - what bits can you scavenge from the mechanical remains of Land Rovers (or elsewhere) that have another use?

Could you use winch rollers for the rolling mill?

I made my 6x6's three speed transfer box out of LR S3 transfer box gears and shafts, cut and shut and reworked to get what I wanted.

My electric tractor is about 95% scavenged scrap, the other 5% is secondhand purchases and a few new electrical bits. The scrap metal yard I frequent is happy for me to poke about and buy as much, if not more, then I take in to them.

My workshop has a scraps pile where, today, I was scavenging some diff gears, from an exploded diff, to make a right angle gearbox.

I also recycle trees cut for firewood, and other cut timber, to make furniture and small wood craft projects.

My fiance scavenges old bike tyres, inner tubes, umbrellas, electrical scrap, etc. to make belts, bags, keyrings and jewellery to sell. She also works collecting recycling in York and scavenges the collections for her employers for extra income.

I built a 100% scavenged pedal powered smoothie maker for them which they are using for fund raising at events. I have also been asked to build a solar food dryer for them out of scavenged parts.

My house driveway is laid with scavenged cobbles from when a nearby council was digging them up to replace with tarmac. The stone walls and stone gateposts on my drive are scavenged from a nearby house when the builders were demolishing.

I have built a recumbent tadpole trike (Ratrike) from scrap and I am in the process of building a second (The Creature), with front wheel drive, also from scrap. I have the beginings of an electric pick up truck in my workshop that is also going to be scrap built, but it will ned to be IVA so I doubt it will be 100% scrap sourced

[proud to be a Womble!] :i-m_so_happy:

Could you use winch rollers for the rolling mill?

I don't think so, it's going to be quite small as it's for my GF to use for jewellery, she doesn't really have any bits of metal bigger than 50mm. This also means the rollers need to have a very smooth finish to avoid marking the piece.

The 2nd idea, as I have more than one scrap pump, is to roll a bead into the end of coolant pipes, which will require a pair of dies turning up on a lathe anyway.

Quite an impressive list of scavenging there! I love poking round scrapyards but don't get the chance these days. :(

I don't think so, it's going to be quite small as it's for my GF to use for jewellery, she doesn't really have any bits of metal bigger than 50mm. This also means the rollers need to have a very smooth finish to avoid marking the piece.

At the scrap yard I found a couple of wheel bearings, those wide double row ones that you get in the front hubs of some front wheel drive cars. Not too large a diameter and very smooth on the outside of the bearing.

If you can get a couple or three from a car garage you could put a spot of weld into the balls and then drive it from the inner race.

Otherwise I'm sure most folks have one of those mini pasta makers in the kitchen that have never seen a second use since their wedding.

Most bits of metal have a use. Needed something to produce a compound curve for a body panel I was (IS) making for the Disco and found that rhe radius on an old Mini CV joint was pretty bloody close. The pin out of a Raiko bush was used to make a "dimpling tool".... Like I said all metal bits have a use, it's storing the bloody things that's the problem...

I'm actually planning on gutting an old hydro pump as I have a bucket of them that I can't seem to give away, and they contain two matched (equal size) and quite deep-toothed gears... there is a sheet beading tool in the lab which uses two motorbike gears ;)

Plan is twofold;

For maximum brownie points, a less £eek version of one of these, which needs nice hard shiny rollers (and optionally some assorted notches for wire forming). I guess rollers would be no more than 15-20mm dia really.

And for when I finally get round to replacing the pipework on the 109 with something neat & shiny, something likes this. Again, down to ~12-15mm dia for the small roller would probably be a good thing for those fiddly little air/coolant/breather pipes you get in engine bays, on the plus side the other roller can be quite large, and it's less critical to drive them from matched gears.

Found whilst trawling the net:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=849a7bfc23571d0d56243620612625d5&t=5553

I also found this, but it seems like a bit of a half-assed job really (although undoubtedly less spendy!):

beader.jpg

I have seen the Parker tube bead rollers, very neat things, bloke who had them had a

set, it's not a one size fit's all jobbie.

The other thingie with a ball bearing is neat, I have seen a hoem made one, it's one

of theose things I will make one day.

The gears in the little roller are out of a Montego starter motor. I used two gears from the lathe for my big bead roller when I scrapped the lathe I forgot about the gears and the handle, but as the little bead roller has a clutch[inside the starter gears] it works OK with a mole wrench for a handle.

I have just pulled the big bead roller out of the hedge, to bead my replacement footwells.

I managed to fit a pair of gears from an old Velocette gearbox. I couldn't find a steering

wheel, they make good handles, so I put a raro flex plate on it as a handle, now I am wondering about fitting a motor!

beadroller-small.jpg

hose_joiner4.jpg

Ta very much EJ, I might take you up on that if I ever get near enough to the shed to do some tinkering!

For those interested, the hydro bits I have surplus to requirements are here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70197

Free if you collect, gawd knows what the P&P would be on 'em!